“A great experience”
Review of U Chiang Mai

U Chiang Mai
Ranked #12 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The only thing that is less than stellar about this hotel is that the wifi kept requiring us to login. Other than that it was the best, most amazing experience. It is a lovely boutique ish hotel in the old city of chiang mai- which to us was a little similar to NYCs Greenwich village.

My fiancé and I came to the conclusion that the staff was comprised of the nicest, most amiable people we had ever met. They were ALWAYS smiling, asking about our day, amenable to our requests etc.

We were there for 5 days and had a nice complementary bfast each morning. The day we left , our flight was before the restaurant opened, but they had two "breakfast boxes" waiting for us at 530am to take to the airport- what a nice gesture.

We cannot say enough about the location. A cute quirky and artsy neighborhood in the old city close to amazing restaurants, cafes, temples, night street bazaars and wine bars. Alot of expats frequent the area, mixing in with the local crowd , giving the whole area a very close knit, village-y feel.

We are now in Bangkok and miss chiang mai terribly. Hopefully another stay at u chiang mai is in the near future!!

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very simply the hotel is great, the staff are friendly, and our room was clean and functional. The 'breakfast any time' policy is a brilliant idea and the food was excellent. I didn't use the pool myself but it looked inviting and it certainly provided an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of the outside world for those that wanted it. Although there are 3 floors there is no lift so if you struggle with stairs make sure you ask for a ground floor room. It is situated in a great location, especially on a Sunday night when the market runs all the way down the street immediately in front of the hotel. It is in very close proximity to several beautiful temples and I certainly felt perfectly safe wandering around the area on my own. Chiang Mai is a relatively small and therefore it's easy to see lots of it either on foot or using the cheap and cheerful Tuk Tuk's which are always in plentiful supply just outside (but make sure you agree prices before you start your journey). I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it as a base for exploring the city.

Room Tip: Those with mobility issues need to request a ground floor room as there are no lifts!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I feel that this hotel needs a more objective review, so I will try my best to do just that.
Location - Very good. Just outside its' doors there are very beautiful temples, the night bazaar, convenience stores, laundy service, inexpensive spas, restaurants, little shops, etc... However, Chiangmai City is such a small place. Therefore, other hotels are either just a short walk or tuk tuk ride away.
Price - I feel that although they are reasonably priced, you will discover through research that there are many other hotels with better standards that are priced resonably as well. U Chiang Mai claims to be a 4 star hotel, but there are 5 star hotels (and boutique hotels), that charge the same price. Hotels in Chiangmai are not as expensive as Bangkok or Phuket, so staying in a 5 star hotel here is quite affordable.
Service- Although this small hotel is almost always fully booked, service was still good. Prior to arriving from Phuket, I wrote them to request for a room on the first floor because of my husband's back problem. They did accommodate my request. However, the room they gave me had a bathroom that had a bad smell coming from the drain. I asked to be transferred, but there was no other room available on the first floor. So I had no other choice but to transfer to another hotel the next day. Unfortunately, U Chiang Mai had to charge me an additional night because they claim this was their hotel policy.
Rooms - All rooms had balconies facing the pool or garden area. The beds were very comfortable. However, the rooms are dark and so are the bathrooms, which I also feel should be rennovated. If the drains in our bathroom had a bad smell, then I feel they should not give that particular room to any of their guests. Unfortunately, we were assigned that room and I felt no effort was really made to make up for this.
Facilities - The pool looked better in photos. It's not as big as I thought it would be, so there were always a lot of people using it. The breakfast room was okay. Breakfast anywhere / anytime policy was a nice touch.
We were supposed to stay at this hotel for 5 days. But as I mentioned, we decided to transfer to another hotel. I felt it was a good decision because the hotel we transferred to was just so much better and cheaper too. U Chiang Mai is not that bad, but I must tell you that for the price they charge, you will definitely be able to find another hotel in Chiangmai with much better standards. Even the Shangri-La Hotel, Dusit D2 Hotel and the very new Sala Lanna Hotel charge less. You might want to consider other options for the same price range.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LeahManila
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear LeahManila
Greetings from U Chiang Mai.
I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review of U Chiang Mai on Trip Advisor as your invaluable comments assist us in maintaining our high standards of service and comfort and allow us to rectify any problems as they occur.
It was a delight to read that you enjoyed the service you received and that our location, bed comfort and “whenever/wherever” breakfast policy and it is a pity you chose to leave us early.
Regarding this may I sincerely apologize for the aspects of your stay that led you to consider us to be not as you expected.
Our engineers are trying to locate the source of the bad smell in your bathroom but may I politely point out that, contrary to your claim that no real effort was made to make up for this, you were offered a change of room for the next day when one became available for the remainder of your stay. It is regrettable that for some reason you chose not to take us up on this and felt that you had “no other choice” but to change hotels. At U Chiang Mai the satisfaction of our valued guests is of the utmost importance and we attempt to please everyone to the very best of our ability. I would like to add that the policy of charging for one night’s stay due to early check-out is not unique to U Chiang Mai but is commonplace in an extremely large number of hotels worldwide. This is due to the fact that as we reserved a room for you in good faith we have had to turn other potential guests away who wished to stay with us and we would have no chance to re-sell your room on such short notice.
If I may make the further observation that, of the three hotels you mentioned that were supposedly cheaper than us, after a check online on the respective hotels’ own booking engines it shows that only one of them is in fact cheaper than U Chiang Mai
May I end by saying that it was a pleasure to serve you and we would dearly love to have enjoyed the pleasure of you company for a longer period. I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Chiang Mai and you have a chance to visit our beautiful city again soon.
Best Regards,
Itthipon Meesawat

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in March 2013. We had a deluxe room which had a swimming pool that was shared only with the room next door. The hotel is fairly small however although it was busy did not appear crowded. There was another pool which had sun beds but we did not use this due to having a pool for our room.

The hotel is located within the old town, opposite Wat Chedi Luang and within walking distance to other popular temples. On a Sunday there is a walking street right outside which is a massive market that gets quite busy, however there is lots of street food to choose from and the market is worth a look.

The hotel has a small Gym which is adequate for the size of the accommodation. You can also use the hotel cycles to get around. The rooms are nicely decorated and spotless. When making the reservation you make a choice about the scent of the soap and type of tea, and type of music you want in you room.

Breakfast was included in the rate and was excellent with lots of choice and plenty of fresh fruit. The western al a carte options were brilliantly cooked. Staff were very helpful and service was always good.

As we were arriving in Chiang Mai late in the evening we decided to get the hotel to collect us from the airport, this cost 600THB, more expensive than a local taxi but was really worth it when arriving late and tired.

Excellent hotel and would certainly stay there when I next visit Chiang Mai

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah1303
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This boutique hotel sits right in the middle of Chiang Mai's old town with easy transportation available. It is within walking distance of almost any place of interest within Chiang Mai. The Sunday Night Market takes place right out the front and up and down the street for several blocks. The rooms are well appointed and the staff is most courteous, professional and well trained. The restaurant has a wonderful breakfast and we had a couple of other meals and each time it was excellent. Highly recommended - you won't go wrong.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skipper1967vet
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at U Chiang Mai for the second half of our 3 week trip to Thailand and were there for 8 nights. The staff were fantastic, the location also brilliant and the rooms and grounds were a nice little haven in the old city. It's location made it easy to explore the old city as it's in the centre and so you can walk to the temples and it was only a ten minute walk to the river and surrounding moat. The sunday walking street markets are fantastic and being in the middle of them it was easy to go home for a rest from the crowds. Lots of restaurants and local shops, massage etc to choose from too. The room we had was a private pool access room which was great but all rooms are close to the pool. The room was big and showers, bed etc were all excellent. The staff were always friendly and helpful and booked all of our tours with no hassles. The breakfasts were all excellent and we ate dinner one night which was delicious. No complaints at all, I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here after reading excellent reviews and was rather disappointed. Room was anything but spacious - room for bed, narrow gap each side for bedsides and at end of bed, tv on cabinet, one (fairly uncomfortable) chair and table. Bathroom was dark and smelt musty. Both bedside and room lights only controlled from one side of bed. Outside patio was directly opposite pool chairs, so not very private or quiet. It had a stylish but uncomfortable day bed as only seating. There were also lots of unnecessary steps everywhere to get to the room, so stay away if you have mobility issues.
On the good side, the staff were charming and friendly, the room was spotlessly clean and the breakfast was excellent. Also the location was great - right in the middle of the Old City with the Sunday markets on the street outside and within easy walking distance of plenty of restaurants, a convenience store and thai massage places.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Itthipon, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear milo52

Greetings from U Chiang Mai

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay in our hotel. Your comments are invaluable in ensuring that we provide the best standards and service for our valued guests and rectify any problems that may arise.
It was a pleasure to read your positive comments regarding the staff, breakfast and our location. We genuinely appreciate your praise regarding these areas of your stay.
I was concerned to learn that some aspects of your visit left you disappointed and would like to offer my sincere apologies over these.
I regret that you considered your room to be “anything but spacious” as our rooms are 33 sqm and 43 sqm respectively for our Superior and Deluxe categories and in many cases are larger than our immediate competitors. I will instruct my Engineering Manager to inspect all bathrooms for signs of a musty aroma as we have not received any other comments over this. Thank you for informing me about this matter.
I am sorry that some aspects of the design of the hotel and its fixtures and fittings were not to your liking as the feedback we receive is overwhelmingly positive regarding the unique style of U Chiang Mai.
I would like to end by saying that we were delighted to serve you as our honoured guest and sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Chiang Mai.

With Best Regards,