“Felt Like Home!”

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #79 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a beautiful trip to Thailand that included 3 days in Chiang Mai. We randomly chose this hotel from their website and reviews and must say we were not disappointed. We arrived late at night and both Mr. Kem and his wife were waiting for us! They made us feel like family. My husband's knee had swelled from the constant walking and humidity and they immediately brought ice and made sure we had ice throughout our stay. Our room was small but clean. It was conveniently located a few blocks away from the Anusarn Night Market and street shops. Mr. Kem has a great tuk tuk driver/friend that took us around at a very low cost. Mr. Kem would come to visit us during our morning breakfast (complimentary) and sit & just chat with us. Highly recommend Vanilla Place!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I never write reviews good or bad. This place deserves 6 stars. Mr Kem took care of everything; laundry, directions, taxis, scooter rental. This place is not a 5 star hotel. But the room is cleaned daily the location is great and the hospitality is out of this world. Stay here and you will not be disappointed!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

In light of all the gushing reviews, I will attempt to itemize the excellent service of Vanilla Place, so that readers have an idea what we are raving about.

Mr. Kem, his wife and cuddly dog Happy are the dynamic trio running Vanilla Place. During your stay you will primarily interact with Mr. Kem.

Vanilla Place is a quaint hotel that is a home away from home. This location is ideal for any down-to-earth, good nature and warm hearted traveler. If this is your first time to the Chiang Mai area and/or you wish you had someone to advise on the best Chiang Mai has to offer, then Vanilla Place is for you.

This is not a luxurious place, but an excellent place. Vanilla Place is a mutli-story facility was cozy basic rooms. There is not an elevator, but the staff will take your bags upstairs. The rooms offer an ensuite bathroom with a hot shower, a phone and a television. I mention the land-line, because some international call plans are cheaper with a land-line. The rooms along the front of the hotel have balconies. The common area includes a computer terminal, television with dvd player and light refreshments. There is a light complimentary breakfast perfect for starting the day.

As a guest at Vanilla Place you benefit from the hospitality and expertise of Mr. Kem. Mr. Kem knows the area well and will always recommend the most cost effective option without sacrificing quality. You may find a cheaper tour, but will probably not have the best experience. I avoid travel agents, but after the first recommendation from Mr. Kem, I kicked back and let him book all my tours and travel. I had a blast! Specifically, Mr. Kem arranged a scooter rental, a driver, the Chiang Rai/White Temple tour, Mahout Elephant/Bamboo raft tour and the bus transit to Bangkok. PLEASE tell Mr. Kem if anything he suggested or booked was not satisfactory. He wants to know, because running a top-notch B&B does not leave time to try out tours. Services and tours change over time.

I even had an accident while in Chiang Mai that was completely my fault. Mr. Kem generously assisted me with regrouping and making the most of my stay in Chiang Mai. This was my first trip to SE Asia. Mr. Kem assured that my trip started off beautifully. I was able to adjust to the local culture, which became invaluable after I left Vanilla Place.

Chiang Mai Tips:
1. Sunday over Night Market: The Sunday market is smaller, but offers a better selection. The sellers work both, but instead of wading through endless aisles for find the best product, they are all there on Sunday. The food is definitely better too!

2. Chiang Rai Tour Overrated: If you are pressed for time, skip the Chiang Rai tour. You spend 6 hours in the van and 2 hours touring. The sites are not that impressive. The Golden Triangle is a muddy river with a boat ride pointing out illegal casinos. The White Temple is not a real temple, but built by a rich guy with murals of Michael Jackson and Freddy Kreuger.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street have quite a bit of street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank CuriousTrvl
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at the Vanilla Place for only two nights and will look forward to staying there again when I go back hopefully in a few months.
Mr. Kem welcomed me with a warm smile, and with all his kindness of making sure I had all the information I needed to make my next few days perfect.
As a female traveling alone, you tend to be more skeptical about where you stay but this hotel was PERFECT! Great location, great price, very clean rooms and Mr. Kem who makes the difference.
He even made sure I had my breakfast before I left to catch my flight as it wasn't suppose to start before 7.
Thanks Mr. Kem, I look forward to seeing you one day soon

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed at Vanilla Place for two nights, but I wish I could stay longer. Mr Khem is amazing! His hospitality, tips and smiles made my days in Chiang Mai a real pleasure! The room is so clean and comfy!
I arrived at 7am from Bangkok and he offered me a breakfast straight away.
The whole place smells vanilla, a very special touch from the owners! The towels and linens are clean and soft! I traveled a lot in Thailand, but this place is definetely the best one I've ever stayed! Thanks, Mr Khem! See you next time! :)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Sadly, we have left Vanilla Place after spending 3 nights there. We had originally only booked for 1 night, but were so impressed with Mr Kem's hospitality and kindness that we extended our stay - "no problem".

Vanilla Place is in a fantastic location - literally metres from the Anusan Night Bazaar markets, quirky little bars and great food. It is also very close to the Old Chiangmai area of town, where there are multitudes of shops, cafes, bars, restaurants and of course, the Sunday Walking Street markets. What an experience! Mr Kem advised us not to pay any more than 50baht to get there by a tuktuk, otherwise it is a 20min walk.

Vanilla place is extremely clean and very secure. The air conditioning in the room makes for a very comfortable stay when it's so hot outside. A basic breakfast is included, as is bottled water and new towels each day. There is a computer with internet available in the common area and free wifi in the rooms.

We cannot speak highly enough of the hospitality shown to us by Mr Kem. He was so helpful and advised us about many options of things to do and great places to eat. He was most helpful when we asked him about the art of bargaining with Thai locals. He arranged a scooter hire for us (150 baht for a full day), had our laundry done (40 baht per kg) and also arranged our taxi to the airport (100baht). All the while, not intruding on our stay or trying to "sell" us anything, he just genuinely wants to help.

We wouldn't consider staying anywhere else if we returned to Chiangmai.

Thank you so much Mr Kem and all the staff at Vanilla Place, you are always welcome to stay with us if you ever visit Australia!

Amy and Peter.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maree80
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Perfect guesthouse, my husband's and mine first trip to Thailand. Mr. Khem and his wife made sure we enjoyed ourselves. Take his advice, he is honestly looking out for your interest. I would recommend Vanilla place to all. Especially if your budget conscious. Everything he recommended was right.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple