“Beautiful boutique hotel”

U Chiang Mai
Ranked #12 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
“Beautiful boutique hotel”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

The room was wonderful and very different to the other hotels I stayed in while in Thailand. Perhaps not as large as some of the others but definitely had it's own individual charm. Would highly recommend the U you anyone planning to go to Chaing Mai

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Pros: Good Location with easy access to transport & walking distance to the temples and restaurants. The Sunday walking market is at your doorstep. Staff are generally friendly and helpful. Bed was comfortable to sleep in. The breakfast spread was decent. Loved the 90 mins Royal thai massage

Cons: On arrival no one helped with luggage until after check in. The room was not ready despite prior notice of arrival time. The sofa was stained and there were light bulbs not working. The staff did however address these issues immediately after we complained. One day the air conditioning in the breakfast room wasn’t working & they provided 2 fans which were tucked away & hardly provided any relief from the heat or stuffiness. Could have done better. Expect a lot of mosquitos in the hotel and around the old city.

Room Tip: Request for the deluxe room with the private pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dragonfli3
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Dragonfli3

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all comments as they are vital in allowing us to maintain our reputation for high standards and attend to any issues experienced by our guests.
I must offer my genuine apologies that you left us with “mixed feelings” after enjoying so many aspects of your stay and would like to address the points you raised.
The lack of attention from my staff upon your check-in is certainly not what I expect from my team considering our reputation for high service standards. I have spoken to the department heads concerned regarding both this, why your room was not ready upon arrival and the issues with your accommodation. I am delighted we managed to attend to things in the shortest possible time and am extremely sorry that you were inconvenienced.
I must offer my further apologies over your discomfort during breakfast due to a problem at that particular time with the air conditioning. I am pleased to inform you that this matter has now been rectified.
As I have mentioned in previous reviews it is ultimately my responsibility to ensure the complete satisfaction of our guests therefore if there are any further points you would like to make me aware of that might benefit from my attention I would greatly appreciate it.
My email address is gm@uchiangmai.com
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
May I end by saying that I hope you have the chance to visit us again when you can witness firsthand the improvements we have made regarding your invaluable comments.

Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 31, 2014

A quaint hotel. Rooms are well proportioned and well kept. You do not have a great view as the hotel is nestled into the neighboring buildings but it has location. The Sunday market is right in front of the hotel, going for blocks in each direction, easy to hunt for trophies. Good food is available less then 100 m from the hotel front door. Hotel breakfast is very good, we never ate lunch nor dinner, hey its Thailand and everywhere you find great, cheap, tasty food. The hotel staff are very friendly and happy to answer questions or help you out. We borrowed the free bikes and enjoyed riding the city, the brakes wear soft but you don't get up much speed while sightseeing in the heat :-) The spa was worthwhile, relaxing a real Thai "pretzel"

Room Tip: fourth floor, 2 rooms, very quiet, more skylight views. Note: no elevators!
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The best thing about U is the location, right in the centre of the old city. The hotel itself seems a bit confused in it's marketing. Described (and priced) as a boutigue hotel, it has little of the charm or individuality that we were looking for when we made our choice. Airport pickup and check-in was efficient, our ground floor room was a little noisy, soundproofing isn't great. The room had a large welcoming party of mosquitoes, a quick word with reception had housekeeping come and spray the room. Mosquitoes are a significant issue in Chiang Mai generally so I was a bit disappointed that this hadn't hadn't been done before we arrived. Breakfast was OK (we had included this in our booking), we ate dinner in the restaurant once, it was fairly average and there were better (and cheaper) options all around. The staff were polite but lacked personality and we didn't see or meet any of the senior management during a five night stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear DW882741

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

May I start by thanking you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and offer my most heartfelt apologies that your stay did not meet your expectations.

As General Manager it is my responsibility to ensure our guests are completely satisfied therefore I read each and every Trip Advisor review concerning U Chiang Mai to glean as much information as I can as to ways in which we can improve on our guests’ experience.

I must apologise and admit to some confusion that you chose to award us an overall “poor “ score given the points you marked us at the bottom of your review as generally a poor score indicates some major issues encountered by a guest which were not obvious in your review. However I fully respect your opinion and would like to address the points you raised.
I am sorry that you were under the impression that we are “confused” in marketing ourselves as a boutique hotel as we fully fall into the definition of one. I also regret that you thought us to be lacking in “charm and individuality” as being located in the historically-listed residence of the ex- Governor of Chiang Mai makes us truly unique in the city. The vast majority of our guests comment on how nice the property is and it is unfortunate that you did not share their views. If I may politely point out that our prices are commensurate with our immediate competitors, who do not offer the added benefits that U Chiang Mai does such as 24 hour use of room and breakfast whenever/wherever at any time of day within the hotel.

Regarding your other comments as mentioned I am always looking at ways in which we can improve matters for our guests. Therefore if you could kindly find the time to contact me directly via gm@unchiangmai.com with some specific observations regarding the food I will pass on your comments to my Executive Chef. Furthermore if you could also kindly inform me in which areas you felt the staff “lacked personality” I will look into it as I’m sure you would agree the overwhelming view of our guests on Trip Advisor praises the staffs’ attitude.

I would like to end by apologizing that you did not meet me during your stay as I am always on hand to greet our guests and handle any issues they may have personally and it is unfortunate our paths did not cross for some reason.
I hope that should you ever return to Chiang Mai you find accommodation that is more in keeping with your requirements and have a wonderful time.

UK/Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Good location, friendly staff, great 24 hour breakfast. We stayed for five nights, the first night on the ground floor with zero privacy on our balcony. It was in full view of the reception area and didn't even lead into the pool. We asked to move rooms the day after our arrival and we were offered either a third floor room or a ground floor room leading into the pool but with a view of a black wall about four feet in front of it. We took the third floor room.
The rooms are very dark and cave-like. The beds are comfortable.
We were forced to leave the hotel for one afternoon as they fogged for mosquitos.
A few annoying points that are out of the hotel's control...
There is construction next door so we were subjected to the noise of very loud drilling on several occasions. Also, there is a bar over the road with amateur live bands every evening. The horrid music reverberated throughout the hotel, especially on one night when it could be heard even inside our room with the doors closed and the a/c running. Thankfully, it stops when the bar closes around midnight.
For those reasons, I wouldn't return to this hotel.

1 Thank DavePatti
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear DavePatti

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

I would like to begin by thanking you for sharing your experiences of your stay with your fellow Trip Advisor readers.
Despite the aspects of your time with us that you enjoyed I must offer my most heartfelt apologies that certain areas which, as you mentioned, were beyond our control made you decide not to stay with us again.
As naturally both myself and my team would dearly like you to reconsider your decision I have spoken to the owner of the property next door regarding the construction and he informed me that work will be completed by the end of this month and as of this moment the builders have already moved inside to work on the interior of the building, thus cutting down on the disturbance.
I deeply regret that your sleep was disturbed by the bar across the road as we have not received any similar complaints of this nature. Nevertheless I will be speaking to the manager of the bar in question regarding ways we can minimize this apparent issue.
I was delighted that we could provide you with an alternative room as the first was not to your liking but, once again, would like to apologize that we could only offer you a choice of two alternatives due to our current occupancy levels. I am also sorry that your stay coincided with our regular pest control programme but would like to reassure you that this is an extremely infrequent event.
May I end by saying that we truly enjoyed the pleasure of your company and would be honoured if you would give us a further opportunity to be of service to you should you ever return to Chiang Mai.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Good points - very central location, easy access to Saturday market (about 10mins walk) and Sunday market literally right outside the front of the hotel. Breakfast was good with several choices of cooked options and decent buffet spread. Had dinner in the restaurant, good tasty food. Didn't find it noisy and despite the wooden staircase, wasn't disturbed by any heavy footfalls. Free daily fruit basket and 2 bottles of water.

Not So Good points - expensive for what you get, small room, nothing really special about the whole establishment. For the same amount, you can get a much nicer hotel outside the old city or look at it another way, for the same type of hotel inside you can get it much cheaper. Electricity kept getting cut off in the middle of the night, have to get up to manually switch on the air-cond. Shower went from hot to cold and back and forth on its own, hard to adjust the right temperature. Dark staircase, right out of a horror movie type - a bit eerie.

Friendly staff except the day I checked out early in the morning...I guess he's not a morning person.

Hurrah for the choice of soap and soft pillows/mattresses etc...they even give you nice satin slippers, holy cow, this must be the best ever!

Weirdest thing in Chiang Mai - mozzies everywhere not just in the hotel.

Room Tip: Lower floors may not have much privacy but some may like it with their balcony opening up to the poo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank tyng800
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear tyng800

Greetings from U Chiang Mai.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate all comments as they allow me to not only see where we are meeting our guests’ satisfaction in terms of comfort, service and facilities but equally importantly ways in which we can improve on their experience.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed the luxury amenities we provide in our rooms but must offer my sincere apologies that your time with us did not match that of the vast majority of our guests and you considered us to be “way overrated on Trip Advisor.” As it is my duty as General Manager to ensure our guests are satisfied I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments.
I deeply regret that you thought us to be “expensive for what you get” as we do offer added benefits that as far as I am aware are not available with our competitor hotels, such as 24 hour use of room which means you can check-out at exactly the same time of day as you checked in rather than at midday as is usual in most hotels, breakfast which can be taken anywhere and at any time you desire within U Chiang Mai, your choice of welcome drink from any beverage in your room’s minibar plus local telephone calls at cost price.
If I may also politely point out that the size of our rooms are commensurate with our immediate competitors in Chiang Mai and in some cases larger.
I was extremely concerned to learn about the issues you encountered with your air conditioning and shower as we have no record of these being mentioned during your period of stay, when we would have immediately attended to the problem or found you another room. I must offer my further apologies regarding the attitude expressed by my member of staff during your check-out therefore if you could kindly find the time to contact me via gm@uchiangmai.com with the details of your experience I will investigate matters.
May I end by saying that I hope should you ever return to Chiang Mai you find a hotel that is more in keeping with your requirements as my only wish is for you to have a wonderful stay in the beautiful Lanna Kingdom.

Best Regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Situated bang in the centre of the old city. Step out the front door and there is a large selection of eating places. On a Sunday the streets outside are closed to traffic for the famous market. The hotel although comfortable, clean and with adequate food describes itself as a boutique hotel. Well, if a dark tiled bathroom and darkly decorated bedroom make it boutique then it probably is. Service is good although reception staff seem a little too laid back and at times quite disinterested. Restaurant staff are very attentive and helpful as are the domestic team. The free guided cycle and jogging tours are well worth it although both start at 0600 hrs ! The local guides are very knowledgable and will take you places you probably wouldn't have found on your own. A great hour well spent. Not a bad place to stay but I would suggest only booking in for one night and then having a look around the area at the many alternatives on offer. If swimming or sunbathing is your thing, I would look elsewhere.