“Great place to stay in Chiang Mai”
Review of Elliebum

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elliebum
Ranked #183 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Excellent guesthouse in Chiang Mai; Gade, the owner, makes you feel at home. On a quiet street, but a close walk to main city gate.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed November 6, 2009

Well, I guess I said it all in that long title of mine. This place is perfect. The only problem is they only have 2 rooms so best to book early and get a spot. Pancakes are awesome and big, the french toast is great too. Make sure to pick Gade the owner's brain about eating out, going out, etc. You'll have the best time in Chiang Mai if you do.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I really can't fault Elliebum - it's a lovely place to stay.

Gade, the owner, is what really makes Elliebum special. As other people has said, she really does go over and above what you'd expect someone to do when you're staying in their guesthouse. It's like staying with a friend. Gade has all the info you'll need for your stay. She does a free informal cooking course for those people on longer stays - a lot of fun.

There are only two rooms in Elliebum, so you need to book ahead. The rooms are very spacious for the price, and come with all the modern amenities - cable tv, dvd players, wifi (which is an excellent speed and very reliable!). They're lovingly looked after and spotlessly cleaned. The little finishing touches are what really put the cherry on the top - having an elephant wiggling it's bottom at me on a bit of soap is a very memorable part of my trip.

Breakfasts are excellent (and included) and I looked forward to my coffee every morning.

Really recommend visiting Elliebum - it will make your trip in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Elliebum is just lovely. We had such a wonderful time in Chiang Mai and staying at Elliebum was one of the highlights.

Elliebum is located within the old city walls and it's location is perfect for sight seeing and wandering around on foot. There are several restaurants close by and the walking market on Sunday is just a couple of streets away. Every other night of the week the Chiang Mai night market is an inexpensive ride away for delicious and cheap food.

At Chiang Mai airport we were met by a taxi driver who Gade (the owner of Elliebum) had arranged. He was lovely and very friendly. Once we arrived at Elliebum we were welcomed with a blue berry smoothie which was so delicious and refreshing.... perfect for frazzled travelers. Gade gave us brief rundown on things to do and see in and around Chiang Mai and helped us out with information about our particular areas of interest. She also gave us a map which she marked up with us which came in very handy.

Elliebum itself is a small, colourful guest house with a courtyard, dining/lounge area opening onto a boutique and the kitchen on the ground floor, a mezzanine with a library of assorted novels and dvds, and the two bedrooms which take up an entire floor each, on the second and third floor. The whole place has a really relaxed and cool atmosphere.

Our room was on the top floor and was very spacious and beautifully decorated. It was so nice having such a big space to relax in after staying in other small hotel rooms! We had free internet with a reliable signal, a tv with dvd player (there was a good selection of dvds downstairs to take up to your room) and a good air-conditioning system.

The breakfasts were especially wonderful! We couldn't wait for breakfast every day - especially the soft and fluffy banana pancakes with fruit and a big warm cup of milky coffee. It was so relaxing to start the day sitting in the cute courtyard in the shade surrounded by palms and plants before heading out for a day of sight seeing. I would go back to Chiang Mai for those pancakes alone.... I wish I'd asked for the recipe! (One of Gade's sisters (I think?) also works at Elliebum. She served us breakfast a few times while we were there and is very sweet. Even though she couldn't speak much English, she made us feel very welcome and cared for.)

Since we were staying for a week, Gade invited us and another guest to have a home cooked meal with her. We all congregated in the kitchen downstairs and helped Gade make a wonderful green curry, tom yum soup as well as another stir fry dish. I say we helped, but we really watched, chatted and sipped gin and tonics (or in my case a shandy) and in the process picked up interesting cooking techniques and learnt about different Thai ingredients.

We stayed for five nights in total and wished we could have stayed for longer. Gade drove us to the airport in her car (for no charge! So lovely. Thank you Gade!) and gave us a small gift when we left.

I think what makes Elliebum special, as so many others have already noted, is that you feel like your staying with friends. You feel totally comfortable yet still have privacy if that's what you want. Gade is so genuine and is just such a lovely person.

There are so many lovely guesthouses in Chiang Mai it makes it hard to choose. But in terms of value for money, charm, delicious food, relaxed atmosphere and wonderful, friendly service, you can't go past Elliebum. If we're ever back in Chiang Mai this is where we'll be staying!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Love it and love Gade, the owner. I stayed elsewhere in Chiang Mai as I was staying for several weeks and was looking for VERY budget accommodations. However, I headed to Elliebum every morning for my coffee--2 lattes--and sometimes ate lovely breakfasts there. Often spent the entire morning there in her peaceful courtyard visiting with Gade and other coffee drinkers. She is so helpful and hospitable that I soon considered her my friend and not just the cafe lady. Go to Elliebum--you WILL NOT regret it!
Anne from Portland, Oregon, USA

Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Me and my husband stayed at Elliebum in May. Great little place. Lovely big spacious and spotlessley clean rooms, great coffee, great breakfasts. Fantastic value for money. The owner Gae is great, she even gave me a present for my 40th birthday which I celebrated whilst staying there. Very friendly and highly recommended. Would definitely stay there again if we revisit Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2009

My Husband thought I'd get a kick out of staying here as my name is Ellie. I'm so glad we did. Gade made everything so easy: picked up from the train station, even though our train was 6 hours late. We were travelling with a 10 month old and Gade's Sister offered to lend us her Stroller, car safety seat, bottle steriliser and baby bath!!! If we had stayed longer I would have even have left my son with Gade to babysit, we were that comfortable.

The room was big, had DVD's and player - great for when you're baby is sleeping and you can't go anywhere. Only had 2 single beds but we pushed them together and had a great sleep not bumping in to each other. Breakfast was great, coffee was excellent and Gade makes a mean mocha! It is a guest house though, none of the extras like room service or pool and tennis court but if anything, that adds to it's charm.

The Location was ideal, the walking market is sublime if you're there on Sunday, and the temples in walking distance will leave you awestruck. You simply must go to the restaurant next door for lunch or dinner and have the locally made suasage. Amazing flavours!!

I spent a lot of time browsing through the wares in the gift shop next door and bought no where near enough! I want to go back already

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family