“great place to stay”
Review of Elliebum

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elliebum
Ranked #161 of 736 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
hawaii
“great place to stay”
Reviewed April 3, 2010

we are a family of 5 with 3 daughters ages 10,16 and 17 and stayed at elliebum for 3 nights in march.
email contact with gade the owner was generally prompt,polite,and informative.
we arranged for airport pick up and for our family to occupy both rooms at elliebum.
a third bed was placed in the second floor room.

airport p/u was there waiting for us with a sign that that said welcome to chiang mai with our names on it.
Elliebum is a guesthouse well located for our purposes.it is a short 5 minute walk away from the famous sunday night market. there are several places to eat close by including a thai place just a few steps away.we ate there for dinner one night and enjoyed it very much.the regular night bazzar is a quick 5 minute ride by truck that cost 5 of us 100 bahts total.there was never a shortage of the trucks going past elliebum.
The sunday market is spectacular and a must do.our famiiy generally does not shop much but here everyone was buying something and most things were very cheap and reasonable.
the rooms at elliebum are spacious and adequate.do not expect 5 star luxury but we were all happy with our accomodations.the rooms were clean and the more importantly the rooms were made up daily.
breakfast which is included in the price was cooked daily for us by gade the owner.she specially made our family breakfast very early on two mornings because of our early itineraries.The children enjoyed the banana pancakes and french toast.both were very good.we were also allowed to choose a coffee,cappucino or fruit smoothie.the cappucinos were excellent and the kids loved the smoothies.other choices included bacon and eggs with tomatoes more european style which was also good.
i wish i was there right now having a cappucino.
gade was very helpful to us providing information and helping us set up rides to doi suthep by sorng ta ou which are the little red trucks whizzing around chiang mai.
she also set up reservations for us at khum kantoke dinner show.
she also went out of her way to try and help me with my cellular phone problems. my wife feels and rightly so that i should emphasize that Gade was an exceptional host and went above and beyond what would be expected to help us on every level.

overall it was a very pleasant and nice stay. Elliebum gives you a homey feel and not the impersonal flavor of the big hotels.
gade the owner i feel makes the guesthouse a positive and enjoyable place.
i would recommend this guesthouse and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank desslock

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Seattle
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Gade the owner of Elliebum was most helpful with advice, tips and making arrangements. She knows all the ins and outs of Chiang Mai. Plus I felt like I was visiting an old friend more than staying at a guesthouse. The room was large and comfortable. The cafe was inviting with great coffee and breakfast - if you want a Thai breakfast, Gade will go to the market and it it for you. Elliebum is in a great location. I found it easy to bike, walk or take a red taxi anywhere with ease. I highly recommend Elliebum and would stay there the next time I am in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank seattletraveller59
kyawiyana
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I can't believe all the good reviews I've been reading here. We stayed in Elliebum during New Year and we've had the worst stay and experience we could have had! We are Asians and polite in every way but we find their service lacking and staffs being very rude!

I've searched a lot here in Trip advisor for weeks trying to find a nice place for us to stay for a week long vacation in Changmai. I have many hotels/guesthouse in mind but when I made a request to Gade if she could arrange a room for a family of 4 plus one tot, she responded positively. Very few would accept this kind of arrangement that's why we agreed to choose this place, in addition to the good reviews I read from here. My family live in Bangkok and since my mom and sister are visiting us from the US to spend more quality time w/ our 18 months old daughter for few weeks only, we opted to stay together for more bonding moments hence, the booking done by November.

Pros:
1. Email correspondence and booking-prompt and courteous on emails only.
2. The room- spacious and clean.
3. Good breakfast- but can be had anywhere the town too.
4. Owner speaks good English.

Cons:
1. Pick-up from the airport never came- I called Gade a couple of hours before we arrived, and she said ok. Hence, we expected that someone will come to pick us up. We came at 12pm, lunch time and we saw taxis around, but opted to wait for her driver. After 15 mins. called her, she said her driver is coming. later, she called me and said, "why don't we take the taxi instead." In my mind, I could have hop in it, but I made an arrangement with her. So, after half an hour, we waited for taxi which can't be seen around anymore. So we waited. It took us an hour to get to Elliebum. Gade apologized to us.

2. Check-in time- Very poor. On the website, it says 1pm. We went in at 2pm already. After an hour long wait at the airport, we waited for an hour long just to check-in. When we arrived, an English guy told us Gade is cleaning the room. He offered us water after several minutes. Gade went down at 2pm, telling us she's sorry it took time before we could go in as the previous guest check-out late. whew!

3. Room facilities-
* towels- oh my! from the time we arrived till 6pm, it never came, although we asked for it 4-5 times. Good thing, we opted to rest for the whole afternoon. I wanted to refresh myself but wouldn't want to sound like bugging the owner for a towel. Hence, the patience. We went out for dinner somewhere without having a fresh shower. Gade apologizes again. cuz she was so busy at her coffee shop and was alone because she sent her other staff away for the holiday too which is not our problem because we want to enjoy our holiday vacation too and we are paying a lot for that! We just remind her before we leave for the towel and when we came back before 10pm, there we have towels already. Thank goodness!

*no welcome fruit basket and slippers as written on the website.

* no vanity mirror in the room- it's hard for the ladies you have to bring your own. My mom asked her for one, she seemed pissed off by requesting for it, and instead show us a small, and very little old and quite dirty mirror and asked us if its okay.

4. Room Service- very very poor. Towels came very late. During our second day, we went out and came back at 3pm, the towels were not changed, visibly no housekeeping done, and the garbage not emptied which is very important. We weren't pleased with what's going on in our stay. We told Gade politely about the room cleaning and the garbage and apologized again to us because she was busy downstairs in her cafe but she will do it eventually now that we asked for it.

5. Breakfast and preferential treatment- Gade asked my husband what time would we prefer to have our breakfast and we said maybe about 8:30-9am . She said alright but then told us she has to prepare breakfast first to the other family staying in the other room( 3 person -probably aussies or from UK/US) in the 3rd floor as they arrived few days earlier than us. She only has two rooms to take care of maybe it would be better if she wouldn't have told us that.

7. Expensive rooms- really, a room of similar quality can be had for lesser price and with much better service. Honestly!

8. Gade always explains for the things she can't give like the poor services and such. She apologizes, which is right, but she should know that guests are paying and she should give proper service and anything she told in the website or else it's just a lie! Guests can't compromise all the time because they are paying and it is not cheap.

9. knows about changmai- she said she will sit with me and talk about it, but weren't able to because she has been so busy with the cafe always making coffees and smoothies.

8. They are RUDE- when we told them we wanted to cancel our 7 days booking because we wanted to leave when we arrived in the afternoon of the second day. Basically, we have been there for 26 hours and we wanted to pay for one and half day but they wouldn't agree. So we paid for two days, really waste of money and time! My mother told them it isn't right to pay for 2 day amount since we have been there for 26 hours. They told us that it is their business and we have booked 7 days to them. We told them we wouldn't have wanted to leave but we are not satisfied because we have been compromising a lot for what they couldn't deliver. We decided to leave and never compromise again for all the things that Elliebum can't give for their guests. I chose this guesthouse because of the good reviews and expected that they will provide well for their guests but we end up compromising since we came and we weren’t happy.

The first day, we tried to do our best to be patient and accepting to them. never talking anything concerning about it waiting that somehow, their service will improve but on the second day when we arrived in the afternoon and the garbage was still there, we can't do it. we had to go.

They are pissed when we told them why we are leaving. We don't intend to leave as we have a toddler around and its hard moving but we can't stay and assume that things are alright when it isn't.. We seldom get together and spend holidays together so this time is important for us.

Gade and the other English guys told us Elliebum is JUST a guesthouse. We should stay in a hotel...5-star hotel if we want GOOD service. He even asked us if we make our beds and clean our rooms in our house everyday!??? because guesthouse doesn’t do that. Only hotels!

That is just so rude! My mom said, its different of course because we are travelers. Of course, what do we have to expect when we look for accommodation? of course, basic toiletries and cleaning done everyday.

We are Asians, but we have been to so many places in different countries and no way we were treated as such. As we are talking softly, Gade continued to run the coffee machine loudly. I know she must be pissed but she should acknowledge that they really didn't provide a good service.

It's upsetting plus the fact that we have to find another place and since it’s New Year, we had a hard time finding a place for all of us but we found out that there is really so much better guesthouses and hotels out there in a more centered location where we had spent our days happily.

Elliebum is a TERRIBLE place to be especially in NEW YEAR. Once we're in, we are on are own until we get out. Plus, the rudeness we received definitely equals a perfect vacation spoiler! WOULDN'T"T COME BACK HERE EVEN FOR A SECOND!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank kyawiyana
England
Reviewed March 8, 2010

Elliebum is very centrally placed in the Old City and within easy each of the Sunday walking market, the Night market and several temples which are open to the public
Gade is a very friendly and competent hostess and produces excellent Thai food and will give lessons in Thai cooking if asked.
Red buses and Tuk Tuks pass the door and will take you anywhere for a very modest sum.

Brisbane
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My partner and I were definitely surprised at how beautiful, funky, clean and easy to get around Chiang Mai was.

I think it was also a big bonus that where we were staying was just like staying with your favourite cousin! Gade, the owner at Elliebum was so very helpful - it was our first time in Chiang Mai and my partners first overseas trip! Friends of my parents had stayed with Gade in 2009 for 2 weeks and raved about how great it was.

When we booked with Gade, she was soo helpful asking us what we wanted to do in Chiang Mai - i got some of the tourist attractions mixed up (some were in Chiang Rai), but Gade the owner was so helpful we both decided to cancel going to Chiang Rai (this trip) and our flight from there back to BKK.

The food at Elliebum was fabulous! Breakfast consisted of yummy extra crispy bacon and eggs, glorious french toast and fabulous smoothies. Gade even told us that becuase we stayed soo many nights she offered us a free thai cooking class! We cooked a lovely green chicken curry, a chicken soup (yum yum) and had a dessert that consisted of ice cream with my favourite...chocolate and peanut butter sauce :-)

Coffee is great too - we had been to Malaysia and Hua Hin before Chiang Mai and the best coffee we found was at Starbucks... i don't even go there in Australia! But they are everywhere.

The rooms are decked out like a picture from an interior design magazine and Gade's homewares shop compliments this!

Gade organised scooter hire - and it was delivered to Elliebum, as well as an elephant farm that we went to - Patara.. FAB!

We are more than looking forward to hanging out at Elliebum for a week or two on our next adventure (hopefully soon!!).

My best girlfriend and her husband and another couple started their holiday when we left Chiang Mai and were due to go to Elliebum. She also has had nothing but lovely things to say about their stay too!!

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I had read decent reviews of Elliebum before we booked, so I can say that our stay at this boutique guesthouse did not disappoint. Elliebum is conveniently located within the old city, which makes it a short walk to attractions such as the Wats and the Sunday Walking Street. The owner, Gade, was a cool lady. She gave us good advice about places to check out and we were able to have some great experiences we would have missed out on otherwise. If I return to Chiang Mai, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Elliebum is the first choice of places to stay in Chiang Mai for my family -- and we go up there as often as possible. The young woman who owns Elliebum extends such hospitality to her guests and takes such care of them that I have no hesitation at all in recommending her guesthouse for our out-of-town guests who may not be experienced travelers. The rooms are carefully appointed and spotlessly clean, the breakfasts are a wonderful way to start the day, and the coffee is the best in Chiang Mai. The location in the old city is an easy walk to important sights and the Sunday Market while being far enough away from the bar madness of the backpacker district. Lucky you if you manage to get a room there!