“Food fine... service shabby”

Art Cafe (ThaPhae Gate)
Ranked #1,109 of 2,231 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This restaurant is well placed for tourists in the city. It's air-conditioned, the menu is good, the seating is comfortable and the food is just fine. It's now a year since I've eaten there... I stopped going back. There was one thing letting it down badly... the service. I do hope that situation has changed because this is a nice little restaurant that deserves to attract plenty of repeat business.

One thing that confused me; with a name like "Art Café", I was expecting the walls to be filed with artworks. Maybe they're hidden upstairs?

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This place became a bit of a safe haven for my boyfriend and I during the few weeks we visited Chiang Mai. It's easy to find, nearby the Night Bazaar and Starbucks, with lovely indoor and outdoor seating. The interior has AC, which is something of a blessing compared to the stifling heat outside. Their menu is extensive and everything I ordered was absolutely delicious (I recommend anything with avocado, as well as the eggs benedict for breakfast! The taco salad was great, too, as is the bruschetta). The prices are reasonable for the quality of the food.

I didn't think that the service was THAT slow (though as a rule, I've come to expect slower service in Asia); perhaps my boyfriend and I were too busy enjoying ourselves to notice, or perhaps we were lucky enough to have a quick server. Regardless, it always helps to have a bit of patience. If you're looking for a super quick meal, I'd suggest some of the street stalls instead.

They take credit/debit cards, which is a plus. I'd definitely recommend this place; I know I'll be stopping by if/when I'm back in Chiang Mai.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We lived in Chiang Mai for 3 months and visited Art Cafe every week because the food is good and the prices are not bad. However, this has the absolute WORST service of any restaurant in Chiang Mai. The waitresses actively avoid your table after taking your order. You cannot "flag them down" for refills, additional orders, or to get your bill. They find places to stand around corners or literally stand in front of the window or door and stare outside.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

First the good news, the food. I had a baguette with ham, cheese and egg. It came with the smallest portion of fries I had ever seen. My Wife had eggs benedict. Both of us thought the food was really good. The coconuts juice we had was delicious as well. But. Where is the Art in the Art Cafe? And, the floor layout is terrible like some hideous British cafe in the sixties. A fridge and an unused chiller cabinet seem to take centre stage, the chiller is displaying some very dull teapots a complete waste as this place serves some very good desserts, why not show them off? This place does good food but this place must be seen as a wasted opportunity, it's a big lace in one of the best parts of Chiang Mai.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Keep wanting to like this restaurant. Great location, great ambience, great food selection. The actual food that I have had either for breakfast or lunch has been delicious. Cannot understand the slow service. Ordered a sandwich and a beer....got the beer in 2 minutes....the sandwich came almost 30 min later. Not exactly ordering a difficult sandwich either.....almost forgot that I had ordered a meal it took so long. With quicker service this place could be fantastic.