“Great Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Out of the three hotels I stayed in in Thailand, Le Meridien was the best. I booked the Club Lounge, which was probably the best thing I could have done because breakfast, afternoon tea, evening cocktails and snacks, and internet was included. I didn't have anything to worry about. The things I could complain about are pretty minor, and therefore not even really worth wasting time typing. Overall, the hotel was clean, the staff was attentive, and the location was perfect.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Like all of the other reviews, I would agree that this is a hip Chiang Mai hotel. Very modern and sleek, while somehow maintaining a Thai feel to it. The service was fantastic. The location was very good, because of its proximity to the night market--which is the prime night time activity in Chiang Mai. A note to the management: Thanks so much for helping us to get into our room early on the day of our arrival! It really made the difference to our first day in Chiang Mai. For you readers, we had arrived on the overnight train from Bangkok at 9 am. Although we had a berth, we were feeling a bit grubby and needed a shower. At first we thought we would just leave our bags with the front door staff, but we were surprised to know that we could check in that morning!

Room Tip: Get a room facing Doi Inathon (mountains) for a better view of the city.
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Been in Chiang Mai before but different hotel out side of town, this was excellent choice. Right middle of everything, night bazar and restaurants bars shopping etc. Hotel have nice lobby and bar area, small pool and good gym with best staff.
We had standard room and it was clean and nice. Beautiful view over looking mountain and town.

Room Tip: Try to get mountain view.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The location of the hotel was good, right in the middle of a busy market and a close walk to the bar scene. However the service was terrible for a 5 star hotel. Even though it was confirmed we had a non smoking room in our original booking, upon arrival this was not the case. As a result we had to change rooms three times. We had also arranged for a pick up at the hotel to a local cooking class, we were put into the bus for the cooking class, only to realise that the bus was for different cooking class. When we asked for a cab to be arranged for our drop off at the airport, the cab had not been arranged as they had simply 'forgotten'. This would usually be ok, if they had a running cab service. However, cabs stop running past 5pm and you'll most likely have to take a tuktuk. There was a lack in organisation and care for the customer. I would not recommend staying here if you had a choice of another hotel.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank YewZe83
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2013

You can always count on Le Meridien to be a solid choice, and the Chiang Mai location is no different. Located by the Night Market you can shop, shop, shop all you can handle, mere steps from the hotel. If shopping isn't your thing, there are lots of tours available from the concierge and always taxis running by the hotel.

Value-wise, there are cheaper places to stay in Chiang Mai, but this hotel gives great value. Spotlessly clean, courteous and friendly service and the breakfast is very good with lots of variety.

Just be warned that the pool is like ice water. I've swam in glacial lakes that were warmer.

This is now my go-to hotel in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GregoryRAnderson, General Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your fabulous feedback. We aplogise for the pool water being chilly and we’re delighted that your overall experience was a great one.
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed January 2, 2013

During my stay at Le meridien, the front staffs was very helpfull.
I did enjoy the room service menu which I did find excellent for Thai snacks.
I did not use breakfast buffet or other hotels facilities as it is so interesting to eat in Thailand streets or stand alone restaurant.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Olivier C
Thank you for sharing your experiences. We are delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay.
Gregory Anderson, General Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is my very first time writing a review in tripadvisor. I have been to some really nice hotels like Fusion Maia, Siripanna, Hilton, Renaissance, Atlantis, etc...but this hotel deserves my first review because I don't want this bad experience to be passed on to others.

Originally, we chose this hotel over Dusit D2 because we thought Le Meridien belongs to a branded chain-organization, but we made the wrong decision.

We stayed for four nights in this hotel for our honeymoon. We mentioned at the concierge that this trip was our honeymoon and the lady upgraded us to preferred floor.

On our first night, the drain in the shower was very slow and made the entire bathroom flooded with water. When I stepped out of the shower, i nearly fell down because of the water. I called the operator to fix this problem and wanted to request a room change but the manager said that the hotel was fully booked. She sent two engineers to fix our toilet in the middle of the night. We complained to the manager and she said 'So,what do you want??'. I really can't accept the disgusted attitude because it made us feel being picky for requesting a proper shower. We weren't really asking for compensation but honestly, she should be thinking ahead of us about what she can do to make us feel better. The next day she sent a fruit platter with 4 fruits (a dragon fruit, an apple, a strawberry and an apple-like pear) with a note to apologize for this incident???????

On the other night, I requested a fork and a knife over the phone to eat a mango before I sleep. I waited for 10 minutes and then I called again...then I waited for another 10 minutes and then I called again. Finally my fork and knife arrived 30 minutes after my FIRST phone call. I asked the person who delivered the fork and knife to me what took them so long and he said he was busy........................

The bell boys were really lazy - they don't like opening the doors for you, In my memory, the doors were never opened for me. I saw a bell boy using his phone in the corner, and 2 bell boys talking to each other as I opened the door by myself.

The room make up service was terrible. I left my clothes on my bed after changing and when I came back to the room, my clothes were not laid on the bed or folded but it was thrown to the sofa. Normally at other hotels, they would lay it on the bed tidily but not just moving it to another place like they were in the way for them making up the room. The shower gel and shampoo were not refilled - I had to go to the bath tub in the middle of the shower to get the new shower gel and shampoo from the bath tub.

On the good side, the location was good and unbeatable. Breakfast was good for the first time, but the food remained pretty much the same every morning.

All in all, it really spoiled our mood for our honeymoon. We definitely not pleased with this hotel and would not return to this hotel.

4 Thank Simon L