“Going down going down going down”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chiang Mai
Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4
Ranked #157 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have lived here for two periods of six months each (in 12-13 and 13-14). That would suggest that the place is ok.

It is merely ok. The gym is Jurassic and utterly decrepit, and the "music"/ noise is unbearable. The equipment needs renewing completely.
The restaurant in the lobby is actually very good, but is rarely used cos most people are either eating out or cooking in their rooms. The restaurant has excellent choices and is remarkably cheap. It would be a shame if this place went out of business.

The one big plus for anyone contemplating a long stay in Chiang Mai is the proximity of Hillside 4 to nearly all the restaurants worth patronising in this part of Chiang Mai.
Some of the best are: Pern's, Why Not? and an Indian restaurant in Khad Suan Kaew mall (though this latter has zero romance). Plenty of Thai restaurants nearby, if you can stomach that sort of food.
Hillside 4 is also close to a brand new mall called Maya. Just 200 yards up on the corner of Huay Kaew and Nimman Haemin. Wonderful place for its air-con, but not a soul there (which also makes it enjoyable). God alone knows how the place can make money. However, there is a Rimping in the basement of Maya that sells decent foreign food, and also (if you have a Thai friend) a cheap but v good Thai restaurant.

Generally, the interior of Hillside 4 is gloomy. The wi-fi at 700 baht unlimited per month is a rip-off.
If you plan on staying 3-6 months, choose a side of the complex facing AWAY from the Doi Suthep mountain, thus avoiding the intense afternoon sun that makes that side of the building an oven. Also, the Doi Suthep side must now put up with a GIANT tv screen on the front of the Maya mall that totally ruins your sight of the mountain.

If you choose the city side, you will be cooler and probably spend less on rent. You should NEVER pay more than 12k baht in Hillside 4 for a one-bedroom suite. Many can be had for much less.

Room Tip: Choose room facing city for more comfortable heat level. Eat in the restaurant in the lobby, cheap...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank LongJohnFanning
There are newer reviews for Hillside Plaza & Condotel 4

Reviewed May 7, 2014

This once must have been a 5 star place to stay. It is now old and used but still good. I signed up for a 20 day pass, 700 baht, to the gym & pool and nightly yoga. This is a great deal. The gym is now on the 2nd floor. I work out on the weights and equipment which they have everything you could ever want. I then go up the the 4th floor to the shower and pool for a nice swim and suntan. The water was very nice unlike the other review that said the water was green. You can swim laps but the end has a shallow area so you have to bear the right side to push off an angled wall but it does work. The showers are old and dingy and the shower heads are weak old but it gets the job done. Small locker room and bring your own lock. Towels provided. The below ground parking charges 20 b but you can get you pass stamped and it will be refunded to you. Sometimes I was given a bad to to get my 20 b back so I now just park down the street and walk Poor customer service. You can buy water and food but I bring my own to save money. Also many stores and restaurants on the 2nd floor . Also includes a nice massage service. Over all a good place to workout and swim. The price to stay seemed very high to me but I did not see the rooms.

Room Tip: See the room first and ask if it is quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank danahsutton101 .
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Tel: +66 053 225 944, +66 053 224 241-9
Fax: +66 053 225 981
www.hillsidecondo4.com
Email: 4@yahoo.co.th
Review; I have stayed here before. I stay here because it is close to a supermarket (Tops) & it has both a pool and exercise room. I am old. I walk with a cane.
The 1st thing people should consider is there are a number of problems here. There are things you will have to put up with if you are staying here. If you are staying her long-term you should know about the ants, cockroaches, lack of maintenance & limited internet access.
If you stay here long-time you will pay extra for; water, electric, room cleaning if you need, access to pool & exercise room. All are reasonable. Depending on who you rent a unit from you may also pay a “common fee.” Currently it is 1125 baht/month. Oh, TV reception is extra too. There are 3 choices. Best choice for long term renters is going through True Vision by yourself. Many different packages. For example; Platinum package is 2155 baht/month, first month is free and if you stay 6 months or more you get your 2000 baht “deposit” back. True Vision office at Kad Suan Kaew shopping centre where Tops supermarket is. A 10-15 minute walk.
Internet access; please buy a card for access (your own user & password codes) to wi-fi network. The card I bought was 120 hours (Way too many for me) for 1 month, then it expires, for 500 baht. Be patient. Connections are temperamental. You may or may not have average connection regardless of the time of day. I tried it at ALL times even at 2, 3, 4 AM.
Pool; “sometimes” the pool's water turns green. Informing the “correct” people might be a waste of time. They fix it when they decide to. Period. Lots of people swim laps here. Green water & a lack of maintenance is a problem. Many people complain. Get used to waiting. Maybe weeks!
Exercise room; don't bother to bring your own music/MP3 player unless you have noise-canceling headphones. The Thai music they play and refuse to turn down will be louder than what you have.
My total cost; rent + utilities + TV + pool/exercise room access = +/- 18,000 baht per month. A pretty, pretty, pretty good deal. Watch out for lots of ants & cockroaches. Keep food in containers or fridge. Keep EVERYTHING as clean as possible to avoid BUGS! A general lack of maintenance is standard here. Even keeping all food sealed you will have both ants & cockroaches.
They do have a mini-mart & laundry on premises. “Possible” renovation noise depending on room location. I'd say it is an average place with a few problems you “could” live with. Stayed here in late 2013- early 2014.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank salemnobody
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I read some previous negative comments and I wish to insist that this is a great place to stay at, but as each appartment is owned by individuals owners like me, Thai and foreigners, the management of each place might be different, so its rental prices and decoration as well. For this reason, it is "absolutely" a necessity to view it "before" renting it! Witthout any doubts this place is in "the best location", if you wish to stay close to the most animated district, with its jazz clubs, restaurants, big Malls etc. and keep fit (it has 2 big swimming pools and a huge gym). I just bought 2 CONDOS there, facing the swimming pool and I am looking for serious tenants short term or long term. Send me your email and I will answer you. Thank you.

Room Tip: View the condo BEFORE you decide to rent it. Each of them is different!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Celia D
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I stayed at Hillside Condo for a month at an overpriced 14,000B ($400) plus 700B for internet,and a higher than average electricity bill and water bill for Thailand. I could write a 4th M.A. thesis length list of complaints, but will cut to the low lights:

- The cleaning service (another 1,000B per mo. or upwards of 500B per TIME depending on type of cleaning) did not include the changing of sheets, and I was left to wash them myself in the overpriced laundry area.

- My DVD player did not work, and when they sent a technician he had NO idea how to fix it (despite his professional looking tool belt). He proceeded to take it away for repairs, and never called back. When I inquired at the desk they sent another technician who had no idea what had happened. Only after stringent complaints, and the unfortunate but inevitable use of my 'CAPS LOCK voice' to the was I able to squeeze a spare DVD player from them, a process that took 5 days.

- The internet service was spotty and slow best.

- The hallways are dingy and grim.

- The lobby and 'mall' area, other than the Japanese retirees that seem to take to the hotel, is a creepy ghost town.

- The desk staff are nice enough, but seem completely clueless and left to their own devices. They do not follow up with promises to investigate inquiries or problems you may have.

- There were three power outages during my stay - one lasting more than two hours.

Staaaaaaaay Awaaaaaaaay

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Nic B
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here from June to July. Quite an experience I must say. When I checked into my room the shower was broken, the repair guy was not able to fix it, the internet did not work even though I had already paid 700 baht for it. They could not refund me.

The room was dirty and there was still garbage from the previous owner in the room when I chedked in! When I asked the main desk, they assured me it was cleaned.

The airconditioning unit looked very old and not the standard modern AC units you see everywhere, also it was full of dust which made everyone in the room using it immediately allergic.

During my stay there was constant renovations going on, with super loud noise from 7am to 10pm. Unnaceptable at those hours.

At the end of the month they overcharged me for the power, TV and water, which was another 3000 baht I had to pay on top of the 14,000 baht rent. It's ridiculous and way too much money and I'm never staying at Hillside again.

Room Tip: See the rooms first!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Thomas F
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The place looks nothing like the photos on here or their website. From the photos I saw it looked super modern but most are photoshopped and actually the entire place looks more like a rundown building from the 1960s. There's a few modern renovated rooms, but that's not the ones they give out! I am serious. The rooms themselves are okay, but even they look very very old and rundown as well.

The ground floor is this desolate shopping mall with huge empty rooms like one snooker hall without any snooker tables and broken down furniture. It's as if a nuclear bomb went off in this building and everybody just left. Actually it looks a lot like North Korea.

I've stayed at A LOT of places in Asia and haven't seen something as rundown as this.

The WiFi speed I tested was about 7mbps down and 1mbps up, but that's when it works. It cuts outs every few minutes and sometimes for hours, it's complete unusable. Which is a real pain in 2013.

The water-cooker in the room was broken. After checking in, the towels promised were suddenly not included in the service any more. Nice.

Staff was rude and seemed unable to run a building of this size as there was constantly groups of people at the ground floor desk asking for help with problems in their room.

Two good thing: the pool! It is large and actually one of the best things about this place, but it's not well maintained either: the water looks green and very foggy. And the view is pretty magnificent, looking straight into the mountains.

After staying here I found out there's a lot better places in Chiang Mai for this price. So I moved out after a month. If you do want to stay here, I recommend to try it out for a day and see if you like it and you'll see it for yourself!

Room Tip: I'd say go for rooms on the mountain side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo