“Excellent Hotel & Location in Chiang Mai”

Le Meridien Chiang Mai
Ranked #19 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed three nights here, over New Year's Eve, and thoroughly enjoyed this lovely hotel. The location in in the middle of Chiang Mai, and perfect for the night market, and close to everything. The room was on the small side, but very comfortable, well designed and decorated, and even had a closet room with safe, shelving, and iron/ironing board. The pool deck is gorgeous and you can swim while looking west toward Chiang Mai. Breakfast buffet was excellent, with good western and eastern options - be warned: go early, as the tour groups swarm in there and it gets a bit too crazy. Laundry Note: we had our laundry done at a small shop outside the hotel - step outside the hotel, turn right, and see the Internet/Laundry sign. The woman running it actually saw us with bags, pointed up at the laundry sign and smiled. Laundry was 20 Baht/kilo...what deal.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
TinoLindner, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Dear Blondesteven,

Thank you for your kind comments and for taking the time to post this review. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the room facilities, pool and location. The view from the pool is indeed spectacular featuring Doi Suthep mountain; the sunsets at the Pool can be a great experience. Thank you for your comment regarding the breakfast arrangement and I will discuss with our Food & Beverage team.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback, which is always valued and appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back to Le Meridien Chiang Mai in the future.

With kind regards

Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights in late November. The rooms were excellent. The bed was comfy & bathroom was fantastic. We could watch TV from the bath as there was a speaker for the TV in the bathroom. The view over the mountains was excellent. Breakfast had a lot of variety & was always busy. The free wi-fi was very handy as well as the business centre, although the computers were quite slow. The location was fantastic, as others have said before. There a great food court in the Kalare night market. We also ate a good meal ata near-by restaurant called Ping Ping.
The only disappointment was the temperature of the pool was too cold for my liking. I am not keen on swimming in pools that have no heat. It was great to relax poolside, however both me & my husband didn't swim due to the temperature.
I would stay at the Le Meridien again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Ozzaboz,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the location, view, bed, bathroom and breakfast.

Thank you for your remarks regarding the pool temperature. We are currently in the winter season and the pool temperature is between 22 C – 24 C during the day. General guidelines suggest a pool temperature between 24 C – 26 to be comfortable, so it is indeed a refreshing experience at the moment. Most times of the year our pool reaches the suggested temperature levels since the air temperature is usually higher, however I’ll discuss with our Chief Engineer in our next product development meeting.

I’m glad to hear that your travel schedule might bring you back to Chiang Mai again. My team, and I, would be delighted to welcome you back to Le Meridien.

Warm regards

Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed here for New Years Eve and into January in a suite on club floor.
The hotel looks and feels refurbished. Arrangements through Starwoods were smooth as usual , concierge contacted us before hand to arrange transfers /New Year Eve dinner. Suite was excellent , only minor point - to close blinds next to the very large bath you have to climb across the bath itself - not easy when getting older! Bed was superb. Club lounge good .
New Year Eve meal was o.k. . buffet in the Italian restaurant, but it was compulsory as with most hotels at that time of year .
We ate at the Italian restaurant on another occasion and the food was good but not spectacular.
Spa - very professional , used it twice , some treatments seem reasonable for hotel prices, some very expensive , but the experience was good and nice treatment rooms.
Concierge arranged golf trips ,including transport , with reductions at one of the courses very efficient.
Breakfast in club lounge is very limited, downstairs in main restaurant it is extensive but can be busy if you hit it at same time as a tour group ..
The hotel is ideal for the market and walking around the town .

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
TinoLindner, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2011

Dear BellaMBJ

Thank you for your time in posting your review about Le Meridien Chiang Mai on Trip Advisor.

I’m delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay and were pleased with the Suite and facilities. Thank you for your suggestions regarding the blinds, breakfast selection at Club Lounge and food at Favola Restaurant.

It’s been a pleasure having you as our guest and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 5, 2011

The hotel is located right next to the night bazaar with many shops and bars in close proximity. It seems relatively new and all areas were clean and well kept.

Most staff were pleasant and helpful, the only exception being the concierge. We asked for help with arranging a driver for a day to take us sightseeing but the concierge merely dialled the number and handed us the handset - not what we expected.

Breakfast was a haphazard affair with huge crowds seeming to arrive at once. Although there was a good selection, a lot of the food that should have been hot was cold or lukewarm.

As mentioned by a previous reviewer, the hotel is popular with large tour groups and public areas can feel crowded and noisy.

The best feature of this hotel is most definitely its location.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
TinoLindner, Hotal Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2011

Dear Soho77,

Thank you for posting your review about Le Meridien Chiang Mai on Tripadvisor.
Your comments regarding the breakfast are well noted and have already been passed on to our culinary team. I have also discussed your comments with our Concierge team for improvement and may I offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you had enjoyed the rest of your stay with us and were pleased with the service of our associates.

Once again my sincere apologies and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at our property. My team would very much like the opportunity to restore your faith in our services.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

great position, fantastic breakfasts, just as one would expect of a 5 star hotel.
remember the price quoted doesnt include taxes but u get used to that.
Would stay there again for sure

Dear sydneydavid56,

It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and services during your stay. It’s great that you would like to return and to give us the opportunity to look after you again. Please do not hesitate to contact us for your future booking.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

I chose to stay at Le Meridien in Chiang Mai for four nights in December 2010 because I was able to redeem Starwood points that covered the full cost of my stay. The hotel turned out to be a good choice. Although it is located outside of the old town (as MANY hotels in the area are), it was very conveniently located - directly next to the Night Market which is a major attraction, about 10 minutes walking from the old town and two minutes from Tai Pae Road which is a great shopping street where you'll also find trek operators.

Once you step inside Le Meridien, you'll feel right at home with Starwood - the decor is pretty much the same as all other Le Meridien properties I've stayed at. It is clean, modern and nicely decorated. The concierge is extremely helpful in booking activities around the area. The pool is a great retreat, with comfy lounge chairs and a great view... I almost missed taking a few hours at the pool and was so happy when I decided to check it out! I only ate breakfast at the hotel, and the buffet was very nice.

The only drawback I can think of at this property is that they book large tour groups (50+ people) so there were mornings I came down to the lobby and it was literally a zoo of people; on one occasion, they did not have enough room in the restaurant for me to eat breakfast so I had to sit at the bar at the Italian fine dining restaurant which was a little weird.

But overall, it's a great value option in Chiang Mai - you'll be comfortable and well taken care of!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank YellowRoadWanderer
TinoLindner, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2011

Dear YellowRoadWanderer,

Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. I’m delighted to hear that your stay at Le Meridien Chiang Mai was comfortable. It’s great to read that you enjoyed the décor, location, views and Pool. Special thanks about your comment regarding the Concierge which I have certainly passed on.

Our guest mix is indeed very diverse, from holiday travelers to business travelers, Conference- and leisure group guests. Even our hotel has 384 Rooms and Suites but the architects kept the lobby a little smaller to give guests the feeling of intimacy and allow our guests to mingle and meet. Hence it fills quickly even when a small group is waiting for departure.

My apologies for not having provided a convenient seat for your breakfast on that occasion and I will discuss with our Food and Beverage team about alternative arrangements.

We hope to see you soon again at Le Meridien Chiang Mai and wish you a Happy New Year.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Good view - we got a connecting room with mountain view

value for money - definite 5* that comes with an hour of free wi-fi for stay in guest

Accomodate into fine details with very comfortable/clean bed, slippers, shampoo/bath soap etc/etc....

Location - superb, just stone throw away from night market with plenty of fast food, restaurrant nearby

Except MINUS point for noisy air-conditioner...

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Dear SGX,

Thanks you for choosing to stay with us recently and I do appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other reviewers on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the room, location and value for money.

The entire team at Le Meridien Chiang Mai looks forward to welcoming you for another stay.

Happy New Year