“Noisy surrounding”

At Pingnakorn Hotel Chiangmai
Ranked #82 of 387 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I have been at this hotel several times and I feel like the service is getting worse. The room is at great location, very convenient, but noisy surrounding. Not recommended for light sleep person. The lastest I stayed I found that The lamp in my room and telephone are broken. If you wanna book this hotel, check out at travel agency website. It is much cheaper than booking through hotel directly.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for At Pingnakorn Hotel Chiangmai

Reviewed August 7, 2010

The rooms are beautiful and wifi was always available from our room. The staff were extremely friendly and all spoke fantastic english. Breakfast was OK - but good enough. The loaction is great if you love boutique and funky fashion and jewlery shops as Nimmanhaeminda Road is well known for these things. I must admit that it is a fairly noisy area but the cute and tidy rooms made up for it. Also there is no pool. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stayed at Pingnakorn for 8 months in 2009 and I had a really wonderful experience. I stayed in another long-term hotel/apt during my first month in Chiang Mai where the rent was twice that of Pingnakorn and the apt was made of really shoddy materials. When I visited Pingnakorn, I quickly secured a room b/c I was really pleased by the value I was getting for my money. The hotel was warm and inviting as was my room. I was told the owner was an interior designer and you could definitely tell in the decor and quality of the materials - marble floors, tile bathrooms, solid sinks and tub, and comfortable furnishings. I will admit, the nightly noise from the nearby bars was not pleasant at first but after a few nights, I didn't notice it anymore. That is the only complaint I have about my stay. I thoroughly enjoyed the meals from the restaurant downstairs; the cook was always willing to make me a meal off the menu. There were a few staples I enjoyed however, hence the joke from staff about "the usual?". As a long term guest, housekeeping staff visited my apt once a week and they always did a thorough job of cleaning my room. The staff were attentive and kind; there were a few individuals who had excellent English speaking abilities but I still managed to get what I needed from those who spoke very little English. The internet was free which was great since I needed it for work. There were a few instances in which the internet went down but it was always up and running within a few hours. As part of my contract, I paid first and last month's rent on the day I moved in. After that, I just paid at the end of the month when I got my rent and utilities bill. I actually extended my lease for a few more weeks and this was not a problem; the manager gave me a pro-rated monthly rate rather than the daily or weekly rate which saved me money. Overall, my residence at Pingnakorn was great and everything I wanted or needed was quickly accommodated by the staff. I would definitely recommend Pingnakorn to others but perhaps bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper :)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank ranibella
Reviewed February 12, 2010

I stayed at the 'At Pingnkorn' on Thursday night and experienced loud noises from neighbouring bars at night. The music did not stop until midnight or so. I stayed in a Deluxe room at Baht 1,500 per night (corporate rate), and found that the room is new and clean. Towels, bedsheet, pillows, and duvet are relatively new.

Breakfast is a little bit on thedownside as they left the Thai-American breakfast cold. Selection of food is very limited and I think it's not worth the money when compared to other hotels in Chiang Mai.

The free wireless Internet access and the comfort of the room (apart from loud noises at night) make up for the downsides. If you are the type of person who goes to bed early and are a light sleeper, I suggest that you choose another hotel or use ear plugs.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2009

My family and I recently spent four nights at this hotel and I can honestly say that it is one of the finest hotels I have stayed. Clean, friendly and efficient. The breakfast was fantastic, the rooms were spacious and the proximity to the town was excellent. I would thorougly recommend that you choose this hotel - you will not be disappointed.
The owner should be applauded on running such a great hotel - well done.
Mr. Baker (BA Hons) p.g.c.e ph

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I stayed at the hotel in question on a long-term basis, which is probably quite different than the more common short stay. Therefore, my review may be a bit more critical as it is based on events covering 6 months.

Let me say that the hotel is quite charming (boutique hotel) and the rooms are done very nicely. Most of the staff are polite, but most have poor English skills, which is unusual for the better hotels in Thailand. Unfortunately, this is about all the positive things I can say.

When I came to the hotel initially, I was told by the manager that the Internet was very good, which was very important for me. Actually, the Internet here is worthless. The owner does not seem to want to improve the Internet service, which actually is free (most hotels require a fee). They have promised many times to improve the Internet service, but it seems it is only talk (as I am writing this review, the Internet is completely down).

Another seriously flaw that I was not told about before moving in is the noise from the discos nearby. Even when I close my windows, the noise level is so high that I must raise the sound of the TV quite high to drone out the disco music. Furthermore, there is an open field close by and there cars and motorbikes race. In addition, political demonstrations have been held there with loud music and even louder speeches. Finally, construction is going on nearby so even during the day the noise level is high.

Other complaints include lack of hot water, which seems to be not the case in all the rooms. I apparently had bad luck. For over 1 month, I took showers where the water turned cold after about 20 sec. Finally, they replaced the water heater located in my bathroom, which solved the problem. However, there are 3 levels and they put the heater on the lowest level, which means that the water never gets very hot, but at least it stays warm! They also had to change my TV set because of poor sound quality.

The room itself is quite nice, so it unfortunate that the owners can’t better serve their guests. I think they prefer Thai people. This argument is based on the fact that most of the TV channels are in Thai and the only news channel in English is CNN, which was not working for over 1 month (they said the box needed repair!). They had the Bangkok Post when I first moved in, but they discontinued the subscription.

Another problem only faced by long-term guests is monthly cost. I pay 14,000 Baht/month according to my contract. But when the first payment came, they asked for payment for 25 days and they continued to do this type of payment for several months until I refused. One month they over charged me about 2500 baht, which after complaining several times was refunded. I moved in 5 Jan 2009 and now I will leave early because of all the issues here. I thought I paid until 4 or 5 Aug, but now I am told I must leave 31 July. I give up arguing with these people- just glad to leave.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank lshapspro
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Although I had never been to Chiang Mai before, this is my 6th visit in Thailand. I have stayed in a variety of hotels, from Sofitel to design boutique hotel like X2 or hotel Seven and I must say I was really impressed by At Pingnakorn hotel.
If hotel chains bore you, this may just be the right place for you. The hotel is boutique size (about 40 rooms) with tasteful decoration and great staff. As this is a boutique hotel, sometimes the staff is a bit clumsy but you can feel they are eager to help. Plus, the rates are unbeatable (from 950THB on Sawadee).

The rooms are great and their website will give you a good idea of what to expect. We initially had booked a superior room but were pleasantly surprised when they offered to upgrade us to a bedroom suite. The hotel also has a great rooftop with a few tables, chairs, deckchairs. As we were travelling with another couple, we would go to the rooftop terrace every evening for a glass of wine al fresco. We never saw anyone there during our stay.

The hotel is located outside the old city (10 min ride by tuktuk) but near a main street with many shops and restaurants.

Also, there is a great spa just outside the hotel, with cheap massage and body treatments (starting at 400THB).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple