See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 7, 2011

When my friend and I first arrived she wasn't too impressed by our 6 bed dorm in a bit of a run down condition after our double bedded ensuite room in Bangkok, especially as the first roommate we met was a lizard running across the wall. This is definitely a hostel for serious backpackers, not those who want a bit of luxury. It seemed like a great place for solo travellers in particular as everyone was really friendly and there was always a lot going on.

Be warned - it is a bit far out from the centre of Chiang Mai, about an 80baht tuk tuk ride away - and in a small, quiet residential area, it gets very dark at night so I'd recommend taking a torch if you think you might be walking home alone at night.

Some nice bars in the area and Chiang Mai itself is an incredible place. Will definitely be going back, not sure if I'll stay somewhere closer to the centre next time though.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank -x-buttercup-x-
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We loved spicy thai! We were there a few weeks ago and it was everything we wanted from a hostel. Its a great hostel for meeting people and Noom (the owner) is great at organizing outings for everyone (we went bowling and won a free nights stay!)
We also took a trip to Pai (just north of Chiangmai) and stayed at Spicy Pai - definitely worth doing! Noom organized for us all to stay there and rooms for us when we got back.
Definitely stay at this hostel, you won't be disappointed - you won't want to leave!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I love spicy thai! I was there in August 2011, i was travelling in thailand in a group of 6 we all loved this hostel. Everybody is so welcoming and there is a great family feel at spicythai. There are lots of nights out whereby everybody goes out together and has a great time, regardless of age/nationality etc. The owner Pong is great fun and makes sure everyones included. There is a nice living room with a flatscreen tv and hundreds of dvds, great to chill out in after a night out. It also includes breakfast which is cereal/bananas/toast. There are movie nights, and lots of sweet events, when we were there pong organised a lecture about asian history! I would also say that if you stay here you should most definately book the thai cookery course through the hostel, it was such a great experience, good value for money and hosted by a really lovely guy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Three friends and I arrived in Chiang Mai and hadn't booked a hostel yet, so when someone recommended Spicy Thai, we went there. Not only did they make room for us but when we asked the owner how we could go on a half day tour with elephants that day (we came pretty late in the afternoon), he said most tours were over by then. Instead, he and his wife personally drove us to Tiger Kingdom where we went into the lions' dens and took photos laying on them! We also got to go in with the tiger cubs and take photos there too- it was incredible. Then they drove us to Maesa Elephant Camp, where the owner had arranged for a special private tour after hours. Absolutely amazing. He even got us in to see the baby elephant that was just born and off limits to the public.

Absolutely amazing service. The environment is casual, the owners are super friendly and always quick with ideas for what to do and where to go, and there are activities every night at the hostel- I remember one of my favorites was a talk about the history of Thailand that was a lot more interesting than I thought listening to somebody talk about history for an hour could ever be. They also arranged trips to the night markets and clubs in town.

We asked to stay one more day than originally planned, but there weren't enough beds available for us so instead of kicking us out, they found a spare mattress for one of us. That really attests to the family/friend-style vibe, always willing to accommodate the guests.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sierrap
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed here way back in May 2005, but SpicyThai has left such a lasting impression on me, I felt compelled to write a review on it, since it's still in my Top 5 Hostels Worldwide during all my extensive travels!

SpicyThai is a big old two-storey house with high ceilings and heaps of space - for relaxing, socialising, washing, eating, sleeping, everything! You eat the yummy breakfast at a big wooden table, there are many cushions if you want to chill out and the location is very peaceful/quiet. The staff are extremely kind and patient and will help with your every need/question.

The owner, Pong, is a star! He's perfectly attuned to travellers' needs, is really fun-loving and energetic, and has great pride in his country that he loves to show to foreigners. Pong would run fantastic activities - whether it was an interesting Thai history lesson, a hike up the mountains surrounding Chiang Mai, rafting trips, Thai banquets, etc. Best of all, I was in Thailand during the annual Rocket Festival (don't miss it if you're in Thailand around May!), so Pong accompanied me and two other backpackers to his home province of Isan to attend the festivities...it was superb to have the experience of a local on board!

I'm glad to see that SpicyThai Chiang Mai is still as popular as ever - it truly deserves it! It's a wonderful place to meet other travellers, learn about Thai culture, have fun and/or relax in the atmospheric old mansion, whatever your travelling style. I also wish Pong well in his new venture, SpicyThai in Luang Prabang, Laos...I look forward to staying there in the future!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo