“Nightmare with its owner”
Review of Le Chalet Suite

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chiang Mai
Le Chalet Suite
Ranked #329 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I was in Le Chalet for 1 year because my contract was 1 year. I lived there peaceful until the stuffs started broken down. The toilet was obstructed, first I called the receptionist they told me that they will call the owner for this problem. Then I went outside and expected for convenient toilet but when i came back the obstruction wasn't solved...I went down stair for complaining that again. I saw moody owner called 'Wichai". he looked at me angrily when I complained this problem. He bawled at me impolitely that "I have already fixed it, why is it obstructed again?" He blamed me the I must put tissue paper in there, although I didn't do that. it's a nightmare because you cannot use the toilet. Not to mention the fee of electricity 9 baht/unit they told me about increasing of minimum wage, but the others apartment are 7 bath/unit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Cnx2013
There are newer reviews for Le Chalet Suite

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed there for a month since the Language Institute at the Chiang Mai University recommended the place. The location is very convenient if You are planning on doing Your TEFL in Chiang Mai. Although there are plenty of other places around. Search for accommodation by the Nimmanhaeimin Rd or downtown. Staff at the reception desk is very friendly and helpful. Although, its the owner that is an issue. That person cannot be trusted. You will get an impression that You are in a right place but don't let yourself be fooled. Electricity rate is far from fair (9 baht per unit). Room service is very expensive and I had not been informed about that beforehand. My junior Suite was 12,000 per month and it was supposed to be serviced. All to all, the place is somewhat pleasant but so are other places in such a great town as Chiang Mai. I really don't like being scammed for money and that is pretty much how I felt when they took more than half of my deposit (worth one month rent). I never damaged anything in my room and paid for the rent on arrival. I simply wasn't expecting more than half of my deposit to be acquired by the owner. Knowing how it was going to end I would have never stayed at the Le Chalet Suite.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
9  Thank Przemo_sliwka
Reviewed October 12, 2013

People have previously commented that the hotel has a "service mind" and helpful English speaking staff. Nothing could be further from the truth. Last month, when we checked into the hotel we were greeted by very rude front office staff who seemed more intent on insulting us for checking in late on our arrival (it was only 8pm). Secondly, when the manager of the hotel came downstairs, we found him to be just as insulting and obnoxious. Unfortunately, because we were new to the area, we had no other alternative. Upon check out, we greeted by the same quality of service at the beginning. We were charged for "room damage" which upon double checking was a slight scratch to the desk near the television (which could have honestly occurred before us) - 500.00 baht please and secondly, a broken light bulb which broken in a couple of days of our arrival - 120.00 baht please. Bottom line is, you would have to be an absolute mug to stay here, bad service, fragile room and high cost - is there any worse combination? There are far more better alternatives available in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: Anything above the 7/11 located below is going to be an absolute nightmare because its so loud and n...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Ordinarype0ple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My friend recommended to stay here. I visit the place and decided to stay as my friend's advised :) Chai (owner) and the staffs are very nice people, friendly + helpful. English speaking staff + service mind!!! I stay at Le Chalet Suite 10 months til now. Ofcouse, if this place and people here are not nice and feel unsafe "I would leave" ^_^ I made a lot of foreigner who leave in Chiangmai to visit Le Chalet Suite to feel an atmosphere. So, all my neighbor are my friend in a great locate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Marry H
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I read the reviews for the Le Chalet in Chiang Mai before arriving to see if they had rooms available. When I arrived to see if there were rooms available, the staff showed me one and said it would be available the following day. Le Chalet offers monthly rentals with weekly cleaning included. The staff confirmed I would receive a 1000 baht discount and parking was included. I paid my deposit and anxiously awaited moving in the following day.

When I arrived, with bags in tow, the staff told me that if I wanted the 1000 baht discount I would not be able to use the parking, which they already confirmed the day prior. Next they informed me that there would be a 500 baht cleaning fee upon check out. I explained that, a cleaning fee doesn’t really make sense when you stay at a serviced apartment. Their response was that if you stay for more that 4 months they waive that fee. The nice lady working told me there was nothing they could do about that and would not be able to refund my deposit. I was already there, already checked out of the other place and had my bags with me.

First thing I noticed when I moved in was that the walls were filthy. Shelves had not been cleaned and were covered in dust. I let it go. I didn’t want to be one of those crazy tourists that complain about anything, and get off on the wrong foot, especially since I already voiced my opinion on the cleaning fee, and parking situation.

Later on that day I noticed where the sheets tuck into the wooden bed frame was covered in hair, bugs, and complete utter filth. Not to mention the cigarette burn in the blanket. I called down stairs and asked them if they could clean. She said they could get to it later in the day. I said I would like to come down for cleaning supplies and do it myself. She sent somebody right up. I pointed out all the other items I mentioned before… Walls, refrigerator, mirrors and shelves were filtly. I stepped out so they could do the cleaning. Yet when I returned they didn’t do anything except clean around the bed. The next day, I moved the bed because 3 feet was not sufficient for working at the desk and to my surprise, months worth of garbage underneath the bed. I called downstairs again and when they arrived, I asked them if they could please, please, please clean the walls, refrigerator, mirrors and shelves when they clean all the garbage up from under the bed. The 500 baht cleaning fee upon check out was really beginning to bothering me by now. What could I do.

When I signed the rental agreement, they made sure they high lighted the portions where is says, that the occupant is responsible for broken light bulbs and anything else that happens after the first week. Including 500 baht per scratch on furniture. Maybe they’ve had situations in the past. Anyhow, I pointed out two bulbs that were burnt out when I moved in and the young lady told me it was a good thing I said something before the week was up, otherwise I would’ve been charged. I felt like this must be a game they play with tenants.

After my first weekly cleaning, I returning to my apartment and the spray hose that attaches next to the toilet was leaking water where it attaches to the wall. The floor was covered in water. I went down stairs and told them that the hose needed to be tightened up and went out for some food. When I returned, the staff told me I broke the nozzle but it was within the first week, and I wouldn’t have to pay for it’s replacement, this time. They showed me the broken nozzle. I thought to myself, that’s funny, wasn’t broken before. My own stupidity though, I should have just tightened up the fitting myself. They didn’t even give me new towels, which were sopping wet from cleaning the water up. Complete nonsense. The following week, the same grommet was leaking again, at the same location, after they cleaned my room. I went down and explained but this time I followed the owner up instead of going out. I explained what happened the week prior. And that it wasn’t my fault. He never acknowledged anything I said to him. He fixed the grommet, and wanted all the credit, for finding the leak. Great job.

Couple days went by and the water heater in the bathroom didn’t work when I returned. I was afraid to say something in fear of getting charged for a water heater. On my way out I told them, and when I returned, I was told that it was my fault that it broke because I pushed the reset button for more that 5 seconds. But I wouldn’t have to pay this time. But next time I would need to pay.

One week before my departure, they totaled up my water and electric. This was at the 3 week mark. In the contract it says electric is a 120 baht minimum. My water usage was 90 baht, but they charged me 120 baht. I mentioned that this was totaled for 3 weeks, and would be moving out the following week, and didn’t want to pay the minimum of 120 baht this week and the next. She acknowledged my concern and assured me they would not double charge me. Upon check out, guess what, They charged me the full 120 minimum again on 30 baht of water. It’s ok though, somehow, deep down, I knew this was going to happen. She offed that I could return the following day for my deposit, but said was fairly certain the owner would not return it. She even took out the contract and showed me the high lighted section where is says 120 baht minimum and reminded me that signed the contract. I took my remaining deposit.

I was taking Thai lessons and enjoyed making small talk with the staff. I a few of the staff come and go in the short amount of time I was there. The location is right next to Chiang Mai University and there is a 7-eleven close by.

Would I stay at the Le Chalet in Chiang Mai again? I thought it through strongly before writing this review and I would rethink staying there if you have the option. They do offer daily rentals, and that might not be so bad, as long as you don’t sign a contract. Electricity was extremely expensive at 9 baht per unit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Peter F
Reviewed July 2, 2012

After seeing some 1-star reviews about the Chalet Suite, I feel that I should give a more balanced review... I stayed for almost two years and enjoyed it very much.

Like most serviced apartments and hotels, the Chalet Suite has two rates: a daily rate and a monthly rate (which equals about 10 times daily rate). The daily rate is similar to a hotel and includes everything, while the monthly rate is like renting an apartment where the tenant pays for actual water and electricity consumption plus other services. And if one commits to a longer rental, the rates are lower. Sure, the low monthly rates don't include the services of a hotel but this is not only obvious but also clearly spelled out in the lease agreement. The rates advertised in front of the building are the rates for the cheapest rooms but Chalet Suite has actually many types of rooms, including a very large suite on the top floor. Sure, sometimes the cheapest rooms are sold out and the advertised "starting at" price still shows the price of the sold out room, but making this subject of a complaint??!! Plus, before I moved into Chalet Suite, I compared with many nearby apartment buildings and found that the rates are actually quite low compared to similar places in the area.

The WiFi is available in every room on every floor and works quite well at most times but it can get slow during early evenings when a lot of people are using it. After moving from the Chalet Suite to a larger apartment in the area (at 3 times the price), I had to subscribe to 3BB internet, and even though I am the only user, it slows down in early evenings. So, I wouldn't blame Chalet Suite.

The owner (Wichay) goes out of his way to make the residents feel comfortable. Leaving the apartment at 4 am? No problem, the owner will be there to check you out. The owner is trying to keep the place in excellent shape. There have been cases where residents thought they could have a big drunken party that prevents the rest of the residents from sleeping, and the owner would ask such people to move out for the sake of the rest of the residents. From my point of view, I appreciate that the owner doesn't tolerate those few that disturb the vast majority. The troublemakers that are being kicked out might call the owner a "psycho" but we other residents sure side with the owner.

The location is excellent at Wat Soi Umong with a 7-Eleven right in the building. It's great to be able to buy something to drink in the middle of the night, but the downside is that other people do that too, so there is noise. Same with the location: it's very convenient but there is also much traffic. Anyways, almost all the time, one can choose between a room on the side of the busy street and enjoy the view of the mountain, or a room on the opposite side that's quiet but doesn't offer much of a view. From my point of view, I wouldn't complain and blame the owner for the street noise but rather select a room on the opposite side of the building. Or close the window.

Security is great with 24 security guard, CCTV and keycard entry system.

All in all, I have very fond memories of my stay at Chalet Suite. I hope that this review gives a more balanced picture and puts those 1-star reviews into perspective.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the mountain have a pretty view but expect to hear some street noise if the windows...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TJB007
Reviewed January 11, 2012

i stayed here for almost 1 year. i think this was a nice place!

there's a 7-11 convenient store and a drug store at the front floor, fast wifi internet, weekly maid service
but very few parking spaces and i love that this place has a security guard 24 hours

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo