“Food was overpriced and owner rude”
Review of Jerusalem Falafel - CLOSED

Jerusalem Falafel
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Xi'an, China
“Food was overpriced and owner rude”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My friends and I managed to visit Jerusalem Falafel / The Olive Tree when it was mostly empty. We were quite a large group (12 of us) but hoped to be seated in maybe two groups of six - guys and girls. You would have thought we'd asked for other patrons to be reseated to accommodate us (there were several tables large enough for us available). When we tried to scoot tables together ourselves, she began yelling at us. We are not a rowdy bunch and felt very uncomfortable after the ordeal.
We were finally seated, had menus and ordered. The food was not bad but not that great either. There are plenty of restaurants in Chiang Mai that are much better. It was quite expensive for Thailand as well - at least for what you get.
My suggestion would be to skip this restaurant unless you have no Middle Eastern restaurants near your home and are simply craving it.

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Ahhhhh, refreshing food.”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

NOTE:This restaurant is now called "The Olive Tree" It's also down the street from the old location. I hope the owner can get the info updated soon.

So I read some reviews of this restaurant and I found it odd that some people love the owner and others are "put off" by her. Once you visit this place you'll understand. She was really sweet to us and she hung out by our table after dinner to chat a little. Her sense of humor is a little dry and very sarcastic so some people might not understand and likely it escalates from there.

When I first entered my daughter was on my shoulders and she knocked her head on one of the beautiful lanterns hanging from the ceiling. I pulled her off my shoulders and asked if she was ok. The owner said "nevermind she's ok how about my light." At first I thought she was serious then I realized she was joking and we had a good laugh.

Ok, so for the food. We enjoyed the Avocado Chicken Salad, CousCous (sp?), and my kids had a beef hummus with pita. We also had the pickles and olives. My salad was massive and the chicken was well flavored and soft. I must have had at least two WHOLE avocados in my salad it was awesome. My wife had the couscous and she enjoyed it although she said it would be nicer without so many Green Onions. The kids loved the hummus. We ate with some friends who seemed to try a little of everything. They enjoyed it all.

Others have claimed this is authentic or it is bland. I don't know what authentic tastes like really so I can't compare but it definitely wasn't bland. Everything was fresh and tasty. We'll be visiting again when in Chiang Mai.

One last thing. This place doesn't have ANY of the "typical" western food dishes on the menu. No Pizza, No Hamburgers nothing. I like that. She does one thing and she does it well.

Thank you Olive Tree for a Nice meal and also the kids little play area was helpful.

We'll be back.

“Excellent”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Me and my girlfriend loved it here. Yea the owner did seem a bit miserable walking round with a face like a slapped bum, but the food was top notch. Didn't get excellent as little bit pricey as far as thailand goes but we thought it was very nice.

Paphos, Cyprus
“No way to run a restaurant”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Given the publicity, we decided to try out "The Olive Tree" (just south of the Thapae Gate) for lunch. This is the new venture from the owner of Jerusalem Falafel, which is now closed.

The place has been quite nicely fitted out in a faux "Middle Eastern" style, with well spaced tables, proper napkins and a nicely designed menu. Prices I thought "full" and unusually for a place like this, a 10% Service Charge was not included in the menu price, a scam I personally dislike. Whether deliberately or by omission, we were not charged this and I would have asked "what service?"

The owner was very keen to push the "Moroccan Fish" and "Spinach Soup", but I was keen to try the "Lamb Tagine" stated to be one of their specialities. "We don't have that," came the reply. "We may have it next week". They had been closed the previous two days, so surely had not sold out. On further enquiry, an awful lot seemed to be "off", so in desperation, we both opted for the fish. This came so quickly, it was either warming in the oven or was fresh from the microwave. It came with a modest portion of yellow rice with a few lentils scattered in it; the menu stated that all mains came with two side dishes, so I assume the lentils counted as a second side dish......?? (Half way through the meal we were offered bread, but as this would probably have been charged for, we declined.)

The fish (Tilapia) had not been filleted and was full of bones. Given that the fish was presented in a dish with no plate, removing the bones was a tricky business. The fish was flavourless and was swimming in a thin, watery sauce, with an unidentified bit of soggy greenery (Spinach? Mint?) in it and one small piece of soggy pepper) all that for B250 plus service. A diner on another table came to look at our fish, but was clearly not impressed - we did not recommend it to them - and left after their salad starter.

Service was pretty much non existent - the owners and the kitchen staff were too busy eating on a nearby table - and our dishes were not cleared by the time we left. Needless to say, we will not be returning and I could not recommend as a "Dining Out" destination. For Middle Eastern food, the Sheikh Istana hotel is much to be preferred.

This place will doubtless get by on tourist traffic, but local ex-pats should probably avoid.

Bangkok, Thailand
“I want to like this place...”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I really want to like this place but... Have been there a few times, but the owner put me off. Also my husband got sick from the foodthe last time, so have never gone back. I love Middle Eastern food, but don't think will be going back here. The owner seems to have "on" and "off" days. When she's "on" now worries, but when she's "off" what out, it's like she's on a war path and pity you if you say something that sets her off.

Visited February 2012