“Good location, clean room and good service”

At Pingnakorn Hotel Chiangmai
Ranked #74 of 381 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Good location, clean room and good service”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel may not look attractive from the outside but the interior decoration is impressive.
Surrounded by many pubs and restaurants. We enjoyed our night out, walking around the neighborhood very much. The room is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I made a hotel reservation at this property (At Pingnakorn) via booking.com and was informed when I arrived that the room was fully booked. This is an unacceptable and terrible experience for me since I have made a reservation for a month and received a confirmation before my arrival. Although the hotel moved me to stay at another nearby hotel, but this could not compensate the careless hospitality. Imagine you arrive at the property with tiredness and you need a place to relax but was moved to somewhere else. I will never come back to this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Sawasdeekrab
Krungthep Mahanakorn
Reviewed March 17, 2013

At Pingnakorn is not beautiful from afar. Its apperance is that of an ordinary apartment building at the end of Soi Nimman 12 (golf cart service provided for those too lazy to walk). But hidden gems await guests inside: gracious staff, clean & stylishly decorated bedrooms in different colours, functional bathrooms with all the mod-con you could ask for (hairdryer, slippers, etc.), and a 7th-floor terrace where views of both Doi Suthep and Night Bazaar area (as well as the hotel's laundry) can be appreciated.

The highlight comes every morning. Where else could you find kaa moo (ขาหมู: pork knuckle); moo ping (หมูปิ้ง: grilled pork skewer) paa tong ko (ปาท่องโก๋: Thai-styled churros) served with condensed milk and sangkaya (สังขยา: coconut jam); and Thai coconut-based desserts like tako (ตะโก้) all at the same time?

Restaurant tip: Explore the Nimman strip, the Thonglor of CNX, popular among Thais but unfortunately not among foreign (especially Western) tourists who prefer seedy Night Bazaar area that locals avoid like the plague. We especially enjoyed tapas bar Jakkajee (จั๊กกะจี้) where every dish costs 50 baht and Ristr8to Coffee where its handsome, rock-star entrepreneur has won 6th-place award for World Latte Art Championship.

If you have your own wheels, make sure to try coffee at Kaafae Lung Som (กาแฟลุงส้ม: Uncle Orange's Coffee) at Sansai (สันทราย) intersection and authentic Northern cuisine at Huen Jai Yong (เฮือนใจ๋ยอง) at San Kamphaeng (สันกำแพง).

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the lower floor as they are too close to the kitchen. Request rooms facing Doi Suthe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank PORhibido
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

It is very nice location as well. This place is very clean and nice decoration. It is quiet place. Located near many nice thai restaurants. You will never say no for this hotel. It is reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed here last year for work and returned again. We are able to get our work done and like that it is just charming enough not to feel like a hotel. The staff is helpful. We did have a mix-up with our booking the first night and a few air conditioner problems though. Location is convenient for many eating places and getting around Chiang Mai. We will probably come again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent 10 days here for work in January in superior room 402 with a separate kitchenette. The room was very clean and comfortable with a window overlooking the mountain and a small balcony off the kitchen. There was a decent sized table next to the window with good internet connection where I could work. There is also cable TV and air conditioning. The room was generally very quiet with hardly any noise from neighbouring rooms or the corridor outside. There was some noise from night clubs outside the hotel during the evening but ear plugs and/or the air con on made this a minor problem.
The bathroom was generally good - though hot water could sometimes be a bit scarce! The 2 free bottles of water per day are nice. Breakfast is a varied Asian menu and sausages, poached eggs,toast, and 2 cereal choices to cater for western diets. The coffee is freshly ground in a coffee machine and the best coffee I have had in SE Asia. There is also fresh milk available instead of those awful creamer sachets!

Staff were friendly and helpful and spoke good English. On 2 occasions my room was not serviced but this could have been because I was working in my room during the day. I was given free transport to the airport with a very nice young English speaking staff member who had studied in Australia.
The location is excellent within easy walking distance to a number of very good places to eat including 'Khun Chun' (directly across Nimmanhaemin road and down about 20 metres) and 'Why Not' (turn left down Nimmanhaemin and then 3rd on right about 100 metres down). Wat Suan Dok is about 20minutes easy walk, and it's very easy to get a red truck or tuk tuk into the old town. Just
say 'Kantary Hills' to the driver and they know where to go (Pingnakorn is in the same side street/soi off Nimmanhaemin about 20 metres further down). I can also recommend Kandara Spa which is next to the hotel and although a bit more expensive, is definitely worth it.
Overall, lacks atmosphere but is clean and comfortable and is an easy and convenient place to stay in Chiang Mai.

Room Tip: Room 402 has a nice view and balcony off the kitchen.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank campbells05
Thailand
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was bowled over by the pictures of the hotel when I was researching for my accommodation in Chiangmai. The furnishings were quirky, a classic fusion of European, vintage and Thai touches. Unfortunately besides that this hotel has no more wow factor to impress me to return.

Starting from the hardware of the hotel:
We booked a 2-bedroom unit and that was spacious though there was no TV in the living area.
There was a permanent foul smell in the living area so we stayed in our bedrooms most of the time.
The decorations were really funky and exquisite at first glance, but having spent some time you'll realise that not a lot of thought was given to the actual living in it as some stuff are just not practical.
My BIGGEST complaint would be that the water heater is so so so bad. The water runs cold so you turn it to the left to turn on the hot water, then it heats up and doesn't stop heating up, so it gets increasingly hot so you have no choice but to turn right to cool it down, but it doesn't cool down until you turn it all the way to the right then you can hear the heater clicking off (heater is under the sink). Then it gets cold. Then you turn left again to turn on the heater, once again it just gets increasingly hot till it become scalding, then you turn right to cool it and the heater turns off. There is just NO in between for the temperature so I spent a long time turning on and off and on and off the heater just to shower. Then the shower curtain does nothing to prevent water from flowing off the sides of the bathtub onto the floor. And the frosted glass windows in the bathroom...not sure if it actually blocks anything out as I'm sure the apartment block opposite will still be able to see your naked silhouette when bathroom lights are on at night. So maybe you can only shower in the day. The toilet roll was also placed at an awkward angle so we removed the roll from the holder and placed it at the side.
Free wifi but they only have one access port on each floor so if you're at the end of the corridor and you close the door you can forget about getting a signal. We could not use wifi at all throughout our stay as we could not get a wifi signal at all.
The hotel is near the airport so expect to hear planes taking off and landing at all times of the day. There is also a karaoke nearby so I heard lousy singing till 1am.
The hotel was located at the end of the road, which is about a 200m walk. That itself was a disadvantage given that there are so many more choices along the main road. Nimman is accommodation haven and I would definitely recommending you check others out before this.

What really killed the experience was the staff. Coming from the hospitality industry I do have certain set expectations of a resort, and I can lower my expectations even for a "3-star" hotel like this. But the staff were really very inexperienced and flustered at most times. When we arrived 2 staff seated at the counter was serving another guest, I would have thought at least one of them could come to help us check-in. No acknowledgement whatsoever that we have arrived and there were 4 of us at the lobby. They brought the welcome drink out and just placed it on the reception table. We didn't know if it was for us since they didn't seem to acknowledge us at all, which was extremely rude to me. At least gesture to me that you have seen me and please wait a little while.
Then when I finally got to the counter I asked if the drink was for us, they nodded yes. Given that I spoke fluent Thai so there was no excuse for language barrier. I told them I booked the two-bedroom suite, didn't even get to mention my name they said "you still have to pay THB 4000 balance payment". WOW. After paying they just took the key out, gave it to me and told me to sign the register.
Then as we were on a late night flight we asked to see if they could give us a late checkout. I wasn't even asking for a very late checkout, maybe just 1-2 hours so we can sleep in a little bit more before packing, but they didn't even bother to check they just said no late checkout.
And they really are very bad at multi-tasking so please ask them one question at a time. They will take about 15 minutes fiddling here and there, talking on the phone, appearing busy and all the time I was just staring at them wondering if they heard my question in the first place. It's just extremely rude to not acknowledge your guest and if you are working on a solution, to at least let the guest know you are working on it.
We asked them to store our luggage as we were heading out and when we came back we asked for our luggage. They literally just took out the luggage in the storage area from across the carpark and left it there. They didn't even bother to bring it to the lobby area so we had to walk there to get our own luggage. I swear I am not a mean person and I have never raised my voice with the staff so I am not sure what is with all the animosity or are they all like that?

Like I said, Nimman has a lot more choices so I would not recommend this hotel first. Plenty of other boutique hotels in the area so check those out first.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family