Riverside House
  • Breakfast included
Green Lodge(Chiang Mai)
Silver Place(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
Anantara Chiang Mai Resort(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
Galare Guest House(Chiang Mai)
View Hotel
All reviewsiron bridgenight markethard boiled eggsping riversmall poolthai dishrimping supermarketthe breakfast areaarranging toursaway from the roadguest houselaundry servicefresh fruitdeluxe roomswould stay here againfried ricebusy road
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 10, 2012

The Riverside has very comfortable and clean rooms. It is very close to the night market. The hotel itself is next to the bridge to the night market. They provide an OK breakfast. They have good wifi available in the rooms, by the pool, and the dining area. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 67suns
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Visiting from America with wife and three daughters. Enjoyed that girls get room with three beds, beside us above the nice pool area. Very helpful staff, nice breakfast, and the price is just right.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank gabetaviano
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I have stayed at Riverside House 3 times in my last 3 visits to Chiang Mai over the last 7 years. During my recent stay, I had the opportunity to stay in rooms in both the old (THB 500 a night) and new wings (THB 800 a night). I chose Riverside for its close proximity to the Anusarn and Kalare night bazaars (it's a 10-minute walk at a leisurely pace from the guest house) and its family-oriented policy (i.e., no dodgy unregistered guests going in and out of the premises.) The modern Rimping Supermarket a few doors away also stocks a decent range of imported items, in case you are feeling a little homesick from the travel.

Back to Riverside House: The old wing room has not changed much in terms of an upgrade since my last 2 visits. I do not find this to be an issue as long as the room is clean by guest house standards, which it was. Sure I have encountered the occasional bed sheet/towel stains and mosquitoes in the bedroom, but I was more than willing to put up with these inconveniences as I wasn't expecting a Le Meridien experience for the budget that I was travelling on.

The new wing room is spacious, and the only noticeable edge that it has over the old wing room is that it's new, has more natural light, and is equipped with a small TV with cable channels.

As for the staff at Riverside, I give them top marks for smiles, friendliness and helpfulness.

If there is one complain that I have while staying at Riverside House, it would be that the Sunday night market is situated a bit far from Riverside (the Sunday market is held along Rachadamnoen Road, between Thapae Gate and Wat Phra Sing, which is a 20 minute walk from Riverside.) But this is really not a bad point for Riverside--it's close to many points of interests in the city, without being too close that the traffic and party-goer noises affect sleep quality. Just note, however, that airport taxis charge more to get to Riverside House than they advertise at the airport counter (I paid THB 160 instead of the advertised rate of THB 120). Their claim is that Riverside House is located on the eastern edge of the city, and THB 120 only gets me to the (old) city.

All in, I would stay here again in my next visit to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tzetrip
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is our last night here in Chiang Mai and we have had the most relaxing week after finishing off a tour around Cambodia & Vietnam. After reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor we booked up with Riverside House & we're so glad we did. We even extended our stay an extra 2 nights.

We were looking for somewhere we could relax and enjoy some quiet down time and this was easily achieved here. We were picked up from the airport (for 200b, admittedly a taxi is probably cheaper but this was convenient for us so we went with it) and when we arrived shown to our lovely deluxe room. The staff here are so friendly and welcoming I cannot praise them highly enough. As mentioned by others there is also a travel agency within reception and we booked some flights here too which was hassle free.

The free breakfast is basic consisting of toast, fruit & cereal but for only 20b you can get eggs or for 65b a smoothie (I recommend the 'wake-up' smoothie - delicious & refreshing!).

Due to some flooding before we arrived the pool was not in use until yesterday but we did try it out and found it quite refreshing.

The rooms are cleaned daily and at least in the part where we were, bright & airy with air-con and a balcony out back and a table & two chairs overlooking the garden out front.

I would definately recommend those looking for a more sedate stay in Chiang Mai to come here. It was precisely what we were looking for and would just like to thank the staff here for their friendliness & attentiveness. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room on 2nd floor right in the corner which was nice & quiet
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Trudie K
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I'd like to thank those of you who wrote reviews about the Riverside House since they helped me with my choice during my stay in Chiang Mai in September this year. And, a good choice it was too !

Initially, we spent two nights in a standard room. This room had little daylight but it aided us with a very good sleep. Several days later we returned to the Riverside House and stayed in a delux room with lots of daylight, a fridge and a TV. Both rooms were very clean. The price of the room included a breakfast with plenty to eat.

The small swimming pool and garden made for a pleasant atmosphere. The night market is just a few minutes away across the river and the city center is pretty close too. Morever, the staff, Nok, Pom and Kai were very friendly and helpful in answering our questions about Chiang Mai

Room Tip: For a better sleep stay away from the rooms closer to the road
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple