Le Chalet Suite
Sleep Guesthouse(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
$27
$25
  • Breakfast included
V Lodge(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
$36
$52
$368
$258
Agoda.com
HOSTEL by BED(Chiang Mai)(Great Value!)
$16
Lime House(Chiang Mai)
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I read the reviews for the Le Chalet in Chiang Mai before arriving to see if they had rooms available. When I arrived to see if there were rooms available, the staff showed me one and said it would be available the following day. Le Chalet offers monthly rentals with weekly cleaning included. The staff confirmed I would receive a 1000 baht discount and parking was included. I paid my deposit and anxiously awaited moving in the following day.

When I arrived, with bags in tow, the staff told me that if I wanted the 1000 baht discount I would not be able to use the parking, which they already confirmed the day prior. Next they informed me that there would be a 500 baht cleaning fee upon check out. I explained that, a cleaning fee doesn’t really make sense when you stay at a serviced apartment. Their response was that if you stay for more that 4 months they waive that fee. The nice lady working told me there was nothing they could do about that and would not be able to refund my deposit. I was already there, already checked out of the other place and had my bags with me.

First thing I noticed when I moved in was that the walls were filthy. Shelves had not been cleaned and were covered in dust. I let it go. I didn’t want to be one of those crazy tourists that complain about anything, and get off on the wrong foot, especially since I already voiced my opinion on the cleaning fee, and parking situation.

Later on that day I noticed where the sheets tuck into the wooden bed frame was covered in hair, bugs, and complete utter filth. Not to mention the cigarette burn in the blanket. I called down stairs and asked them if they could clean. She said they could get to it later in the day. I said I would like to come down for cleaning supplies and do it myself. She sent somebody right up. I pointed out all the other items I mentioned before… Walls, refrigerator, mirrors and shelves were filtly. I stepped out so they could do the cleaning. Yet when I returned they didn’t do anything except clean around the bed. The next day, I moved the bed because 3 feet was not sufficient for working at the desk and to my surprise, months worth of garbage underneath the bed. I called downstairs again and when they arrived, I asked them if they could please, please, please clean the walls, refrigerator, mirrors and shelves when they clean all the garbage up from under the bed. The 500 baht cleaning fee upon check out was really beginning to bothering me by now. What could I do.

When I signed the rental agreement, they made sure they high lighted the portions where is says, that the occupant is responsible for broken light bulbs and anything else that happens after the first week. Including 500 baht per scratch on furniture. Maybe they’ve had situations in the past. Anyhow, I pointed out two bulbs that were burnt out when I moved in and the young lady told me it was a good thing I said something before the week was up, otherwise I would’ve been charged. I felt like this must be a game they play with tenants.

After my first weekly cleaning, I returning to my apartment and the spray hose that attaches next to the toilet was leaking water where it attaches to the wall. The floor was covered in water. I went down stairs and told them that the hose needed to be tightened up and went out for some food. When I returned, the staff told me I broke the nozzle but it was within the first week, and I wouldn’t have to pay for it’s replacement, this time. They showed me the broken nozzle. I thought to myself, that’s funny, wasn’t broken before. My own stupidity though, I should have just tightened up the fitting myself. They didn’t even give me new towels, which were sopping wet from cleaning the water up. Complete nonsense. The following week, the same grommet was leaking again, at the same location, after they cleaned my room. I went down and explained but this time I followed the owner up instead of going out. I explained what happened the week prior. And that it wasn’t my fault. He never acknowledged anything I said to him. He fixed the grommet, and wanted all the credit, for finding the leak. Great job.

Couple days went by and the water heater in the bathroom didn’t work when I returned. I was afraid to say something in fear of getting charged for a water heater. On my way out I told them, and when I returned, I was told that it was my fault that it broke because I pushed the reset button for more that 5 seconds. But I wouldn’t have to pay this time. But next time I would need to pay.

One week before my departure, they totaled up my water and electric. This was at the 3 week mark. In the contract it says electric is a 120 baht minimum. My water usage was 90 baht, but they charged me 120 baht. I mentioned that this was totaled for 3 weeks, and would be moving out the following week, and didn’t want to pay the minimum of 120 baht this week and the next. She acknowledged my concern and assured me they would not double charge me. Upon check out, guess what, They charged me the full 120 minimum again on 30 baht of water. It’s ok though, somehow, deep down, I knew this was going to happen. She offed that I could return the following day for my deposit, but said was fairly certain the owner would not return it. She even took out the contract and showed me the high lighted section where is says 120 baht minimum and reminded me that signed the contract. I took my remaining deposit.

I was taking Thai lessons and enjoyed making small talk with the staff. I a few of the staff come and go in the short amount of time I was there. The location is right next to Chiang Mai University and there is a 7-eleven close by.

Would I stay at the Le Chalet in Chiang Mai again? I thought it through strongly before writing this review and I would rethink staying there if you have the option. They do offer daily rentals, and that might not be so bad, as long as you don’t sign a contract. Electricity was extremely expensive at 9 baht per unit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Peter F
Reviewed July 2, 2012

After seeing some 1-star reviews about the Chalet Suite, I feel that I should give a more balanced review... I stayed for almost two years and enjoyed it very much.

Like most serviced apartments and hotels, the Chalet Suite has two rates: a daily rate and a monthly rate (which equals about 10 times daily rate). The daily rate is similar to a hotel and includes everything, while the monthly rate is like renting an apartment where the tenant pays for actual water and electricity consumption plus other services. And if one commits to a longer rental, the rates are lower. Sure, the low monthly rates don't include the services of a hotel but this is not only obvious but also clearly spelled out in the lease agreement. The rates advertised in front of the building are the rates for the cheapest rooms but Chalet Suite has actually many types of rooms, including a very large suite on the top floor. Sure, sometimes the cheapest rooms are sold out and the advertised "starting at" price still shows the price of the sold out room, but making this subject of a complaint??!! Plus, before I moved into Chalet Suite, I compared with many nearby apartment buildings and found that the rates are actually quite low compared to similar places in the area.

The WiFi is available in every room on every floor and works quite well at most times but it can get slow during early evenings when a lot of people are using it. After moving from the Chalet Suite to a larger apartment in the area (at 3 times the price), I had to subscribe to 3BB internet, and even though I am the only user, it slows down in early evenings. So, I wouldn't blame Chalet Suite.

The owner (Wichay) goes out of his way to make the residents feel comfortable. Leaving the apartment at 4 am? No problem, the owner will be there to check you out. The owner is trying to keep the place in excellent shape. There have been cases where residents thought they could have a big drunken party that prevents the rest of the residents from sleeping, and the owner would ask such people to move out for the sake of the rest of the residents. From my point of view, I appreciate that the owner doesn't tolerate those few that disturb the vast majority. The troublemakers that are being kicked out might call the owner a "psycho" but we other residents sure side with the owner.

The location is excellent at Wat Soi Umong with a 7-Eleven right in the building. It's great to be able to buy something to drink in the middle of the night, but the downside is that other people do that too, so there is noise. Same with the location: it's very convenient but there is also much traffic. Anyways, almost all the time, one can choose between a room on the side of the busy street and enjoy the view of the mountain, or a room on the opposite side that's quiet but doesn't offer much of a view. From my point of view, I wouldn't complain and blame the owner for the street noise but rather select a room on the opposite side of the building. Or close the window.

Security is great with 24 security guard, CCTV and keycard entry system.

All in all, I have very fond memories of my stay at Chalet Suite. I hope that this review gives a more balanced picture and puts those 1-star reviews into perspective.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the mountain have a pretty view but expect to hear some street noise if the windows are open.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TJB007
Reviewed January 11, 2012

i stayed here for almost 1 year. i think this was a nice place!

there's a 7-11 convenient store and a drug store at the front floor, fast wifi internet, weekly maid service
but very few parking spaces and i love that this place has a security guard 24 hours

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Pattra S
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Be careful of this place. They don't have WiFi in the building and they are very expensive. I was very optimistic about getting a place here as it is close to Chiang Mai University, but I had to move to another building close by. The owner is a guy named Chai (with his assistant Nui). Be careful, they are very dishonest regarding the building, fees as well as what they can reasonably offer you. This is not something common in Thailand, but unfortunately it does happen. They told me that they the room I was renting had not only WiFi, but very good WiFi. If you are a student or are working, have an internet connection is non-negotiable. They purposely lied. When I moved and complained, they said I could move out, but that they would charge me for 3x the amount of time that I stayed. Also, the room was extremely loud. I could hear motorbikes like they were right next time. I have been coming to Thailand for 8 years - this is one of the noisiest rooms I've ever slept in. Some posters have rated this place favorably, but please be aware that experiences may differ. Also, if you are not renting out through your university, this can be prohibitively expensive and poor quality, especially when compared to the rest of Chiang Mai.

They are dishonest. Please be careful of scammers. I am posting this so that other travelers/potential tenants have some background information.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
14  Thank philstravel
Reviewed July 7, 2010

i stayed for 1 month in le chalet.

the hotel is located near by chiang university. This small alley is therefor a busy street but I did not mind.
Furthermore because there are lots of students the prices of the different products are also lower than in the city. Like the hairdresser, food, drinks etc.

when you look around the hotel you see lots of locals and their houses and their business. i think that is also a postive thing.

In the morning you hear lots of birds whistling. My room was located on the topfloor looking at doi suthep. Really marvellous!!!

The only minus point is that you need a motorbike. But if that is no problem for you than you should definately book here!

Awin