“Great, clean small hotel.”
Review of The Castle

The Castle
Ranked #65 of 757 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Gulfport, Florida, United States
“Great, clean small hotel.”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a lovely week's stay at The Castle. It is a small hotel, older but very clean and comfortable. The manager, Pearl, is literally a gem as she answers emails quickly and helps with all arrangements. Once on site she helped set up tours, find restaurants, order taxis and guided on laundry etc. We really appreciated her help. The pool is small but fine for a couple of kids or adults, an honor drink's bar is nice, and the breakfast was much nicer than the 5star we stayed at in Bangkok en route. The hotel is located on a quiet street about 5 minute walk to the main road. This is a positive in some ways but also note there are limited restaurants or shops in the immediate location. Not too much a problem as taxis are cheap and readily available though. My children (4 ranging from 23 to 7) all enjoyed this place too.

Room Tip: If you want quiet then get the higher up rooms away from pool
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kate G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I planned to stay 4 nights at The Castle, but ended staying a week due to its great location and friendliness of staff. Pearl, the owner, was very welcoming and booked everything from taxis to tours and cookery classes. She was very honest when helping me to decide on which tour company to go with, for example the low budget good ones etc. She recommended Asia Scenic cookery school and it was fantastic.

My room was in good condition and cleaned daily. When I arrived they upgraded me to a bigger room, I did not complain. The breakfast was delicious and included in the price. You chose your breakfast the day before and there would be a few options, for example, American style breakfast, omelet etc. This always included tea, fruit juice and mango or passion fruit.

The location was good. 10 minute walk from the Saturday market and 15-20 minute walk from the night bazaar area. There were no noise disturbances as it was located in a very quiet area away from the main road that surrounds the old city. I used the pool a few times just to cool off in the evenings.

If you are looking to meet people I would not recommend this place. Ideally it is for couples, families or like myself solo travellers looking for a quiet place to stay. It was very quiet when I stayed, however this did not bother me as I met people on tours etc.

Overall, I very much enjoyed my stay at The Castle and will definitely stay again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Emily M
Warnbro, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Our family stayed here in April 2013. This is a great small Hotel, just out side of the south east corner of the old city. We had the family room and a double room. Pearl and her staff are great and very helpful. The pool may not be large, but I never heard my kids complain until I asked them to get out. I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zsunami
Phuket
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I always stay at The Castle when I travel to Chiangmai.

The hotel is located on a quite street not far from the airport with walking distance to weekend walking street market.

The room is simply nice at valuable price.

The staff is helpful and attentive with kind hospitality.

There is a small pool inside the hotel ground next to the lobby for you if you like.
Breakfast is not served buffet style but the it will cooked for you a la minute. You can choose
ABF set or one plate dishes i.e., fried-rice with omelet etc. Its portion is quite big to make sure
you are filled and its food quality & taste is very good. I stayed here 5 times already and found that service has not been dropped in all aspects.

I simply recommend you to stay here and you will see why it is always my choice to stay in Chiangmai.

Room Tip: Up stair rooms are better and more quite
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pom S
Fuengirola, Spain
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this nice cosy hotel at the end or April and we thought it was an excellent place for a few days in Chiang Mai. Just less than 10 minutes walk to the centre, which we thought was very convenient as we wanted to stay in a quite place. Pearl, the manager, was a great host during our stay. She was very quick in replying our mails when arranging the bookings before we got there. She even upgraded us to a bigger room. I think all rooms have safe and of cours tv, aircon and en suite bathroom. Breakfast was great. No buffe but you can choose options a la carte. We want to thank Pearl for her constant smile and great hospitality.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms provide a better few to the city.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiguelVillarias
geelong
Reviewed May 5, 2013

its a small little hotel but comfortable rooms are not big but had a nice vibe to hotel small pool , staff are great friendly and make you feel at home , every morning they cook your breakfast fresh not sitting baymarrie and about 10 to 15 walk to night market i had scooter so easy to get around chiang mai

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rick210372
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The selling point for this hotel is the location. Just off the moat outside the old town. The rooms are quite small and the pool is more like a plunge pool than anything else but good to stick your feet in after a long hot day. There is a fridge where you help yourself to beer or soft drinks and make a note of what you had on the pad so they can charge you which is a nice touch.

The night porter was a bit miserable if disturbed from his film!

The breakfast was very tastey, lots of variety, there was a morning we were getting collected at 7 and they made us a sandwich each to take with us which was very sweet of them. Would definitely recommend. One thing to note however is that there is no lift. we were on the 1st floor so if you have issues with stairs request a downstairs room.

Room Tip: no lift so make sure you choose a lower floor room should you have issues with stairs.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple