“Fantastic”

Ranked #12 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This hotel was great the key things you need to know are it is inside the old town, and is an easy enjoyable safe walk to the more busy areas. On Sundays the main street outside the hotel becomes a massive market and it's fantastic. The hotel staff are so friendly, the breakfasts are brilliant, the rooms are excellent, I'd definitely stay here again if I was back in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tom N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Blackpool
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The 'U' was our last hotel during a 2 week trip to Thailand. Compared to the hotels in Bangkok and Koh Samui this was a bit of a let down. During our whole trip my husband and I encountered so many hospitable and friendly Thai residnets that we were quite shocked by the cold attitude of the staff at this hotel. The staff go out of their way not to make eye contact with you and there are no friendly 'Sawadi Ka' greetings at all.
I could not fault the cleanliness of the room but the corridors are dark and any noise echoes throughout. Many a time we were woken by staff clomping down the halls in their heavy footwear, talking loudly down their walkie-talkies.
Our room was nicely decorated but very dark, and seemed very cramped. We were on the ground floor over-looking the sun-loungers so felt we had to shut the curtains to put the lights on else everyone around the loungers would see straight into our room. The bathroom was nice, modern and clean but contained the only mirror in the hotel room.
The hoel advertises an 'eat-anywhere' breakfast policy, but the room was that tiny with only one small table and one small chair, I stuggle to imagine where else you could eat your breakfast other than the restaurant!
The location is good, with all the main attractions being only a short distance away.
Our main disappointment was on check-out. We had pre-arranged a taxi with reception for 8:30am for our 10 am flight (timings given on advice by reception). We packed our things up and went to breakfast at 7:30. Our cooked breakfast did not arrive until 8:05. We rushed it down and got to reception for 8:25. I enquired about our taxi and the receptioist said it was on its way. After several enquiries the taxi had still not arrived by 8:50, by which time I was starting to panic. The taxi came just after 9am, the lady at reception muttered something to him in Thai and he drove at break-neck speed to the airport, at one point reaching 100kph, honestly, I was so scared. To top it all off the taxi ripped us off for an extra 100bht more than the price agreed with reception, but we had no time to argue!
I realise I sound as though I am nit-picking but I just want people to be aware that it isn't as good as people make out. It is very clean and in a good location but please don't expect the wonderful Thai hospitality and value that you could find elsewhwere.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up room to avoid your privacy being compromised.
2 Thank Silverspotty
Satchaphan P, General Manager at U Chiang Mai, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,

We always do our very best to delight our guests in every possible way and I'm disappointed that we weren't able to do so on your recent visit and am truly sorry that our room did not meet your preferences.

The room you stayed in has the feature which allows you easy access to our pool and may not be too comfortable in regards to the privacy which some guests expect to have. I believe we could have offered an alternative room that did provide the privacy you were perhaps looking for.

It concerns and surprises me somewhat that you felt our staff were not friendly and had a cold attitude as we have never received a comment like this before and quite to the contrary however I will see to it that our staff learn to interact more amicably with our guests.

I will also address the noise issue with our Housekeeping team while they go around to service the rooms.

I am very disturbed to hear about the extra charge from the taxi driver and the late pick up. This is totally unacceptable and would only tarnish the tourism industry of Chiang Mai if it is allowed to continue.

We will definitely look into this and ensure that this particular taxi will not get called to the U Chiang Mai again.

For your information, this service is arranged with a public taxi company upon request from the guest as we do not have our own hotel limousine service.

Please accept my sincere apologies that your overall experience did not meet with your expectations.

With kind regards,

Satchaphan Phakdeesiri
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We spent 3 nights at the U Chiang Mai Hotel. The hotel is ideally located with all the major temples that are a must-see in Chiang Mai, within walking distance. From the entrance, the attention to detail is evident. As we stepped through the front door, we were immersed in the tranquility that is exuded.

The reception and guest facilities are located in what was the former residence of Chiang Mai's governor. The decor is tasteful whilst integrating both modern and traditional aspects of Thai heritage. One of the unique offerings of this hotel is the 24 hour use of the rooms (i.e. the check-out time is 24 hours after check-in time).

From the reception, we walked past the black infinity pool to our room, which was on the 3rd floor. We were delighted to note that the attention to detail was consistent throughout the hotel. Upon entering the room, we were left speechless, the decor is amazing- luxurious and indulgent. There was the usual complimentary bottles of water, toiletries (have a choice of soap - I was delighted with my choice of the Jasmine soap!), tea-coffee making facilities (the only hotel where they provide milk in the fridge for tea or coffee!!) and also a varied selection of teas, different fruit left in the room daily, luxurious dressing gowns and slippers, proper hairdryer, LCD TV, iPod with pre-loaded selection of music and a selection of board games (chess, checkers, backgammon). We also got to choose any two drinks from the mini-bar which was complimentary. There was free wi-fi available, and there were 2 computers available in the reading room that could be used any time. The balcony had a day bed and a fan, and the view overlooked the 700-year old Pagoda of Wat Chedi Luang. Every evening the rooms get prepped for the night, the beds get turned, the iPod is set on the relaxing playlist and towels/water etc all replaced.

The stay included breakfast which could be ordered at any time of the day, anywhere in the hotel, though the buffet was only available 6.30am-11.00am in the restaurant. The variety available was amazing, the best we have had (2-3 juices, selection of cereals, fruit, salads and cold meats, breads and cakes, yoghurt, hot items and drinks). The hot items were ordered from a list provided but they were happy to accommodate any request, the list was just for a guide! The restaurant is not huge, but comfortably accommodates all, one side is a glass wall that overlooks the street which was great to people watch as the locals went about their lives, whilst we had breakfast.
We had lunch in the restaurant on the first day, the food was delicious and service was impeccable.

All the staff wore the same uniform which was nice and everyone acknowledged and greeted us with a smile every time they saw us. The local knowledge of the staff and the recommendations are faultless. We had fantastic meals at all the restaurants they recommended us out in the area.

After spending large parts of the day sightseeing and walking around, we made sure that we allowed ourselves a few hours to enjoy the beautiful pool. The temples of note are within walking area, and there are numerous tuk-tuks and red cars available if you need to venture further afield. The Night Market is a 15minute tuk-tuk ride away, a good way to spend the evening -dining and bagging bargains there.

In addition to the 24 hour gym, the hotel offers some fitness activities at no extra charge. Twice a week they have yoga classes (@ 6am on Wednesday and Fridays). I went on Wednesday and really enjoyed it. There were just myself and 1 other guest (I a beginner and the other an intermediate), the instructor was fantastic, she took into account and accommodated both our varied abilities. On Thursday afternoon, I booked myself for the Friday morning session, but unfortunately, the individual I spoke to forgot to make note of it and so there was no booking made. As no one else had booked, the class was cancelled but unfortunately I found out at 6am when I turned up for the class (after the extreme efficiency, it was very disappointing to experience this falter especially as I am not a morning person it was hard enough waking up at that time!).

Overall, the hotel is unique with a tranquil and peaceful ambience. The staff are amazing and the attention to detail is evident in everyones actions. I was sad to see our stay come to an end here, and wish they had a U Chiang Mai in every city in the world! We definitely got more than our money's worth- I highly recommend U Chiang Mai.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank b_1007
Leiria, Portugal
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The U Chiang Mai Hotel is absolutely lovely with all the little details that define a boutique hotel.
The location is absolutely central. The room we stayed in was very well appointed with very nice touches to décor and comfort. Complete hygiene kit, nice robe and slippers, IPod station, balcony by the pool with sun bed.
The black pool is gorgeous. Not big but the hotel has a small number of rooms.
The staff is truly helpful. They’ll go the extra mile to cater for guests needs.
All in all a lovely stay.

1 Thank Carlos R
Milan, Italy
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Chang Mai is a very special city and its sorroundings are beautiful. I was there on holiday and as every tourist stayed out from the morning till the evening to make the most of those days, but it was always a pleasure to go back to U Hotel. The room was beautiful and clean with a nice balcony and an amazing bathroom; the staff is extremely kind and professional. I wish I stayed there more than three days

Singapore
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed at that boutique hotel with 2 small kids and loved it. The stuff is very friendly and happy to help. The room was modern with little cute twists, nice and big enough for 4 of us. It has IPad doc. station and TV works with your IPad too. Location - in the middle of Old Town is brilliant - - everything is within walking distance. Saying that it may get little noisy on the night of Night Market if your room faces the street - though it is only for couple hours as authorities are very strict about closing time of the market. Breakfast is very yummy and they are happy to adjust dishes to your (or kids) liking. They can work a little bit on the quality of their capuccinos, lattes etc ,,, though the plain coffee is very good. The hotel has fitness room and a pool. The stuff was always very happy to help us with directions or just informing us what's on in town and how to get there. Overall we had a great time there and will be happy to stay there again if back in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: If you have troubles with stairs ask for ground level room - No lift..
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelCrazy2010_10
Nederland
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This place is perfect for a holiday in chiang mai. The service is great, the rooms are big and the design is beautiful, for us the perfect place to be.

1 Thank Gerrit L