All reviewsawana houseroof terracetop floorold cityswimming poollert roscooking lovesunday marketfamily roomguest houseair conshared bathroomeast gateclean roomsstayed here for nightslovely guesthousetha phae gate
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in this guesthouse for four nights. Awana House is centrally located and is facilitatedbwith a pool, which is nice during the hot days of May! Although the staff was never Rude and was willing to help, some of them came across as a bit unfriendly (never smiling, not always responding to saying hello, etc.).

Our room had both a fan and airconditioning, which made sure the room was cooled. The bed was pretty and comfortable, although a little hard (but I believe that is quite common in Thailand). Further the room looked clean, although the toilet smelled somewhat like old urine, even after it was cleaned, which was unpleasant. In addition, the towels were certainly clean, but did not smell nice and clean.

Further, the breakfast was nice and the hotel offered a lot of choice. the Awana massage salon across the street was also very good! Overall, Awana House is a hotel that delivers good value for money, and with a little room for improvement!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank AM02
rabertsch, Manager at Awanahouse, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Chiang Mai. Your valuable comments will be shared among our team. It is a great pleasure to hear that you’re pleased with the location of our guesthouse and that our swimming pool and rooms had conveniently facilitated you during your stay.
Unfortunately the bed was a bit too hard for you. We’ve selected to have box spring mattresses with a soft top.

We’ll surely discuss with our staff to pay attention and be more attentive to respond when guests say “Hello”. However, it is never our standard to disregard guests.

Regarding your remarks on bad odor. Though having the toilets cleaned and still having a bad smell it might be caused by having a problem with the drain, bringing bad air back into the bathroom. We’ll do further investigation to make necessary improvements
Also we’ll have an internal review of the laundry work process, to find out why the towels not have a nice smell after washing.

Please accept our apology for these inconveniences during your visit.
Thank you once again.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This was my second year at the Awanahouse, and it's a terrific find. Friendly staff, very safe and secure, awesome Internet (had to work a bit while on vacation), small clean pool, in-room safes, air conditioning and great location just inside the old city at the beginning of the famous Sunday market. This is just an outstanding value. Now they have hired one of the instructors from the Thai Cottage Cooking school (Zee), so the food in the little on-site restaurant is terrific, and incredibly affordable. If you're looking for a quaint, convenient, friendly and safe place to stay, you just can't go wrong with Awanahouse. Haven't heard a single complaint from any of the guests, this year or last. I will be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed in Awanahouse during the Songkran festival in 2012. The location is great - right next to the Tha Pae gate and the walking street at night, so the whole old town is within walking distance.
The room is good with okay equipments, shower and bed, and I also got a little balcony facing the street, which brings some noise from the new year celebration but luckily not at night.
The staff are really helpful, tho not speaking very good english but you can tell they are trying their best to be welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank James-Tsai
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed in Awana House this year in march. I just love this B&B in Chiang Mai. The rooms are big, and lovely decorated they have good beds with good pillows and they are very clean. Staff is always helpfull, and they provide a smiling service. Also a nice Awana massage parlor across the street. They can arrange tours for you with a helpfull driver & guide who knows many interesting things about the area. I stayed there before last year, and can highly recommend Awana House.
Elly Spiering
The Hague
Netherlands

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed here with my two teenagers. Booked the family room which was very spacious but on the top floor opening onto the panorama roof terrace where an open "overspill" area is used for backpackers and can get noisy.

Our room was for four people (king size bed and bunk beds) but only had two towels, two glasses and no drinking water.

I notice from other reviews that the manager is very defensive of the cleanliness of this hotel. The room was ok but not overly clean as he suggests. The maid obviously cleans the rooms with the door open and forgets to clean behind the door which was thick dust when we closed it. The bathroom floor and wall tiles near to the floor could do with descaling and a drop of strong floor cleaner would clean the grout between the tiles.

Check-in and check-out was indifferent. No smiles, no information. Just given a pencil case with items inside such has a very handy torch, wifi code and room key.

I have no objections to taking my shoes off upon entrance to my room but I have never been asked to remove and leave shoes outside the hotel door before even entering reception and then having to walk three flights of stairs bare foot carrying heavy luggage unaided !

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family