“Ideal evening for any Foodie!”

Siam Rice Thai Cookery School
Ranked #5 of 72 Food & Drink in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We had a great evening at the cooking school. The evening started with a visit to the market where the guide taught us the names, looks and how to pick the main ingredients in Thai cuisine. After that we arrived to Pot's house, Pot is the house and school owner, he is an amazing chef with a great personality. Since it was Valentine's Day the group was really small, there were only 5 of us but we had a great time. Each of us picked around 5 different plates and we started cooking and eating one by one. I read on reviews before that people recommend not to eat before the class, but I would like to repeat it, really please do not eat! Each of the 5 dishes you prepare is like a full meal, but you will get to eat the 5 of them in one evening and as a bonus Pot also prepared delicious Mango Sticky rice for dessert, so prepare yourself for the feast! Each dish turned out to be really delicious and you really prepare it from scratch, when you try it you will not believe you prepared it yourself. The class is so entertaining and fun that you will end up being friends with the other ones in the group. You do not need any previous cooking experience to enjoy the class, just subscribe and enjoy the evening and the food, you will not regret it!

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I read lots of reviews/menus for cooking schools, and decided to try this one because I liked that we could choose what we wanted to cook/eat. I didn't realize that because everyone chooses different dishes, we could essentially learn more about many other dishes through comparison. Most of the sessions begin with a big plate of vegetables/spices/etc. in the middle of the table, and the instructor puts the ingredients for each person's dish on their plate... You can see what goes into + how to make penang curry vs. massalman vs. red vs. green curry as long as someone else decides to make the other curries/soups/dishes.

Essentially, I learned a lot more than I expected in the first day I went with my husband... and I decided to go back for a second day so I could try making a different set of dishes. I've been to cooking classes in Cambodia, China, and Mexico... this is the only one that I repeated.... obviously, I enjoyed it; had fun; learned a lot; and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I had been to a cooking school before in Thailand which was good but definitely not fun. We almost cancelled this class at Siam Rice because we were afraid it was going to be a long half day since we'd already "been there done that" with cooking classes. I am so glad we went anyway! This was so much fun and our cooking guide hilarious. We were first taken to the market and shown all the ingredients we would be using, then got to pick our own dishes (4 for the half day group) which was great because as a couple we got to sample 8 different dishes (though my husband likes his food incredibly spicy so I didn't sample more than a tiny taste of each of his dishes)! Warning do not come to this class with any food in your belly - you will be incredibly full by the 2nd course even if you arrive hungry! I definitely recommend this class, even for those who have already taken a class somewhere else. This one is a must! Also got a discount by booking through Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My sister and I did a full day. They picked us up at the hotel we were staying at and dropped us off after. Pot was funny and I learned so much. Pot was very engaging and hilarious. Very well run program considering that the there is about 8 people in your class usually and we all have different recipe options to recreate.
Must do!

Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Chiang Mai and decided we wanted to do a cookery course. We deliberated for a while over which one and were so glad we chose Siam Rice, what a wonderful experience and one of my favorite memories from my whole trip. Nancy was quick to reply to my email, we were collected from our hotel, the market tour was fab and not touristy at all. Nancy was lovely and charismatic, there were lots of food options to chose from so you learnt to cook your favorite dishes. The course flowed very well and we weren't rushed at all. We chose half a day as we had limited time available and we weren't disappointed. The full day and half day course all start together and the full day people stay longer to do a few more dishes. We were given the cookery book so I'm looking forward to cooking thai food when I get home. Highly recommended!