“Best place to stay in Chiang Mai”

Vanilla Place Guest House
Ranked #53 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed August 4, 2013

It has taken me a while to write this review as I'm a bit lazy but have finally got around to it! Last September (2012) my Fiancée and I stayed here for 5 nights. The location is ideal for being able to walk to the various markets and restaurants in the town and the Guest House itself is spacious and welcoming. The morning breakfast was basic but had everything you needed to start the day.

As many others have commented, Mr Kem is an excellent host and made us feel very welcome. When it came to booking trips or asking for recommendations he couldn't have been more helpful.

I would thoroughly recommend The Vanilla Place Guesthouse to anyone visiting Chiang Mai looking to experience what the City has to offer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Vanilla Place Guest House

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We booked the guesthouse upon reading the good reviews (and yes, the terrible comments as well) for a 4 nights stay.

The guesthouse is nearby the Night Bazaar (5-10 minutes walk), and a 30 minutes walk away to Sunday walking street and the Old City. A few tuk-tuk and songthaews are readily available along the street, so transportation is extremely convenient if you don’t feel like walking.

Breakfast served are quite basic, but with variety of choices and is often ready before breakfast time, (which is at 7am) if you need to be out by then.

We requested for the superior room at the back so it was not noisy. The room with its attached bathroom is simple and a bit rustic, but clean, comfortable & sufficient to give you quality resting & sleeping time. Housekeeping is done daily, and they provide clean towels (not extremely new though) and 2 bottles of mineral water daily.

Mr Kem has indeed made the stay very pleasant. He advised us on places to go and must-see, unfortunately, but we were quite beat to do all..:) He also arranged for best deal tours with quality service, and asked for feedback at the end of the day. He can also arrange for motorbike rental, car for hire etc.

He even came out and flag for a songthaew to bring us to the airport, when we could have easily done it ourselves. We have stayed in many guesthouses before, but this is the first time we’ve received such wonderful extended service. And he recommends things to do without being pushy or expecting a commission, as he does not. Meeting a genuine person like him was a pleasure, and I felt very sad leaving. I felt at home.

In overall, the guesthouse is well-maintained and managed, and for the extra miles of services and effort, I'd say it's worth the money spent for a guesthouse. 2 thumbs up!

Thank you so much again, Mr Kem. You are such a gem!
And of course Happy (an adorable shihtzu) is a great receptionist..:)

Note to other travelers (can’t help but to write this after reading some unfair comments).
If you are doing cost/condition comparison, please do not compare taking an aircond minibus vs. a songthaew, or between a guesthouse vs. a luxurious 5-star hotel. The tour or ride prices to various places differ. Do your research well, and decide for yourself. Mr Kem is giving us an opportunity to make our stay in Chiangmai pleasant and convenient, but the choice is ours. If you are on a tight budget, source & bargain outside. You might get a slightly cheaper ride/tour, but you wouldn’t know about the service quality.

Room Tip: Tell the owner your preference i.e. not noisy etc.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelynn16
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Vanilla Place Guest House in Chiang Mai was fabulous. Initally upon finding out about the Vanilla Place, I tried to book a room online and the reservations website said there were no rooms available so I emailed Kem myself and he actually had space so make sure you contact him directly. We started our family holiday (with a 19 and a 20 year old) in Chiang Mai after a difficult train ride from Bangkok. Kem gave our taxi driver directions to the house so we could get there as quickly as possible and immediately upon arrival, Kem was there to greet us with a cold glass of water--most welcome. Our rooms, with air conditioning, were delightful, spotless and welcoming. The beds were great and we all fell asleep easily every night. The bathrooms had fresh towels every day and hot water immediately upon turning on the tap. Kem booked all of our trips around Chiang Mai and saved our family a lot of money--listen to what he tells you and suggests. He listens to your wants and needs and then helps you make the right choice. We were going to go on one ziplining expedition and he recommended another one which was several hundred baht cheaper, but was worth way more in the way of fun and wow factor for our family. It included almost three hours of ziplines, abseils, bridges etc up in the rain forest and at the end of it, we had a Thai buffet lunch and a t-shirt. He also arrranged a driver for us so we could visit the handicrafts area of Chiang Mai and the driver was exceptional. Each morning we had a great buffet breakfast with very pleasant hot coffee--something we had trouble finding elsewhere on our travels. We had early morning trips but breakfast was always ready for our family. As well, Kem and his wife have a little dog named Happy who filled us with happiness each day. Every day, upon our return from our adventures, Kem was there to meet us and see if everything was satisfactory and as you can see, it was always way more than that. He even got us a taxi by waiting on the street for us as our driver's vehicle broke down at the last minute. We had rooms in the front of the guest house so we were able to watch the events in the street--it was a quiet street but still fun to watch. Enjoy your stay at the Vanilla Place--you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room with windows.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank colber123
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights last December. I was traveling solo for a month, and this was my last leg of the trip. The owners are incredibly sweet and very helpful. They made me feel very much at home.

Book most of your excursions through them, you'll actually get a better deal. As well as your driver. Everything that Mr Kem suggested was right on point.

I absolutely adore this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Katrina A
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at the Vanilla Place Guest House for 3 nights in April 2013. It was my first time in Chiang Mai and I am delighted that I chose this hotel after reading the many great reviews.
Mr Kem and his wife are such lovely people, always helpful and giving the best advice. They really helped me make the most of experiencing the best of Chiang Mai in such a short period of time.

We stayed in a superior room which was cleaned daily and we were given 2 bottles of water every day which housekeeping kindly made available in the fridge for us. The one thing I loved the most about this place, there was not a single mosquito.

I have read reviews where they mentioned that showering can be messy as the water goes everywhere. The shower head is hand-held, I didn’t find this to be a problem at all. There was good water pressure and the hot water was instantaneous. The bathroom was also impeccably cleaned daily.

The light breakfast was great. They even provided cereal for my little boy.

On the last night of our stay I went across the road for a massage and Mr Kem offered to look after my 4 year old. I don’t get a lot of “me” time, thus this was an offer I could not refuse. When I returned, poor Mr Kem looked so exhausted, but he just smiled at me and said how good my son was. (My little boy is currently at the stage where he likes to ask the same question repeatedly in succession that even his 22 year old aunt gets worn out.)

Staying at the Vanilla Place is like staying in the home of your nicest relative where you are well looked after. I wanted to experience the real Chiang Mai, and I experienced the best of it at Vanilla Place.

Mr Kem, please accept my sincere apologies for taking so long to write this. After we left my son kept asking if we were going home, and when I tell him we were home, he would say “the other home, the one with Happy”. Please give Happy some cuddles from us.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anni S
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed over for 4 nights and it was just great. Mr Kem and Mrs Cat were very nice and helpful. Eve who helped them when there were out of town were also very patient and helpful with us, she explained the places around Chiang Mai and kept ensuring that we are 100% experienced with the motorcycle. Hence after that she made sure a new bike was requested for us and got us a map. Explanation was fantastic and it wasn't hard to go around Chiang Mai. Also, the location of Vanilla Place is fantastic, it is just a mere 5 minute walk to Anasarn Market and there are plenty of really good massage places within walking distance especially after a long day of travelling around beautiful Chiang Mai.

Rooms and toilets are really clean. We get fresh towels everyday and they are always there to help. There was a night we came back at midnight to find out we forgot our keys. >.< Thank God for Mr Kem, I was worried that I would be disturbing his sleep but he was still very cheerful when he met us and kindly opened the door for us. :) Thank you Mr Kem

Simple breakfast but they are all really healthy, once they even kept the fruits for each of us in the fridge and gave it to us when we came down. I guess we were really late lol

Overall, I owe Mr Kem, Mrs Cat and Eve for all the help that we could get when we were there. Once again, a great place, great location and fantastic service; with a great price :)

Room Tip: I got the front room, and I don't think it was really noisy. Bearable for my case
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days and every thing was perfect. The owner and his wife are amazing. You can tell they make an effort to make you feel at home. The rooms are very nice and clean, the place overall is.

• Stayed: May 2013