“Fun and hilarious cooking experience!”

Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are the First and Best cookery school in Chiang Mai. Owned and operated by "Master Chef" Sompon Nabnian... you will unlock the secrets of traditional Thai-style cooking. Have you ever wondered why Thai food tastes so different from restaurant to restaurant? The ingredients are the same, so it should taste the same, you would think...not at all! The best Thai food comes from using the freshest ingredients, along with the skilful art of preparation and combining the right ingredients at the right time to create an exceptional dish.Our school offers five fine mouth-watering courses for you to choose from (vegetarian options are available for all dishes in all courses):There is simply no better place to learn about the joys of Thai cooking!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun and hilarious cooking experience!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We arrived on 21st April to Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School for a 1 day beginner cooking course to learn to cook 5 dishes including making your own curry paste, pad thai, soup and dessert.

Our instructor was Chef Embee and she was a bomb! She guided us throughout the trip to the market and to the kitchen in prepping and cooking. Her classes were constantly with her laughters and her hilarious shouting of commands. She made cooking more than just cooking food, it's truly a fun experience trying to become expert in making Thai food.

One suggestion I would like to give is to include some options for students to pick to choose to cook authentic Northern Thai dishes (Ee San food) as some people might come Chiang Mai instead of Bangkok etc to

2 Thank hdtee07

• Thai first
Darwin, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Master Class No.5”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Understand that this was a master class so some culinary skills are expected to be had by the students. We chose this one because it had Norhern Thai dishes. It was a hectic day of prep, curry pastes and cooking. The chef knew what was going on but at times I felt a bit lost as it is was very heavy in multitasking. you prepare and cook all 5 dishes before eating. It was hot, sweaty work. The beginners class looked so easier and much fun, they had a demo in a/c before each dish, then made they dish and ate that dish before moving on to the next.
By the end of the masters class we were to tired and sweaty to enjoy our creations to the fullest but I wasnt interested in making spring rolls or fish cakes or basic stir frys. Only 5 people in our class so chef freely answered questions. Overall a great experience in northern Thai cooking, a step or 2 above basic cookery is needed. Be prepared to sweat. 3000 baht per person.

1 Thank Gandalf1982
Singapore
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Not Bad, A Fun Evening”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Understand: I think reviews are inflated. 3 in my book is a solid good.

As well, the Chef and staff were all great. Really polite, friendly and happy to answer questions. So good job guys, gals and chef.

About me: Hobbyist cook, have done 2 Thai cooking classes in the past in country.

Class: Wife and I did an evening master class. 5 students total in the class.

Liked:
- Tidy school
- Clean
- Transport was smooth and punctual
- Staff and chef

Disliked:
- No menu overview was given at the start of class. We were put with another group. Not sure if the chef knew this, but we were totally in the dark about what was going on and the menu plan for the evening.

- No overview or background of the specific dishes was given. Maybe this preference comes from years of schooling, but I want to learn some of the background, theory and technique of a dish (so I can apply it to other things), not just make it.

- Our menu was not Northern Thai. This is a tricky one to cast blame for, but my frustration is that the whole time dealing with the sales agent and the school my only criteria was to learn something northern thai at the least. I did not want to learn how to make jungle curry or stir fried asparagus in oyster sauce (essentially a Chinese dish). I think this mis-communication happened because of the Thai tendency to not want to say 'no'. However I wish someone at some point just worked up the courage to be honest and say this is what you'll be cooking, instead of leaving me to be disappointed once I was already paid and there.

(Tip: you can avoid this by doing a private. Planning well in advance or just contacting the school directly. I think it was the sales persons fault mostly.)

Be aware:
- It's going to be hot (obviously).
- Bring some bug spray (obvious again in Norther

Conclusion:

If you're new to Thai cooking you'll have a good time and learn something. If you're a keen amateur or above, be very specific about what you want to learn. For me, I would have been better of arranging a private class, or using my $200 bucks to borrow my hotels kitchen for a couple hours and employing an old Thai lady to teach me some local dishes and tricks.

I guess for the price I'm a bit sad I left not having learned anything about Northern Thai food.

Again, all the staff were nice and I still had fun, just not what I wanted. I could have spent the money better.

3 Thank stoneman60
Tokyo, Japan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“If you love learning to cook, don't miss this!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Pon is awesome! His classes were really fun, and as someone who can't cook, he really helped me by making sure I didn't mess up any dishes while keeping a control of the rest of the class. It's so well organized that its basically fool proof. You also get a lot for your money, we learned 6 dishes including dessert in the 4 hours of cooking we did (not including pick up and transport).

Also, this was the only company in Thailand that answered my emails in a quick and efficient manner. I will definitely be going back soon!

2 Thank Erin M
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Enthusiastic teacher, delicious food, engaging experience!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We had an awesome time! We went shopping in the market first and Pon, our chef and guide took us around and taught us about different ingredients and how to choose and use them. It was great to have someone explain lots of those odd things we don't have in the US. We headed to the school and throughout the day learned 6 dishes. Pon showed us how to make them first (and taste them) and we each had our own station and got to recreate the dish. Great value and memorable experience. We got a cookbook with everything we made and more. You get to eat everything you make so don't have a big breakfast! We didn't even eat dinner that night. I would do another class if we were in town longer.

1 Thank Daniamania