“Good Value for money”

Thaphae Garden Guesthouse
Ranked #259 of 825 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I can only say its good value for Money! We are a group of four people, both pair of us were in honeymoon, we stayed 4nights in Chiangmai, so we want to find a clean and Cheap GH, and finally were attracted by the pictures fo this hotel, the real hotel looks just like how it was showed on the website. The location is brilliant, only 5 minutes walk to Thapan Gate, and 5 minutes walk to the night markets, quiet and clean. Cheap Lundry.It has free wifi everywhere, and got nice speed as well,and for a GH, it has a swimming pool, only25$ for a night, and it can't be any cheaper, great value for money. But one thing I need to remind everyone who are going to book is, they only clean the house every three days, and the breakfast is very expensive, 6$ as it compare to the room fee. But still ,it was worthy of the price.The hotel reception: it was runned by a family , Mom had a bad manner, never smile, but son is very smiling and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Thaphae Garden Guesthouse is a good and quiet place to stay. clean room and near the center of Chiang Mai. The Guesthouse also has a swimming pool, but he is not very nice placed and the Lobby and the Ground floor is not that nice as on the Website.

Room Tip: Nice and good place also for familys but where is the nice Garden as the name say. "Thaphae Gar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This guesthouse was beautiful with lovely staff!!
We arrived early in the morning after a long train ride from Bangkok - they were so welcoming and helpful. Usually you can leave your bags in storage but as our rooms were available we were able to check in nice and early which was great!!
The staff were soo helpful, suggesting things we could do and helping us get to different places. The location is great! We were here over New Years and found the location perfect - close the countdown at Thaphae gate and close to the night bazaar which is a must see! Would highly recommend this place :) Lovely, lovely staff and yummy breakfast!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a air con room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey B
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Thaphae Garden. The rooms are nice, spacey, well equipped and clean. The guesthouse is really well located - walking distance to old town and the night bazaar is just around the corner. There is a pool here also, but it is in the front of the guesthouse (pretty much on the street really) and most of the day it is in the shade. I never saw anyone taking a dip. I also missed the "travellers vibe" here - there's no real social area and I hardly saw anyone while staying here.
All in all, very good accomodation for reasonable money.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Being Thai myself and I have been to Chiang Mai many times, this is my first time staying in a guesthouse (Before this trip, I always stayed in normal hotel or my friends' houses).

Thaphae Garden Guesthouse was found from Agoda when me and my foreign friend looked for the cheap and good guesthouse in Chaing Mai city centre. The price is very attractive and the pictures from Agoda made me book the room just a night before we arrived there.

We left Bangkok around 8pm by a coach from Moh Chit 2 and we arrived Chiang Mai around 5.30am in the morning. With my half-sleep, the local taxi driver told me that this guesthouse is opened 24 hrs for check-in if the room is available. Therefore, we made our way to the guesthouse and got the check-in with 50% extra charge (as to cover the half-morning that we arrived too early). Apart from additional charge (which is just about 5 GBP). The room we stayed is with fan not the air-conditioner as the weather was great when we went there. So before you book the room, please think about the weather too, it helps you save cost and feel more comfortable. Also, if you come here in summer time, there is also a swimming pool (not that 25 metre size, but good enough for cooling down - I wouldn't recommend you to jump into the pool during Nov-Jan, you can feel like cold water splashing, unless you love swimming in cool water).

We came down again and there was a tour operator corner sits just next to the reception. The young lady helped us out with the city map, shown us points of travel attraction, how to get there, the famous local food shops, and the trip to get around the city (if you want to stay on budget, hike a local red-taxi from the main street, as if he goes to the same direction as yours, then you will pay only 20 THB or around 40 pence per person). Interestingly, they also offered us a one-day package tour including elephant riding, treking, waterfall, lunch, bamboo rafting and hill-tribe village visit and it costs around 950 THB per person. At first, we were not really sure if the price was expensive or not, then we waited until we came back in that afternoon for booking the tour (we walked in town and checked the price from many places, here is the cheapest one!).

In that evening, we went to the Night Bazaar, it was just about 5 minutes walk, really near. The tips here is bargaining. Also, there are many nice food courts and food stalls hiding behind the main street, so ask those good sellers how to get there. In the morning, the tour guide got the van to pick us up from the guesthouse, there were 10 of us including other guests from other guesthouses. The trip was fun and friendly, I would really recommend you to go.

On our last day, the guesthouse lady helped us get the taxi to the airport (she charged me only 100 THB which is reasonable), offered take away for my friend in affordable price (ham and cheese sandwich 80 THB, as we were in ruch, optional prepare your time and walk to the closest 7-11 convenient store, many cheap and good food there), and also let her daughter to ride to get the bus ticket for my friend to Luang Prabang (normal price is 1,200 THB, we paid around 1,350 THB, considering her daughter went back and forth to the bus terminal to check seat availabity and came back to get the passport, and went back again to get the ticket, I think they deserved to get 150 THB charged).

These people really made me understand why so many foreigners love Chiang Mai. From my different point of view in comparison with my previous trips to Chiang Mai, this experience really made me feel explored and enjoyed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Thaphae Garden Guesthouse and will come back again and again and again! Everything about the place and its people is simply magical. We strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to experience enchanting Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Good value for money. Location is awesome, with in walking distance to the old city and night bazaar. The sunday walking street is very close too. Their tour desk was very helpful and not too pushy with trying to add on a bunch of extra tours that we didn't want to go on. We had a late flight out of Chiang Mai the day we left and they let us leave our bags there all day so we didn't have to carry them around. The hotel was clean, not in as good of repair as it portrays in the advertised pics but that's to be expected! Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple