Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
$20
Free cancellation until 09/25/21
$18
Free cancellation until 09/24/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
$14
Free cancellation until 09/24/21
Trip.com$16
Orbitz.com
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days over new year. It's like a boutique hotel unlike anything I have stayed in before, where the owners really do try and make you feel like they are welcoming you into their home.
Beautifully designed with a great balance between modern and traditional Thai this is a real gem in the bustling suburbs of Chiangmai but close enough to the centre to enable you to access the sites and attractions of this historic city.
The top floor of the building was a great place to sit and watch the world go by, sunbathe or sit in comfort in the shade. We watched thousands of lanterns taking off over the city for New Year whilst drinking a few celebratory cocktails with the owners, staff and guests. Definately the highlight of our stay.
Rooms are all individually designed with very effective air conditioning, fridges, bathrooms, comfortable beds and big tv's. Our room had 2 balconies which made observing the teeming hubbub of activity outside even easier.
The ground floor entrance, courtyard and reception were an oasis of calm with the sounds of water and shaded by trees. Internet access was easy and reliable and the staff friendly and knowledgeable.
The local area had a wide array of eateries if you didn't want the staff to rustle you something up for breakfast but for more western palates there was a good veggie cafe directly opposite.
I would thoroughly recommend Ban Kong Rau.

Date of stay: December 2012
3  Thank Jimjamrunner
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It's been a long time since I returned from my 7-day stay in Chiang Mai, can still remember the days when I left the hotel in a scooter and returned with a scooter...anyway, love Chiang Mai very much and Ban Kong Rao certainly adds points to the whole stay.

It's located outside of the old city center and is about 10 mins walk, the room is basic but clean and cozy. There is a small balcony so I can hang my hand-washed underwear under the sun. There is only one staff, should be the boss, so the service is a bit slow. He also cooks and the food is surprisingly delicious.

The surrounding area is full of street food options and the price is just sooooo low and you can never have enough.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank KuixingLu
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a nice mid-range hotel with comfortable beds/linens and good design. The bathroom was great with a shower separate from the rest of the bathroom (sometimes a nice change when traveling through Asia). There is a great little sitting area on the roof top with nice views of the mountains (Doi Supthet) where we enjoyed beers in the afternoon. Our favorite part of the hotel, however, was it's location. Having lived in Chiang Mai for 4 months a few years ago, we are familiar with the city and knew we wanted to stay outside the old city.

This place was perfect. It's near the NE corner of the old city in a mostly residential/local business area. There's plenty of local, cheap Thai restaurants nearby with very extensive street food options. Every night there were about 20 street food stalls set up on a nearby road until about 2 AM.

It is very easy and cheap to get around Chiang Mai so visiting things like Gat Luang (a large market on the E side of town) or going out at night was no problem for us. However, if you are uncomfortable getting around by rot daeng (the local red truck taxis), this location may pose some problems since there is not much sightseeing within walking distance. If, however, you enjoy staying away from the main tourist guesthouses and enjoy taking in daily life for Thai people, then this place is great.

Date of stay: November 2012
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank alicewinter
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

It is 800 baht a night here which is very pricey in this area. I had been staying at an apartment for 490 in the same area for the same room specifics (sunshine house). However it was fully booked on the 1st sept. I booked a room online at a very nice guesthouse (seven senses) 800 baht with full breakfast (I had it) and good family run service. Unfortunately, they had overbooked the my room. They brought me here.

I can't fault the room, it was well designed and roomy with a view. Comfy bed and some good tv channels.

The only fact is value for money - you can get a place in the centre of town with breakfast at this price. (eg imm hotel)

I say include a tasty breakfast or lower the price.

Date of stay: August 2012
3  Thank Alex G
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Ban Kong Rao which means something like 'our home' in Thai really did feel like home from the very first moment and to the last and I'm writing this review because I so miss to come back but haven't been a long time : ). The lady who owns and runs the place is beautiful in more than one way, she is the perfect hostess and speaks phenomenal english : ) Everything is very elegant and simple, a bit raw style, which is an absolute positive statement, I like it that way! The neighborhood is lovely with lots of little cafe's, yoga places and the ITM massage school nearby. Very easy access to the old city as well. Enjoy!!

Room tip: top floor has the best views and easiest access to roof terrace ask for a room with a view
Date of stay: March 2012