“Great value: clean, comfy and full of charm!”
Review of Ban Kong Rao

Ban Kong Rao
Ranked #255 of 776 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2011

What a place! Wish we could stay longer. The friendly owners and staff really thought of everything: cozy rooms, king size beds, clean, free wifi, free internet pc, nice seating area, you name it.

It is outside the city walls, but in our opinion the perfect way to experience the real Chiang Mai. Nice local places to eat (ask for the pad thai shop in the same street) and good places to have a shake or some fruit.

It is a 30 minute walk to the centre or take a songthaew for a few baht. No problem at all for us. We would surely stay here again if in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jipenjoske
There are newer reviews for Ban Kong Rao

Reviewed January 7, 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at this charming guesthouse - the rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful - they were able to provide us with tips for getting around Chiang Mai cheaply and had lots of advice on places to visit and things to do - they were even able to arrange for a parcel of souvenirs and presents to be mailed back home for us

All in all it was the perfect stay and we will be back as soon as we can

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NarkedDiver
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I'm writing from my room in this little and cosy guest house.
I am very comfortable here. It feels safe. It's great value and even has wifi.
The girls helping around are so charming and lovely that you forget they don't speak a word in English. Its fun trying to make yourself understood. The only missing thing is washing facilities but they are so many places around to do the washing that it doesn't matter. They can even take care of it for you for a bit extra.
Reception lady is the sweetest ever and speak good English.
I will miss it....

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Great little hotel. Nice style, clean and friendly staff. Good location as we had a car but when we went to the night markets taking a taxi was really easy and cheap. So being a little outside of the center is not any real drawback.

We had some laundry done, which was wash/ironed and back in the same day. Cheap also and well done.

The bed was super comfortable also.

I would stay there again the next trip to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I stayed at Ban Kong Rao for over two weeks while attending the ITM massage school. I found Ban Kong Rao on the ITM website and I was thrilled to have discovered such a beautiful and convenient guesthouse. I could go on and on about how nice the hotel looks, but you should just check out their website; the pictures will give you a better sense of how tasteful and stylish the place is. The owners and staff were very friendly and helpful. All in all it was one of the best places I have ever stayed (and that includes places far more expensive) and I will definitely stay there again if I make it back to Chiang Mai. If you are going to Chaing Mai, you should consider staying at Ban Kong Rao; I don't think you will regret the decision.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Ban Kong Rao was a great place tbat became our home for three weeks while we were in Chiang Mai doing a massage course.  It is run by a super nice couple (Al and Jenny) and has one of the best staffs we've come across during our te in Southeast Asia.   These people were all very helpful with plenty of tips on how to get around especially when we first got there.  One of the girls behind the counter (Fay) was particularily good to us and always had time to help.  At one point she arranged for me to have my guitar fixed over the phone becuase I didn't speak Tbai.  Sbe was also able to write down directions in Thai for my tuk tuk driver.  Good thing too.
The rooms were clean and spacious which made for comfy living.  Just as important was the peace and quiet.  The guesthouse is just far enough away from the main street that noise is not a problem.  I can't remeber any construction in the area either which is always good.  Each room came with a little fridge which was perfect for bringing back fruit and drink.  There was a small resturant downstairs which had a great food in a nice outdoor setting.  Jenny happens to be a flourist and has developed the eating area into somewhat of a garden.  There are also neat little fish ponds all around too.
The location was perfect for us and didn't seem too far away from anything.  Tuk tuk drives were always just a short walk away and it was never too expensive to go to the night bazaar or the Thapae Gate.  My favorite was to explore the city was to walk and the old city was just a 10 min walk away.  The area around Ban Kong Rao is perfect for grabbing many treats like Roti or fruit.  Just down from the guesthouse is a main street with plenty of places to eat and a small Tesco to grab odds and ends.
For those wishing to attend the International Thai Massage School this place is perfect.  The school is only 100m away.  Al and Jenny can also make available a room for practicing upon request.  It's a nice bonus!
I really can't say enough about this place but I can assure you that it is very good.  We have used trip advisor throughout our trip and appreciate how it has helped us out so hopefully this will benefit you.

3  Thank Snowtumbler
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Ban Kong Rao for 3 nights in March 2010. The guesthouse itself is very nice, but we didn't like the location at all. It would be great for someone studying at International Training Massage School (literally a 1 minute walk), but not for tourists who want to see the sights in the old city.

The guesthouse is a long walk on a busy road to the old city and the areas with more attractions, restaurants and shopping. Taxis weren't as plentiful as other reviewers have described (at least in our experience), and the tuk-tuks were relatively expensive. There aren't many restaurants near Ban Kong Rao, although there are a lot of options for street food for those who want to eat cheaply.

We also had a problem with the noise from the street. The guesthouse is located on the corner of a road that is not a main artery, but still has a steady flow of traffic (often loud motorbikes and trucks.) Despite the very comfortable room, we didn't sleep well (and I even slept with earplugs.)

On the plus side, the staff is very friendly and the rates are very reasonable. Our rate didn’t include breakfast, but the guesthouse offers a good and cheap breakfast menu. Our room was clean, spacious and well-decorated with a great bathroom. The staff answered all of our questions, arranged for a Thai massage within the hotel and helped us book a cooking class. Note: staff is happy to help guests book tours (without pressuring you into anything), but you can book most of the tours more cheaply using outside travel agencies.

I wish I could give Ban Kong Rao a better review, but the truth is that I would have preferred to stay somewhere closer to Chiang Mai's old city.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple