“I don't understand those 1-star reviews...”
Review of Le Chalet Suite

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chiang Mai
Le Chalet Suite
Ranked #329 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 2, 2012

After seeing some 1-star reviews about the Chalet Suite, I feel that I should give a more balanced review... I stayed for almost two years and enjoyed it very much.

Like most serviced apartments and hotels, the Chalet Suite has two rates: a daily rate and a monthly rate (which equals about 10 times daily rate). The daily rate is similar to a hotel and includes everything, while the monthly rate is like renting an apartment where the tenant pays for actual water and electricity consumption plus other services. And if one commits to a longer rental, the rates are lower. Sure, the low monthly rates don't include the services of a hotel but this is not only obvious but also clearly spelled out in the lease agreement. The rates advertised in front of the building are the rates for the cheapest rooms but Chalet Suite has actually many types of rooms, including a very large suite on the top floor. Sure, sometimes the cheapest rooms are sold out and the advertised "starting at" price still shows the price of the sold out room, but making this subject of a complaint??!! Plus, before I moved into Chalet Suite, I compared with many nearby apartment buildings and found that the rates are actually quite low compared to similar places in the area.

The WiFi is available in every room on every floor and works quite well at most times but it can get slow during early evenings when a lot of people are using it. After moving from the Chalet Suite to a larger apartment in the area (at 3 times the price), I had to subscribe to 3BB internet, and even though I am the only user, it slows down in early evenings. So, I wouldn't blame Chalet Suite.

The owner (Wichay) goes out of his way to make the residents feel comfortable. Leaving the apartment at 4 am? No problem, the owner will be there to check you out. The owner is trying to keep the place in excellent shape. There have been cases where residents thought they could have a big drunken party that prevents the rest of the residents from sleeping, and the owner would ask such people to move out for the sake of the rest of the residents. From my point of view, I appreciate that the owner doesn't tolerate those few that disturb the vast majority. The troublemakers that are being kicked out might call the owner a "psycho" but we other residents sure side with the owner.

The location is excellent at Wat Soi Umong with a 7-Eleven right in the building. It's great to be able to buy something to drink in the middle of the night, but the downside is that other people do that too, so there is noise. Same with the location: it's very convenient but there is also much traffic. Anyways, almost all the time, one can choose between a room on the side of the busy street and enjoy the view of the mountain, or a room on the opposite side that's quiet but doesn't offer much of a view. From my point of view, I wouldn't complain and blame the owner for the street noise but rather select a room on the opposite side of the building. Or close the window.

Security is great with 24 security guard, CCTV and keycard entry system.

All in all, I have very fond memories of my stay at Chalet Suite. I hope that this review gives a more balanced picture and puts those 1-star reviews into perspective.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the mountain have a pretty view but expect to hear some street noise if the windows...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TJB007
There are newer reviews for Le Chalet Suite

Reviewed January 11, 2012

i stayed here for almost 1 year. i think this was a nice place!

there's a 7-11 convenient store and a drug store at the front floor, fast wifi internet, weekly maid service
but very few parking spaces and i love that this place has a security guard 24 hours

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Pattra S
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Be careful of this place. They don't have WiFi in the building and they are very expensive. I was very optimistic about getting a place here as it is close to Chiang Mai University, but I had to move to another building close by. The owner is a guy named Chai (with his assistant Nui). Be careful, they are very dishonest regarding the building, fees as well as what they can reasonably offer you. This is not something common in Thailand, but unfortunately it does happen. They told me that they the room I was renting had not only WiFi, but very good WiFi. If you are a student or are working, have an internet connection is non-negotiable. They purposely lied. When I moved and complained, they said I could move out, but that they would charge me for 3x the amount of time that I stayed. Also, the room was extremely loud. I could hear motorbikes like they were right next time. I have been coming to Thailand for 8 years - this is one of the noisiest rooms I've ever slept in. Some posters have rated this place favorably, but please be aware that experiences may differ. Also, if you are not renting out through your university, this can be prohibitively expensive and poor quality, especially when compared to the rest of Chiang Mai.

They are dishonest. Please be careful of scammers. I am posting this so that other travelers/potential tenants have some background information.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
14  Thank philstravel
Reviewed July 7, 2010

i stayed for 1 month in le chalet.

the hotel is located near by chiang university. This small alley is therefor a busy street but I did not mind.
Furthermore because there are lots of students the prices of the different products are also lower than in the city. Like the hairdresser, food, drinks etc.

when you look around the hotel you see lots of locals and their houses and their business. i think that is also a postive thing.

In the morning you hear lots of birds whistling. My room was located on the topfloor looking at doi suthep. Really marvellous!!!

The only minus point is that you need a motorbike. But if that is no problem for you than you should definately book here!

Awin
(Amsterdam- Holland)

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank stormyseal
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I was looking for accommodation in Le Chalet's neighbourhood, and knew that it was very close to where I would be staying long term - less than 100 metres away, as it turned out. On the day of check in I made an internet request for a room, and followed this up with a phone call when I arrived at Chiang Mai airport. I caught a taxi (B120 - standard airport taxi charge, although the drive was only 5 minutes). On checkin I was asked for B300 deposit in addition to the room charge, and then was accompanied up my room on the second floor I was only staying for one night and had asked for a basic room. For B650 I got a very comfortable and spotlessly clean aircon room in good condition. The bed was firm in the Thai style, the bathroom was OK (good shower, no bath), the tiling in both areas was very high quality. I liked the ambience of the place.
There were two bottles of water in the fridge, but the room had no coffee or tea facilities.
There was some traffic noise - the room overlooked the street - but the noise was from scooters and cars, rather than trucks. Good quality wifi was provided free of charge, with no limits.
The staff at reception were helpful in giving me directions, and I felt secure and looked after during my visit.
The deposit was refunded when I checked out: the receptionist rushed up to my room and came back with the remotes for the TV and air-con - evidently that's what the deposit was for.
This hotel is near Chiang Mai University, and not in the hub of touristic endeavours. It doesn't have in-house catering, so all it's selling you, in essence, is the room. There's a 7/11 and a chemist shop in the building, and cafes up and down the street, with lots more on Suthep Road (a 5 minute walk away). It's in an interesting neighbourhood, with great cheap eats, night stalls, lots of street life.
The B650 rate for my room was OK, the B6000 montly rate is a bargain, as is often the case in Chiang Mai. If you're going to be staying here for more than 10 days, book for a month.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo