“Studio99 is your Best Choice in Chiang Mai”

Studio 99 Serviced Apartments
Ranked #120 of 822 Specialty Lodging in Chiang Mai
Washington, DC
“Studio99 is your Best Choice in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I found this serviced apartment on the Internet and was immediately impressed by their website. After several emails, which were answered personally and promptly, I decided to book a three-month stay. So I got to know the apartment, the owners, the staff and the area quite well.

Everything, from beginning to end, was handled very efficiently. When I arrived, I was surprised by the size of my unit - it was even larger than I had imagined. Originally I was a bit hesitant because I know their soi (small street) is halfway between two of the busiest roads in Chiang Mai. That makes the location absolutely perfect but I was concerned that it could have been noisy. Not to worry: It was incredibly quiet, day and night. Maybe a few kids’ voices, a few dogs barking. Just normal sounds that wouldn’t bother anyone.

My monthly rate was a terrific deal. For just about $31/night I had an apartment larger and more modern and well-cared for than any others I had seen on the Internet. Of course you can pay less elsewhere, but you’d probably be in an older building with loud motorbikes zooming past your window all night, many mosquitoes, poor water pressure, no kitchen, or you’d be in a location far from the center of the action in this beautiful city.

There are only six units at Studio99: three one-bedrooms and three two-bedrooms. It feels like home, not a hotel. And from my particular unit, number 6, I could see the mountains outside the city and Doi Suthep. What a view!

The owners are a British man, Matt, and his Thai wife, Tack. They were always so nice and so helpful at a moment’s notice. And their office staff and night security guard are superb. All day there is someone in the office and for twelve hours overnight there’s a friendly full-time security guard.

But the best part is how much they seem to care for the guests and do everything they can to take care of your every need, even if something comes up having nothing to do with Studio99. For example, they’ll book tours, give advice, print documents from your memory stick, provide airport transfers, etc. In my case, a situation occurred during my stay in Chiang Mai where I had to go several times to one of the city’s government offices. Because I don’t speak Thai, Matt and Tack both accompanied me to provide any assistance and to translate when necessary. They went way beyond what most apartment or guest house owners would have done. With their help my personal problem was solved quite quickly.

Now to the basics: Cleaned perfectly every day (or whatever schedule you choose); large kitchen so if you prefer to make some food “at home” you can save money or invite friends over for a meal; DVD player in every unit; two balconies (!) to enjoy the sunrises and sunsets from the living room or the bedroom; great water pressure; ever-changing modern artwork in the common stairwell; heavy bedroom curtains to keep out the morning light in case you want to sleep late; modern western-style bathroom; large closets; security camera system; plenty of fresh drinking water; free tea and coffee; etc.

One note: If you’re looking for a lot of amenities such as a fitness room or restaurant or room service, then an apartment is not for you. In my case, I felt it was unnecessary to pay higher rates for my long-term stay just to have those frills.

Location: The apartment was just a five minute walk to the exciting Night Market and about the same distance in the other direction to the Thapae Gate entrance to the old city. So many restaurants and lovely shops are minutes from your door. Everyone I met who was staying elsewhere was envious of my apartment and its wonderful location.

Note: Once-in-a-while I’m a bit suspicious of some users’ opinions on TripAdvisor because it’s possible the hotel or guest house encouraged guests to post something. In my case, no one at Studio99 asked me to write anything. So all the opinions stated above are 100% my own.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Joel1950dc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Aus
Reviewed May 23, 2009

If you are going to Chiang Mai and are staying longer than 1 night, you must stay here. There is nothing better that having some space in your own apartment with a real loungeroom, bedroom and bathroom, instead of living out of your suitcase in a compact hotel room. Huge impeccably clean and serviced apartment with plenty of space in a beautiful quiet location. Only 3 minutes walk to the the old city ( restaurants, markets etc) in one direction and 5 minutes in the other to the night bizarre and Waratot market (DO NOT MISS THIS). Great friendly staff and service.

Why pay for a small hotel box when you could have your own apartment - one or as we took 2 bedrooms. Will not stay anywhere else when we return. SUPERB VALUE FOR MONEY.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Our family stayed at Studio99 in a 2 bedroom unit with lounge and kitchen. This place is bright spacious and modern. The apartment was the perfect set up for our family and our stay in Chiang Mai. Everything is brand new in this place and very clean and modern.

We often end up with adjoining hotel rooms when we our on our family travels but the one apartment setup was a great solution. And the separate lounge with large balcony was a nice addition. I felt it was excellent value for money if you consider the quality of accommodation, facilities and the large amount of space you get for your money.

The apartment had a reasonably sized kitchenette as part of the lounge and was well equipped. There was a stove, kettle and toaster as well as a microwave which was convenient to prepare a simple breakfast for our kids or prepare them a snack if we didn’t want to go out.

The staff were great and were very child friendly. Anyway I could go on but would highly recommend studio99 especially to a family group such as ours.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank supermark31
nottingham
Reviewed March 24, 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Studio 99 for just under a week as we were on a tight scedule and had to see as much of thailand as possible.
Studio 99 was a brilliant place to stay, it had everything we needed, it was safe, it was within 2 minutes walk of a massive night market, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were even able to book flights from chiang mai to ko-samui at the reception.
I would definatly recomend these apartments to friends and family and on my next visit to Chiang Mai I will be bookin into Studio 99

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple