“A little overpriced for what it actually is.”
Review of SK House

and 1 more site!
SK House
Ranked #504 of 776 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Sk house cost us £12 per room, I didn't think they were worth this price, dark rooms with an outdated look. It says free wi-fi out front but it's a lie you only get free wi-fi for the first half an hour then either pay for it or keep going to reception for the new username and password which will only last for half an hour again. We stayed for three days and on the second we walked through reception when one of the staff basically shouted at us asking what we were doing the next day and we said we had booked a cooking course which then she slammed her hand down on her tour brochure folder and shouted why hadn't we booked it with her not in a friendly funny way at all. I wouldn't go back here, especially when you can get so much more for £12 a night.

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for SK House

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed two nights in end of january 2013.

First impression was that the staff was not very friendly when checking in and when asking about tours. The person at the tour-booking desk was wearing sunglasses while we were talking to her and was trying to push us to buy their tour which was almost twice as expensive as the other stuff we had been looking at other places in town. Also you had to pay 200B per bag in storage if you would book with another tour company... steep price as we paid 250 in total for a double room. --> we did not book with them.

After our first night in room A6 (in the annex on the other side of the road) my back started itching and I had around 30-40 bed-bug bites spread out on the back. As we were doing a cooking class and went to the sunday night market we came back too late to check out of the hotel so we had one more night there.

Handling the bed bug situation I calmly went to the staff and explained the situation. They were very polite and listened to me and got a room (no. 221) for me in the otherwise full hotel. They also said they would help with tumbledrying all our clothes and even our backpacks for us while we went trekking the next day (with another company). We were told not to bring anything in the new room to prevent spreading the bed bugs.

After an hour we discovered a tiny bug of some sorts on a pillow and when flipping the pillow found a big 6-8 mm grown one... we took it to the reception and they were very sorry to see another room was "infected". They got us another room (no 325) which we inspected thoroughly without finding anything... And we slept peacefully without getting bit.
The staff handled everything very professionally and did what could be expected. In thailand you probably get farther by talking calmly to them. It is very difficult to completely avoid bed bugs as many low key travellers pass through thailand.

Two days later when we returned from the trek all clothes and backpack were washed and tumbledried free of charge.

The travel desk managed to book us train tickets and get us on the 17.00 train with time to spare. Impressive as we had two empty backpacks and 7-8 plastic bags with travel stuff in our hands at 15.45. We had to pay 100B extra per ticket including the station transfer.

All in all not a place we will stay again, but they did some stuff right...

Room Tip: When we were there there were bed bugs in both the main hotel (room 221) and the Annex on the other...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Our first room was number 14a, and one of the beds were broken, we repaired the window ourselves and there was a loud noise all night because of the washing maschine on the roof.
The beds were good and the room we got a couple of days later when we got back from trekking was way better.
Another thing is that you have to ask for a new wifi password every half hour.
I think you can find better places in Chiang Mai even cheaper than this.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank MathiasSteenstrup
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have booked for 7 nights in this guesthouse and I'm very satisfied with it. Location/price are perfect. Very nice building and I have had no bad experience with the service, as others describe in their reviews. Maybe it is strange that you have to pay for wifi in your room, but the quality of the connection is very good and the price is low, so I have no problem with that.

Room Tip: ne nood for airco, the fanrooms are OK and the nights in Chiang Mai are relativly cool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank unpolished
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The biggest advantage is the location in City center, to visit Chiang Mai.
You will find around
- massage services around,
- good Thai food places,
- lot of bars driven by foreigners and these are the places where you can meet travelers, talk English and share the travel experiences.

Nice antique wooden furniture makes the place nice to stay.
But really poor hotel service (or no room service at all, poor laundry service and reception service) is the main disadvantage which stops to recommend this hostel to you. As well poor bathroom conditions were not acceptable for us. WiFi free only for 30 min.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anna J
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My experience at SK was lousy from start to finish. It started with them scamming us at the trainstation by pretending to be tourist officers and ended with a screaming match after they completely screwed my travel plans and wouldnt even apologize. In between, we were nickel and dimed for everything- nothing is free. The wifi is only free in the lobby, in your room you have ro buy access for 30 minutes at a time... OMG. The staff at SK range from unfriendly and unhelpful to incompetent to the nastiest most psycho rudest person I've ever met. The only person who smiled was the woman who was so incompetent that she booked my train ticket for the wrong day. When the staff saw that they booked the wrong train, they were not apologetic at all- they were indifferent! The man who was supposed to help me insisted that I told him the wrong date, which is obviously impossible! The man was just lying to my face- with a nasty raised voice! Then, he insisted instead that it was my fault because I didn't see the mistake on the receipt... Because its MY job to make sure he does his job. Unbelievable. I explained over and over that it was impossible that I said the wrong date and it wasn't my job to check his work-and that he owed me an admission of fault and apology. To this he threatened to not fix the situation by the calling the bus. He is the single most dreadful person I've met traveling and has no place working in customer service. It was just a negative, unfriendly bad place. There are so many nice places in the same area. Never go to SK!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank TravelingpandaGirl
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Arrived at SK after a very long train journey from Bangkok. Nice 'antique wood' feel to the place. Travelling with a mate, the twin room we had was adequate with a small flat-screen TV and the free hour of wi-fi was welcome although for the price, it would've been good to have had wi-fi thrown in for free anyway. The pool was clean and a welcome means of cooling down. For me, apart from the pool, there wasn't really anything to write home about.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends