“Mixed Bag”
Review of The Olde Bell British Pub - CLOSED

The Olde Bell British Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: The Olde Bell is a British/Australian style pub situated in the heart of Chiang Mai's entertainement district. It is a great place to meet local ex-pats and chat at the bar over a pint about Chiang Mai life. The well stocked bar includes draught Guinness and a local microbrewery brown ale as well as Chang and Tiger. There is a pool table and darts board for customers use. The extensive menu is of good quality British and Australian Pub Grub including The Great British Breakfast, Fish 'n Chips, Steak 'n Kidney Pie, Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Parmigiana. A warm welcome awaits you!
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went twice in the last week and enjoyed both the food and the beer. The first night the place was full with people eating, drinking and watching football. Second time I was with a food technologist who cut into his ribeye steak, sniffed it, chewed quickly on a small piece and then refused to eat any more. The beer was good and tasty, the service fine and friendly.

There are newer reviews for The Olde Bell British Pub

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I don't see what all the hype is about this place on the ThaiVisa forums or other places to be honest.

I went there once a couple months ago and man the food was overpriced. If memory serves me correctly I paid over 200 baht for a fish and chips dish. Expecting a large portion or uber high quality, I was sorely disappointed. It was nothing special at all, below average food I would say but at twice the price.

People on ThaiVisa forums make this place out to be something special but to me it was nothing of the sort.

To me the setting was rather dark and dingy but I suppose lots of British people enjoy this sort of thing. I guess if you are from England really miss your country it's a good place to go. But go more than a few times and it would be a better value buying a flight back to your country!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

After a few months of traveling my friend and I were delighted to come across this pub promising a Sunday Roast. We both ordered the roast chicken. When it arrived our initial reaction was that the portions were disappointingly small. However, that proved to be the least of our worries. The food was overcooked and seemed to have been reheated, I would guess, a number of times. We began to eat but when my friend bit into her chicken she discovered that while the inside was white i.e. cooked, it was also frozen! We got the attention of one of the waiting staff and my friend proceeded to explain that her food was warm on the outside but frozen on the inside. The waitress stuck her finger into the chicken and confirmed that it was indeed frozen. My friend requested another dinner to be brought out. A few moments later the waitress returned with the same dinner (the one that she had stuck her own finger into) and placed it once again in front of my friend. We then had to explain that this wasn't acceptable for reasons that we assumed to be obvious. For a finish my friend had to return the 'meal' and went without food. I, on the other hand went on to take some mouthfuls of rubbery chicken and stale yorkshire pudding. Not impressed!

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

So the good...

Great food
Pub is properly decked out with lots of stuff from uk.
Live football on th tv

The bad...
Pub was holding a Thai visa party. So western men with Thai women. I know this happens all over se Asia but it took the atmosphere down a lot. Yes it was upstairs but still...

Would still recommend this place- maybe check if they're holding any parties beforehand!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

In terms of food, this pub has it all. My wife enjoyed the Chicken tikka masala (which just quietly, I scoffed a few delicious mouthfuls) and I had German Sausage platter. Both of which were as good as you would get in their home country. We have both been looking for Roti bread too, and they have it!
Beer on offer could be broader with more British beers but having said that I am sure it's not easy to get a good selection in Thailand. They have Coopers (one of the better major Aussie brewers) which is good to see.
Footy on the TV, wood panel walls (albeit cheesy looking stuff) and a bunch of ex pats and travellers having a drink make for a good atmosphere.
Not what I travelled to Thailand for, but an absolute delight to find.
Recommended.