“Felt like a guest!”

Ranked #45 of 376 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Melbourne, Australia
“Felt like a guest!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

It's been a year since our family (including 3 teenagers) visited but I was singing the praises of Vanilla Place Guest House to a friend just the other day. This was our favourite accommodation during out two week stay in Thailand. The accommodation was beautiful and the service excellent. We lashed out and spent two nights in a 'posh' hotel in Bangkok and found the service and friendliness way below the standard that Kem offered. He organised tours for us that were cheaper than booking directly online. ( I checked). He picked us up from the train free of charge. He recommended places to visit and places to eat. One tiny negative - the beds were very hard. If I ever get a chance to return to Chiang Mai I know exactly where I will be staying.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
nor cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Family trip to Chiang Mai and booked 2 rooms at Vanilla Place for our stay. One for me and my bf and other for my bf's sis and cousins. And we all have no regrets! Mr Kem and his wife (and their dog Happy, whose name fits him most perfectly) define hospitality and customer service. The location is close to everything so you can walk or have short tuktuk ride. Rooms are modest but clean and comfortable. A/C, good water pressure, and wifi...happy happy. Mr Kem will be more than happy to arrange anything for you and he won't pressure you or try to oversell you on anything. I can't explain how genuine this guy is! For instance, he recommended that we use the songtao for our day of excursions 'cause the weather was cooler and its cheaper than an A/C van. And he also recommended Mr Ting. I thought Mr Ting was just gonna drive us from place to place. No, he walked with us for a bit in the elephant camp and took pictures for us and showed us around. When it came to lunch, he made sure we got everything we wanted and got all the fixins for a picnic by the waterfalls and pointed us in the right direction. After our last excursion, we caught him playing his guitar to pass the time. We asked him to play us something and sure enough, we got a little Simon and Garfunkel serenade (and he was good)! And he tried to give his tip that we gave him back!!! Who does that!?! He honestly was pushing the bahts back into my bf's hand. Yes, Vanilla Place is not the most luxurious accommodations but if you want quality people to make sure you have the most fabulous time you can in Chiang Mai, you can not go wrong with Mr Kem and co.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank meliss1204
Griffith, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in June this year.Room very clean and comfortable.Mr. Kem was very friendly and helpful.Breakfast was great.We left early on our last day,so was not expecting breakfast,but Mr Kem had it ready for us.I would recommend this hotel to anyone,wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Vanilla Place for 5 nights and really enjoyed my stay. Kem is really nice and helpful. He books tours for you on a discount which is really great. I went trekking and everyone else paid about 300 baht more than me. The guesthouse is clean and welcoming. The location is also very convent. It's a 5 minute walk from the night market. The only thing I didn't love was the price. It is definitely a little pricier than other houses. However, for about an extra $10 a night, it is very enjoyable.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a few nights in February this year, and although we did not get to meet the famous Mr Kem, we were well taken care of by his daughter. The guest house is clean and comfortable, and there is free wi-fi which was very convenient. We did have to climb up several flights of stairs to get to our room, but this was not a major issue. It's located close to many restaurants and it is a little bit of a walk to the city centre, but it's definitely doable (just go in the early morning before it gets too hot). Mr Kem's daughter was really helpful in helping us organise activities and tours but was not pushy about anything. The vanilla scent around the guest house was a really lovely touch :) Overall, Vanilla Place is really good value and I would recommend staying there if visiting Chiang Mai.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Welcomed with cool water and a warm smile. Pay cash upfront. City explained and map provided straight away. Wonderful location. Close to markets, old city etc. however u r not right in the middle of it! It is just like staying at your families house! Amazing!!!!!! Chiang Mia is the best city in thialand.

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I would highly reccomment Vanilla Place!! Mr Kem is a true treasure he is one of the nicest people I have met. The location of this place is great very central to food places and things to do. The rooms also are very cosy. I will definitely be coming back to stay at Vanilla place. :)

• Stayed June 2012