See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I love spicy thai! I was there in August 2011, i was travelling in thailand in a group of 6 we all loved this hostel. Everybody is so welcoming and there is a great family feel at spicythai. There are lots of nights out whereby everybody goes out together and has a great time, regardless of age/nationality etc. The owner Pong is great fun and makes sure everyones included. There is a nice living room with a flatscreen tv and hundreds of dvds, great to chill out in after a night out. It also includes breakfast which is cereal/bananas/toast. There are movie nights, and lots of sweet events, when we were there pong organised a lecture about asian history! I would also say that if you stay here you should most definately book the thai cookery course through the hostel, it was such a great experience, good value for money and hosted by a really lovely guy.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Three friends and I arrived in Chiang Mai and hadn't booked a hostel yet, so when someone recommended Spicy Thai, we went there. Not only did they make room for us but when we asked the owner how we could go on a half day tour with elephants that day (we came pretty late in the afternoon), he said most tours were over by then. Instead, he and his wife personally drove us to Tiger Kingdom where we went into the lions' dens and took photos laying on them! We also got to go in with the tiger cubs and take photos there too- it was incredible. Then they drove us to Maesa Elephant Camp, where the owner had arranged for a special private tour after hours. Absolutely amazing. He even got us in to see the baby elephant that was just born and off limits to the public.

Absolutely amazing service. The environment is casual, the owners are super friendly and always quick with ideas for what to do and where to go, and there are activities every night at the hostel- I remember one of my favorites was a talk about the history of Thailand that was a lot more interesting than I thought listening to somebody talk about history for an hour could ever be. They also arranged trips to the night markets and clubs in town.

We asked to stay one more day than originally planned, but there weren't enough beds available for us so instead of kicking us out, they found a spare mattress for one of us. That really attests to the family/friend-style vibe, always willing to accommodate the guests.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank sierrap
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed here way back in May 2005, but SpicyThai has left such a lasting impression on me, I felt compelled to write a review on it, since it's still in my Top 5 Hostels Worldwide during all my extensive travels!

SpicyThai is a big old two-storey house with high ceilings and heaps of space - for relaxing, socialising, washing, eating, sleeping, everything! You eat the yummy breakfast at a big wooden table, there are many cushions if you want to chill out and the location is very peaceful/quiet. The staff are extremely kind and patient and will help with your every need/question.

The owner, Pong, is a star! He's perfectly attuned to travellers' needs, is really fun-loving and energetic, and has great pride in his country that he loves to show to foreigners. Pong would run fantastic activities - whether it was an interesting Thai history lesson, a hike up the mountains surrounding Chiang Mai, rafting trips, Thai banquets, etc. Best of all, I was in Thailand during the annual Rocket Festival (don't miss it if you're in Thailand around May!), so Pong accompanied me and two other backpackers to his home province of Isan to attend the festivities...it was superb to have the experience of a local on board!

I'm glad to see that SpicyThai Chiang Mai is still as popular as ever - it truly deserves it! It's a wonderful place to meet other travellers, learn about Thai culture, have fun and/or relax in the atmospheric old mansion, whatever your travelling style. I also wish Pong well in his new venture, SpicyThai in Luang Prabang, Laos...I look forward to staying there in the future!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Title says it all, my brother and I had the best hostel experience we have ever had.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank corey_schwartz
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Pong, Spicythai's owner, has this place spot on. The price is totally fair, the dorms and shared shower facilities clean and the free breakfast - cereals, toast and fruit - a nice touch that the hostell doesn't need to include, but does. There's also free access to wifi and internet enabled computers which are also free.

The social area is a great place to hang out in the evening and chat to other travellers whilst you watch one of the hundreds of tv series and films the hostel has on a huge widescreen TV. Pong will also offer you unbiased advice free of any commission-based incentives on various courses and activities available in Chiang Mai, even booking them for you.

Where this hostel really comes into its own, however, is with the almost nightly activities. We were lucky enough to be in Chiang Mai during one of Thailands holiest days of the year - the day Buddha was born, died and reached enlightenment. Noom, also involved in the hostel, took us to a nearby temple, gave us a lesson in Buddhism and involved us in the very interesting service. We expected to be asked for a donation of some sort, but it was all just part o the service. Even when there aren't any big events taking place, the guys running the hostel are always willing to take you out to a local haunt for dinner and beers, helping you order and suggesting something that, in some cases, you wouldn't otherwise try.

Ive been travelling for 6 months through Sri Lanka, India, Thailand and Vietnam and this was one of my hostel highlights. Stay here.

• Stayed: May 2011