See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Spicythai was awesome. We stayed in the 10 bed mixed dorm and had no problems with the rooms, bathrooms, etc. What I loved so much about Spicythai was how helpful they were, and how fun the hostel was! Rather than finding a taxi, they often offered to drive people to places, such as Tiger Kingdom, and the more people, the cheaper it was. They planned events at night (thai boxing, northern thai cusisine for dinner one night, thai bbq buffet followed by a reggae bar for someone's birthday from the hostel). You can book things through them, like treks, as well, and they have a secure baggage storage (that locks and has a camera in the room) where you can keep your bags while out on a trek. And on our last day, when we slept through our alarm and were running a little late for our flight, Pong offered to drive us to the airport because he was able to take a quicker way to the airport while taxis had to take a longer route.

Room Tip: stay here! you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We booked a 4-dorm girls room at this hostel over Songkran. The staff was very responsive and accomodating over the phone, which is nice. It would have been nice to see prices on the website...there are prices for other Spicy Thai locations, but not for Chiang Mai. All dorm beds are 250 baht per person per night here, which was a bit above our budget (we paid 300-400 baht for the entire room for night on previous stops on the trip). Since the 4 of us were in a 4-bed room, we had our own bathroom, which was nice, and there was A/C. Still the price a bit steep compared to prices in the Old City where most people stay and where most of the festivities were, and I wouldn't have wanted to pay that for the regular dorm room. We ended up spending 30 baht to commute to the Old City from this location by Chiang Mai university, each way, every day. Keep that in mind if you're planning to spend a lot of time in Old City.

This location is great if you want to experience the local nightlife...it's walking distance to many local clubs. There are also good local restaurants around - the owners can give you some good tips. However, for a first timer in Chiang Mai, staying in the Old City may be better, especially for Songkran. It's also cheaper there.

Room Tip: private girls dorm, 4 beds + bath
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stay at spicythai while ago but I loved it. I had left my friends in Bangkok and headed off for a solo voyage. The Hostel are able to organise all activities for you and host some of their own. One of the nights we walked up to see the cities lights, another the host took us to a thai dance club called the monkey bar which was lots of fun. We also model some traditional thai costumes for some photogaphs for future activities (i'm not sure if we are still on the walls).

The Hostel is located in a safe and quiet area, you do require a taxi / tuktuk to get to the centre but the hosts are only too happy to organise it for you. I would reconmend that you also go in November/December as there is a latern festival on which present chiang mai in a most romantic light. While in Chiang Mai i would also go for a couple of day hike with a guide in the mountains. My experience of hiking/elephant riding/bamboo rafting/traditional thai cusine was one of my most memorable holidays.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelingypsy_11
Reviewed October 5, 2010

This place is absolutely incredible! For the price you pay and for the location it is so worth it to stay here. I stayed here for 4 nights and the staff was super accommodating. Pong, the owner, was so helpful when it came to booking tours or finding great places to eat. He really loves getting to know his guests. He took me to a Thai BBQ with the rest of the house guests. I felt more at home here than anywhere else I stayed in Thailand. If I came back to Thailand I would definitely go back there. It was the best part of my trip! Definitely a great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Stayed in a dorm room during peak season, had no problems checking in and getting settled in. The hostel offers free self-serve breakfast which includes cereal, toast, and fresh fruit.

The owners are fluent in English and can assist with organizing activities and tours, as well as giving you great local tips. They recommended this great local buffet place where we were the only farangs (foreigners) there. It was a great meal and a truly local experience.

The area where the hostel is located is really nice and quiet, great for when you're tired from a day of checking out wats or coming back from a trek. They have sister hostels in Laos and Vietnam as well.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo