“Good clean and equip and helpful staff”

Ranked #19 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Good location for night market and morning market too. Staff are helpful especially the concierge. We loved the spring roll in the high tea set and the a-la-cart breakfast at Latest Recipe and also the friendly Chef Rishi. Only disappointment is the massage, the staff is not well train enough, we can get better service and price else where.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank KarenCWK
SutreeyaA, Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear KarenCWK

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay with us. We are delighted you were comfortable in our care and could take advantage of our facilities.

Please accept our apology for the spa being less than expected.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We stayed for a couple nights on our last trip to Thailand and were not disappointed. The rooms were nice and clean with great views. Most of the staff were great. We found the concierge pretty useless but that is the only negative. The restaurants were all delicious (try the italian!). The hotel is walking distance to a huge market and many massage shops. Lots of bars and restaurants everywhere! We loved it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear LouisEmerich

Thank you for sharing your experience and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and to know your perspective re Concierge knowledge and services.

Please come back soon to beautiful Chiang Mai.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Pros-
Outstanding service
Very comfortable bed
Wifi in room worked well
Excellent location

Cons-
No room difference to the Four Points Sheraton, Bangkok
Restaurant food too expensive- breakfast- over US $20 pp, small cup of ice cream at pool- US $7

Tips:
Laundry- we took our laundry to KPD Travel just outside main lobby doors to the right. The charge 40 baht per kilo. We also rented a scooter from them with no problems.

Breakfast- If you want an American breakfast of blueberry pancakes, eggs, bagel and cream cheese, oatmeal, etc then take a 10 min walk to Butter Is Better. We went back 3 times for their wonderful breakfast. If you make a right on the main road and thru the first traffic light, its 100 meters on the left side of the road.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drubano

Dear drubano

It is our pleasure to have accommodated you and thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are glad to know that your stay and exploration of the city was enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Gregory Anderson – General Manager

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great pool...great service...good room...excellent value for money...great service everywhere around the hotel .......close to the walled city area...right by the night bazaar....all in all if you want a nice relaxing staying in the heat of April in a very busy city....le meridian is the place

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarrakechGypsies
SutreeyaA, Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear MarrakechGypsies

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review! We are glad to hear that you were comfortable in our care and enjoyed your recent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you soon to explore more of Chiang Mai.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Let me start by saying I do not have a new favourite hotel, but unquestionably this hotel comes as close as I can recall to supplanting my all-time favourite (not surprisingly, also in Thailand). This is the second time I've stayed there, and if anything this time was better than the last (two years ago).

Certainly, Le Meridien Chiang Mai must be the very best hotel in Chiang Mai. While I have only been a "visitor" in the other top hotels in that city, none of them strike me as able to beat this hotel.

We were there on Songkran weekend, always the busiest time of the year in Thailand, and particularly in Chiang Mai where the celebrations are quite intense. Despite that, from the very moment I walked in the front door and entered the very spacious lobby, the service was exactly on point, but with that Thai level of friendliness that seems not to exist anywhere else in the world. Checkin was fast, personal, and made me feel like they had just been waiting for me to make their day worthwhile.

The room, with the platinum upgrade, was a suite on a high floor, with a stunning view overlooking the city, the mountain in the distance. The architecture of this hotel is very modern, and a lot of thought has gone into making the rooms comfortable but also memorable. The suite I was given had more windows than almost any hotel I can remember, including a wonderful two-seater bathtub in a corner surrounded by floor to ceiling windows. You have to see it to really get how great it is.

As is always the case at Starwood hotels, they understand that the bed is the most important thing for a traveler. This Le Meridien offers a king bed that is as good as the best you find at
Westin hotels. The bathroom includes, in addition to the corner tub, a large walkin shower, double sinks, a walkin closet, and a separate room with toilet and another washbasin. The sitting room is large, with a 48 inch flat screen TV (one in the bedroom as well) and a quite servicable work area.

But as good as the upgraded room was, it was outside the room that the hotel really shone. The club lounge on the 21st floor, although smallish, is beautifully furnished and served excellent cockail hour stuff. Breakfast was also quite good (although I was surprised with the very small portions provided; don't go there for a hearty breakfast). Service: wonderful.

We also ate in both the main restaurants. The main floor restaurant, called Latest Recipe, has both a la carte and buffet offerings. The buffet was excellent, including in particular a Massaman Chicken Curry that my daughter (who loves Massaman style, but is fussy about its quality) raved about. The second floor Italian restaurant, Favola, serves white table cloth style meals that are exceptionally good. My two adult kids, who spent a few weeks last summer in Italy, commented with surprise that you shouldn't have to travel to Thailand to get the best Italian food. Not only that, but I casually mentioned on checkin that it was my daughter's birthday. Somehow that got down to the staff at Favola, who prepared a lovely cake and brought it to her without warning (or cost) at the end of dinner.

I did not use the pool, but I did take a look. It seemed a bit small to me, and overly busy, but it may just have been that, on the Songkran weekend, they have what amounts to a pool party every afternoon. (Next time I go, I'll try to use it as a pool, and see how that works out.)

All of this is very nice, but what stands out is the service. Here's an example to show what I mean. I was checking out, and probably not in a good mood (due to some business things on my mind). I was also downstairs at the main lobby, not in the club lounge, so it was very busy. Nonetheless, the person behind the counter was unfailingly happy and friendly, even when I a) made a mistake that required that she do it over, and b) failed to provide even the slightest smile given my mood. Despite my curt demeanour, and the extra work, she remained friendly and happy, to the point where, at the very end of the process, I had to smile and apologize. Then I walked out the front door, no longer in a bad mood. How good is that, when in the midst of a busy time they can take you from unhappy to happy?

Wonderful hotel. I will be back. In fact, it was good enough that when I'm in Thailand again later this year, I may make a special trip.

Room Tip: This is one of those hotels where the investment in a club room, or elite membership in SPG, is well...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jshepherd
SutreeyaA, Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear jshepherd

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review! We are thrilled to hear that you and your family were comfortable in our care.

Please do let us know if we can be of any assistance with your next booking. We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for a week, and as a consequence was given a deal that included massage for each guest every day!

The location is next to the night market and can get busy and crowded. There are plenty of great places to eat within easy walking distance.

The rooms were refurbished and modern. Staff members were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was an excellent selection of international and asian food.

Decent gym and outdoor pool with a view. I would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: If possible, try to negotiate a deal which includes massage / spa treatment.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank traveltim
SutreeyaA, Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear traveltim

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and breakfast in particular. Thank you for taking your time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Chiangmai is a wonderful town and the Le Meridien is at the heart of it. The rooms are modern, clean, but a bit small. The breakfast was delicious and the staff was really helpful. Overall, the Le Meridien, was a great hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear yasi47816

We appreciate your time to share your experiences and glad that you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you and we hope to welcome you again.

Warm regards,