“Far from real Italia”

Pum Pui Italian Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2013

After a good advice in our guidebook we went to pum pui. Food has nothing to do with the quality of Italian food. Pizza dough is tasteless and ravioli were not even better than the one you can buy in supermarket in France...
When I told the owner the food was no good I was answered that "all the customers say it's the best pizza in Chiang Mai" and "I am Italian".
Maybe he's Italian but seems he left it too much time ago... I live next to Italia and go each month to Italia just for Pasta and Pizza, I can tell you this has nothing to deal with it !
Restaurant to avoid ! (expensive moreover)

1  Thank LauraFrenchInRussia

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Most dishes are very good, with the exception of their Caesar salad, which was a vinaigrette the likes I've never tasted and didn't resemble any Caesar I'd ever had. The atmosphere is pleasant, and the wait staff is good. However, the the uncovered lights that ring the outer wall end up blinding your peripheral vision by the time you leave. I'e heard many people complain about this, but apparently not to the owner, as they've never done anything about it for all the years they've been open. I'd go more often if I wasn't blinded by the harsh lighting. It's a really easy fix.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

If it were not for our friends, we would never have been able to locate this place as it is in a small soi in the old city and we seemed to be a little lost.

Loved the courtyard setting where it was nice and quiet. However the service was really disappointing. We had ordered some pizzas to be shared, as well as a few individual dishes. Sad part was that we even after we had finished the pizzas, our friend's dish was still not served even after checking with the waitress a few times.

If not for the service, we would have given this restaurant a thumbs up!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had Xmas Eve dinner here. My wife and I shared an appetizer and a salad. The appetizer was bruschette -- two big slices of lightly toasted bread with feta cheese and sun-dried tomato. Very tasty. The insalata mista was generous in size and we dressed it ourselves with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. I had Spaghettie ala Marc (my name is Marc, so how could I resist). This was excellent -- perfectly cooked pasta with anchovies, basil, capers, black olives and dried chili flakes. Robust and delicious. One complaint: a restaurant of this quality really shouldn't be giving customers that dried grated parmesan that Kraft sells in green cardboard tubes. Real parmesan is available in Thailand, and Pum Pui should be using it.

My wife had tenderloiin which she though was good, but not brilliant. "The star of the show" according to her were the potatoes, and the steamed veggies were quite good as well.

Most tables are outside and it was a very pleasant space. Service was also pleasant and efficient.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The best Italian and the absolute best pizza in Chiangmai for sure! Authentic Italian pizza, thin crust, good amount of topping! I highly recommend this place! Apart from the pizza the menu has a large selection, I have had the ossobuco which was fabulous and their tiramisu also does not disappoint. Compared to other Italian restaurants the prices are below average for an above average meal.
The setting is also lovely.

1  Thank JuliaRNN