“Beautiful hotel, excellent location”

Le Meridien Chiang Mai
Ranked #22 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 16, 2011

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed staying at the Le Meridien, and visiting Chiang Mai. So happy we came here as a part of our Thailand vacation. I wasn't crazy about Bangkok, our first stop in Thailand, so I was feeling a little down and regretting going to Thailand for a long holiday. However, once we got to Chiang Mai, everything changed. It was relaxing here, beautiful, much more relaxed, and the people were especially friendly. The Le Meridien was beautiful. We were upgraded to a fabulous suite that is much larger than our NYC apartment... so that was a real treat. We had a bath tub with an amazing view of the night market. It was so great to relax in there after a long day of sightseeing. The location of this hotel is perfect. Right near the night market and a lot of really good restaurants. The pool was beautiful with a wonderful view of the mountain. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel if you are going to be in the area.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cap31
TinoLindner, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2011

Dear cap31,

Thank you for your stay at Le Meridien Chiang Mai as part of your Thailand trip and your kind and generous remarks.

It was a great pleasure to welcome you to Le Meridien Chiang Mai. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and especially the bathtub with the great views to the mountain. It’s kind of you to mention the different atmosphere here in Chiang Mai compare to Bangkok.

Thank you for recommending our hotel and I do hope I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Meridien Chiang Mai again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Chiang Mai

Reviewed April 15, 2011

This is my second visit to the hotel and I will be back again next year. My friend and I stayed in a deluxe room it was always immacuately cleaned. All the staff here from reception to the room cleaners, security, conciege are most helpful and friendly they cannot do enough to help you. Breakfast is wonderful we were here for a week and they always had different dishes to choose from. Reception is quick and staff there are friendly and cannot do enough for you. Tino the Manager is very highly regarded by his staff and I can see why, when they had a staff shortage at breakfast and the staff told us that they were 75% full in the hotel here he was helping clear the tables you do not see that in many 5 star hotels that is team work Tino. The gym is very well mantained. Great swimming pool. The sunday buffet lunch is to die for, the location of this hotel is right outside the night markets and a short walk to the sunday night market. We were given Club Lounge Benefits which was fantastic thankyou Tino. The girls that worked here always remembered your name and what you liked to drink they were very professional in there approach and delivered first class service as well as making you feel so welcombed I cannot wait to return, I have stayed at other 5 star hotels but the Le Mereidien stands out as one of the best due to the Manager Tino and his fantastic staff

Room Tip: stay when the sunday ngt mkt is on its the best
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
TinoLindner, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2011

Dear rhonda21australia,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review and for your very kind comments. It was our great pleasure to take care of you, and I am delighted that our team took good care of you.

Thank you for highlighting the helpfulness of our team, the Sunday Brunch, swimming pool and gym, which is truly encouraging. I have shared your comments with our team this morning and you made their day!....and mine too .

I am delighted to hear that my team and I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Le Meridien Chiang Mai.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

The hotel was very comfortable and the service was great. They booked a cooking class for us and a tour. Both were wonderful and they called when they were late picking us up. They were very on top of everything. Wonderful location right next to the night market. Overall a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

Dear kralphie711,

Sunny Greetings from Chiang Mai!

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful review regarding your recent visit.
I’m glad to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the team took great care of you. Your compliments on our concierge and the location are very inspiring and much appreciated.

The team at Le Meridien Chiang Mai is looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights. The hotel was excellent.The service was wonderful and the staff were all so friendly.The reception staff were very helpful and courteous. It was beautiful inside and out and the location is literally right next to the night markets.I would highly recommnd this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Tom5119,

Thank you so much! We read out your review at our team meeting this morning, and everyone beamed when they heard your feedback. Thank you for the opportunity to energise everyone with your remarks.

I am delighted to know that the team took care of you and it’s kind of you to highlight our associates at the reception and the location next to the Night Bazaar. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends.

I do hope that you will visit Le Meridien Chiang Mai again in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2011

Everything was top notch.

Staff friendly and helpful.

Buffet breakfast first class.

Room very modern and tastfully decked out with views over Suthep.

Apart from poor water pressure in the bath, everything was good.

Putting $1 US on the bill for charity - whilst I was happy to donate (one dollar is nothing obviously) it was a bit presumptious to put it in the bill!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo

Dear booyeahSydney,

Many thanks for choosing Le Meridien Chiang Mai as your hotel during your trip and for taking time to share your remarkable experience. Our team is very pleased to learn that your stay was a pleasant one and that you particularly enjoyed the service of our associates, the breakfast buffet and room décor.

Your review is truly encouraging and supports our aim to deliver exceptional service and create lasting and treasured memories for all guests.

My apologies if our associates did not explain upon departure the Unicef “Check out for Children” program, which is a program in all Starwood Hotels worldwide to support child immunization.

We do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back again soon. Thank you again for your inspiring feedback and best wishes from all of us here in Chiang Mai.

Reviewed March 18, 2011

My Partner and I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel twice in the last two weeks during our Thailand holiday. While the location is excellent, and the hotel nearly brand new, for Le Meridien (and indeed for a 4-5 star hotel) it just doesnt meet the grade. A real dissapointment given we often stay at Le Meridien and love the brand.

On both occassions when we arrived, we needed help with our luggage and none was forthcoming despite a number of employees standing around seemingly doing nothing. At reception we were met with passive staff who chatted among themselves while we stood there waiting.

The rooms are clean but, on the first visit, our sink was blocked and while phoning for help none arrived. On the second occassion there was a third bed in the room (making a small room feel even smaller) and this wasnt removed for 2 hours. We were given rooms with views over a neighbouring hotel's roof (rather than over the mountains as expected as Gold SPG members), and smoking rooms despite being explicit in asking for non-smoking. No fresh milk for tea/coffee (and indeed being told we'd have to pay for it!), room menu's dirty and sticky, and clunky air conditioning.

All in all, a hotel that doesnt live up to the Le Meridien brand (particularly when the Chiang Rai and Bangkok hotels are so good)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dalyncarter

Dear dalyncarter,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on our property. I am never pleased to hear that a guest is dissatisfied about their experience at our hotel, and I do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback so that we can look into improving these areas for the future.

I acknowledge your feedback regarding the arrival experience, room allocation and the clunky air conditioning and would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please note that I have already shared your comments with our teams at Reception and Housekeeping for review and re-training of our associates.

Clearly, my team and I would like to have another chance to welcome you back to Le Meridien Chiang Mai, and to restore your faith in our resort. If you travel schedule ever brings you back to Chiang Mai, I would be very grateful if you could contact me – tino.lindner@lemeridien.com. I would be pleased to handle your booking through my office.

Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I spent four nights at this hotel in February, during our first visit to Thailand. Overall, we had a wonderful stay and I would highly recommend this hotel to visitors to Chiang Mai. We arrived on our flight from Bangkok around 9 am and took a quick cab ride from the airport (about 70 baht). We checked in and were happy to receive a room immediately. The room was spacious and we had a nice view overlooking the city. The bed was large and comfortable. While it worked fine for us, the layout of the room/bath is a bit odd. There is a glass pane between the tub and the rest of the room, which as a shade that can be pulled down. The shade provides some separation, the only problem was the light comes through. So if the bathroom is used in the middle of the night, the light will come through to the rest of the room. This was really my only complaint with the room. Otherwise, it was very comfortable and kept clean throughout our stay.

The hotel pool area was the highlight of the hotel for me! We went every day in the afternoon to cool down. It was located on the 4th floor with a beautiful view overlooking the city. The pool was fairly large for a roof top pool, and had waterfalls and plants surrounding it. Every time we arrived at the pool, a member of the staff set up towels on our chairs and brought us menus, water, and cool towels. The prices were expensive compared to food in Chiang Mai, but very reasonable compared to the prices of food at nice hotels in the USA. Sandwiches costed about $10 US and fruit smoothies were about $6. We ordered drinks and food several times and everything was very good. The pool water was pretty cold, as other reviewers mentioned, but it was so hot in the afternoons that I certainly didn't mind and I found the water refreshing. I didn't end up using the fitness center during our stay but I saw it next to the pool and it looked very nice.

The location of the hotel was excellent, right in the center of the Night Bazaar, and it had many restaurant and shopping options within close walking distance. The old city is a short walk away and it was easy to grab a tuk tuk right outside the hotel to go anywhere around Chiang Mai. The only issue we encountered was finding a place to eat breakfast during our stay. I booked this hotel using Starpoints, with breakfast not included in our rate, and the buffet cost ($30 US) at the hotel restaurant was a bit too steep for us. But we had several tours that left early in the morning and had a difficult time finding nearby restaurants that were open early enough for us to eat breakfast before we left. We did eat once at the hotel across the street, which was considerably less expensive for the breakfast buffet at the Meridien.

Overall, we greatly enjoyed our stay at the Meridien, and I was very sad when we had to leave! We stayed in four hotels during our two week visit to Thailand, and this hotel was my favorite, by far. If I ever return to Chiang Mai in the future, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
TinoLindner, Hotel Manager at Le Meridien Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2011

Dear VAgirl505,

Sunny Greetings from Chiang Mai!

Many thanks for taking the time to post this review and to share your experiences of Le Meridien Chiang Mai. Thank you also for choosing our hotel for your 2 weeks trip to Thailand and for the privilege of taking care of you.

We are all truly delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable experience. Thank you for your feedback regarding the room readiness, the food, pool area, cleanliness, location and bathroom.

We do hope that you will have an opportunity to visit us again, and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Chiang Mai.