“great class/great teacher”

Ranked #5 of 71 Food & Drink in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A group of 6 of us signed up for the evening class, and we're thrilled that we did. The owner, Pot, taught the class with humor and expertise. We started at the market, learning about the ingredients, and then each participant chose the dishes he/she wanted to cook- I think 4 or 5, each. Everything was delicious and the recipes and instructions were easy to follow. My husband, who is not a fan of cooking, really enjoyed himself, and we all had a great time, and were stuffed, eating our home made goodies. Can't wait to make some of these dishes at home. A great way to start our northern Thailand vacation. Helped us to know what foods to order as we traveled.

1  Thank Roni4451

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I did the half-day at Siam Rice Thai Cookery, the morning session. They pick you up at your hotel and you go straight to the outdoor market where you get a brief lesson the ingredients, which is fun. Then you have some time to explore the market and off to the cooking school - which is an adorable house and all the cooking is done outside.

COME HUNGRY! do not eat breakfast. If you do a half day, you cook 3 items - 1) a soup of your choice, 2) a noodle of your choice, 3) a curry of your choice. All are made with chicken but they will substitute items for vegetarians. If you are dead set on making papaya salad you need to do a longer session for it is not an option on a half-day. We were stuffed after the noodles so I don't even know how you could do the full day.

We were nervous about feeling that this would be a waste of time - being halfway across the world to be in a cooking lesson seemed like a waste, but it was a actually a really fun day and we got to try more food than we otherwise did on our own. Plus, the local market was an experience on its own.

The session is lots of fun - my husband and i picked different dishes. The lesson is simple and easy and the instructions are specific. You get a recipe book so you can repeat at home if you like. The instructor we had was hilarious and made the day a lot of fun and worth the time.

Tip: Pick the drunken noodles - when you cook them they flame up and it is great photos!

2  Thank shekels
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My friends and I had so much fun taking the full day course with Siam. The market tour, along with the hands-on class was a great experience. I didn't know a lot about Thai food before, so this course was very informative and fun, as it went step-by-step in preparing, cooking, and eating 7 different thai courses. I can't wait to take what I learned and recreate these dishes back home, with the help of the new cookbook provided by the cooking school!

1  Thank SarahMac1024
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to Siam Rice on our first full day in Chiang Mai (and Thailand!) and were so happy that we did!

Nancy was a great teacher, and the recipes that we used were simple enough for beginners, but still fun for those of us that do a lot of cooking.

We did the full day course (6 dishes plus curry paste), which was a lot of food, but we were happy that we did! It meant that we knew exactly what to expect of all the dishes when eating in thai restaurants. I can even say that some of the food we cooked was better than that in restaurants we visited!

In case you think that you won't be able to eat that much, they are nice enough to package up leftovers if you ask!

We had a fantastic day learning the different dishes - just wish we could find more of the ingredients at home in Canada! Would recommend this to everyone!

2  Thank biogirl
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We did the evening class, which involved learning five dishes and a trip to the market to learn about the ingredients. The teacher was fun and informative. We learnt lots and had a brilliant evening!!!

1  Thank Annie C