“Beautiful Ambience, Not so good service”
Review of Cabbages & Condoms

Cabbages & Condoms
Ranked #185 of 11,164 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: As one of the most unique restaurants in Metropolitan Bangkok, the Cabbages and Condoms (C&C) Restaurant has attracted international attention. Conveniently located near one of Bangkok's main business districts, C&C is very popular among local and foreign clients. Our restaurant was conceptualized in part to promote better understanding and acceptance of family planning and to generate income to support various development activities of the Population and Community Development Association (PDA) We also provide catering services to meet all requirements. And remember, our food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I first visited the novel Cabbages & Condoms restaurant 6 years ago with family. I was awe-struck with the hanging lanterns,fairy lights and general ambience of the place. I had eaten a whole sea bass and the experience was lovely. When returning early February with my boyfriend, I'd raved about this place and insisted we go for a romantic meal whilst spending a weekend in Bangkok. We had a table booked for 9am on a Friday night, and the downstairs no-smoking terrace was pretty full. We weren't welcomed that well, but soon got over this after my first good frozen Daquiri. We placed our food order, but whilst the waiter stood over our table, I spotted the specials board, and very clearly changed my order - repeating three times that i no longer required my chicken dish, but wished for the special Salmon instead. Our meals were bought out....with the chicken dish and a salad i no longer required. We sent it back, but 10 minutes later... the waiter slipped it back on to our table. I explained to three different members of staff what had happened, and it was taken away without a word. Once we'd finished eating, I quickly nipped to the ladies. Upon my return, lo and behold - the chicken dish had returned!! For a third time!! I gave up, and we had to pay for 2 dishes that we shouldnt have had. Lesson to be learnt - dont change your mind when ordering with these thai waiters. Their English is minimal and we paid the price (a hefty one at that - but this is to be expected in Bangkok). All in all, I was left disappointed. Our bill for a few 2 large beers, couple of cocktails, and 4 dishes (two unwanted!!) came to approx 1800 Baht...about £40. An expensive meal for Thailand standards. We ate better food in authentic street side canteen style places.The saving grace was the fairy lights and the statues constructed of condoms and pill packets.

There are newer reviews for Cabbages & Condoms

Reviewed February 17, 2013

it is my 2nd time to be here.my first experience was really good,friendly and attentive staff. however for this visit, it was quite disappointing. i went on Saturday and around 2 o'clock, no one is at the reception to greet you so we walk into the restaurant directly.at the counter we tell one of the staff to have a table for two, and she just wave her hand without talking anything. I think she want to show us that "choose anywhere to sit" but her way of doing this seems so rude. the staff was very inattentive, there was a long table of 10 person and there were 3 staff that serving them and no staff would like to serve other tables around there. it looks so awkward and we have to keep waving our hand to have their attention and get the things we want.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Service & food was excellent & very good value for money. Was the cheapest meal we had in a restaurant while in Bangkok & not too spicy.

Gift shop items all seem to be made by local villages & prices were very reasonable.

The powerful message is delivered in a humorous & friendly way & the PROJECT is about preventing unwanted pregnacies & STD with all profits going to support this.

Is located about 5 minutes walk from Asok station in Soi 12 (road 12)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'd heard about the restaurant so paid it a visit since it was close to my hotel. The atmosphere was quite pleasant, but the food was average. I ordered a vegetarian dish and found the preparation to be adequate but uninspired, and portion to be meager (maybe it wasn't intended to be a full meal). The dessert was better. I was alone and might have enjoyed the meal more if I'd had company.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

C&C is one of my favorite places in Bangkok. Environment is just cool, ground floor or second in the smoking area. Food is normally very good and generously served.
The cause, to use profits of the restaurant to finance family planning programs, is also very nice to support through a good moment and great food.

What happened on Feb 15th, I don't know, but sometimes it just doesn't go right.

Service was very very slow, staff was obviously wishing to be somewhere else, and the food was really below Thai standard.

Tom yam; the chef forgot obviously lemon grass...
Garlic shrimps were boiled, not panned...
Keng lieng; the chef put three times the salt needed...
Kao niao, sticky right, was dry...

And we had to wait about 45 mn to get the food.

New staff ? Too many people ? I don't know but this time, experience was a bit disappointing.

However, looking back to the past, I will however give it a chance next time... Future review to come...