“Get what you pay for .”

Ranked #45 of 758 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Get what you pay for .”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

First of all if ur not the backpacker type avoid this hotel . I paid 500 bht which is really cheap but expect the usual things in these small guest houses such as stained bed sheets , mosquitos in room , small shower & really stained towels . The place itself has a lovely small pool & although they advertise b'fast it only consist of tea/cofee, toast and some water-melon/bananas. As i said for 500 baht its quite worth-it but some reviews here are misleading . Location is far from night market and center areas but i always enjoyed walking to reach them.....around 20/30 minute walk. If ur planning to staying here avoid the taxi arrangement by staff themselves . They charge me 200 baht for one way but i saw 100 baht changing hands of taxi driver & receptionist on my arrival!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank baksy39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Billund, Denmark
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Although right next to busy traffic, the rooms are on the behind ,surrounding a small garden and a small swimmingpool.., so a quiet place to stay in city center. It is informal and friendly with different types of backpackers, families and solo travellers.. Nice people all around you, but not crowded.. Tour easily arranged at the desk. I booked a 2 day trekking tour- so saved the cost of one night at the hotel. Actual price for the trip than only 50 dollars- incl of meals, transport- sleeping in village on straw mat, trekking, bamboraft, whitewater raft and elephant riding- of course everything simple in an old jeep- simple food etc.- if you want air.con busses and bigger trips with "services" pick a more expensive trip , - a question og preferences-- but I enjoyed it although for several days after my legs were killing me !!. So nice to befrindly treated without feeling like a VIP, as I did at the more expensive places I stayed

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Charlotte098
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I am currently in the middle of a month long stay at Riverside House. I just retired to Chiang Mai and am staying here while I look for permanent accommodations. This is the second time I have stayed at Riverside House, the first time being in late 2009. I was here for about 5 days on that trip.

On the first stay, I was quite pleased with both the accommodations and staff. The staff went out of their way to take care of my friend and I. As an example, when we left, we got to the train station and I noticed I had left my hat and sunglasses on the checkout desk. I called and asked them to send them over by taxi and I would pay the fare. About 15 minutes later, one of the staff showed up and delivered the sunglasses and hat to me at no charge. This was typical of the service that they provide.

Since the first stay, they have also added a nice swimming pool and made free wifi available in all the rooms. The cleaning staff does an excellent job and the rooms are all well maintained and clean. I stayed in one of the Deluxe rooms, though they have other rooms available. The property is generally quiet, especially at night. The cook here is great. Good tasting, quality Thai food. I highly recommend the chicken with garlic and black pepper.

I would recommend (and have recommended) Riverside House to both friends and fellow travelers without hesitation.

Just as a note, I am wondering if the one negative review posted here was from someone who actually stayed here or if they accidentally got the name of the place wrong. I have never seen anything remotely resembling what they described.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank genericnic
South west WA
Reviewed February 24, 2011

The staff here are so accommodating, we booked numerous trips with them and had prompt pick up, and on return the staff had time to chat and enquire about one's day. The girls who do the rooms are excellent and the brekky provided always fresh and tasteful. The addition of a cook to do meals up to 5pm is fantastic and all meals delight the taste buds for a very reasonable cost. I could re-iterate all below but those who have stayed here know the value of this establishment.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank buffybird
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Riverside House is by far my guesthouse of choice in Chiangmai. For the last 9 years I have travelled to Chiangmai on an average of twice per year and now don't bother to look for other accommodation. This family run guesthouse is quiet and clean. Although not top of the market it is very economical and value for money. What sells it for me is the genuine friendliness, helpfulness and good humour of the staff. The manageress goes out of her way to help guests and I get the impression that running this guesthouse is not only a business but a delight to her. The guesthouse is constatnly being upgraded and in the last few months a swimming pool has been added. During my stay this time internet routers have been installed so now the free wireless internet service is available in all rooms. More power outlets have been added to the breakfast area due to increased demand of guests using their own laptops. Whenever I had a problem with the room (eg a blown light bulb) the staff were quick and efficient in solving the problem. Now, I'm off to make my booking for the next visit ...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank liz_hentschel
Broome
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Our room was very dirty, especially the bed. The sheets, pillow cases and pillows were absolutely filthy ! We just couln'd sleep on this bed, we had never seen something so bad. So we asked the night staff for fresh sheets, but nobody was able to provide us with other sheets ! We had to call the owner who lives on site, this lady was extremely rude and not willing at all to help us to sleep on a decent bed. She put the blam on the houseman without any apologies, she gave us two sheets and one pillow which were supposed to be fresh but were actually as filthy as the others !
The next day we were hoping for a good housekeeping service, but we were very disappointed to see that the dirty sheets we had left on the floor were still there when we came back to our room !
Overall our experience is this hotel was terrible : very noisy, we could hear all the conversations next door and upstairs, noisy street, very poor customer service. On top of all the tour desk booked us a terrific transfer by bus to the lao border : instead of a bus, we had a minivan without enough seats for all the passengers with their backpacks, we travelled 7hours in terrible conditions, without a proper seat for each, all packed on the others and seating between the backpacks!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BroomeShootingStar
B.B.Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Riverside House is really a good place to stay. I would recommend it to all. ROOM - everyhing is very clean, air-conditioned, equipped with TV and telephone. Guests have to remove their shoes, so that's good. PRICE - the room rates are reasonable and value for money. There are a few types of room that you can choose. Breakfast was provided from 7.00am - 10.00am. PLACE - the rooms are located behind the office, thus away from the noise coming from the street. The hotel has good location in front of the Ping river and next to the Tourism Authority office. There are many restaurants & sundry shops nearby. The hotel is about 20 minutes walk to Chiang Mai city and 15 minutes walk to the mosque and muslim restaurants. You can walk or take the local taxi or took-took to go anywhere you like within the city. After a walk, guests can relax at the little garden and the swimming pool (next to the breakfast area). SERVICE - is excellent !!! The staff were friendly and assisted me on directions, tour bookings, Khantoke dinner, etc. I arranged for airport transfer to/fro, and they were very punctual. Wi-fi was available free-of-charge. TOUR - I enjoyed the group tours & dinner arranged by the hotel very much !!! .. I went to many nice places and learned about the history, culture and religion of Thailand. I wish to say special thank you to Mr Noi, Nok and Thor for making my holiday so enjoyable. I hope to come here again in future!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo