“Fun, yummy, not without flows...”

May Kaidee's Cooking School
More attraction details
Owner description: Our main cooking school in Bangkok, offering Thai cooking classes, Raw food courses, and a variety of specialty classes such as How to Make Tofu, Chilli Paste and Thai Desserts. Our instructors can teach in English or Thai. Thai cooking classes also end in a students optionally being able to learn basic steps in traditional Thai dancing!
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We visited the cooking school recently, finding the place was a long and troublesom.
The class itself was lots of fun, food was good and the joy was in the air, we had a great time and learned some nice thai recipts.
What we felt was missing was some background - how to approach the special thai herbs and spices, and some explanations on each dish before the actual cooking. We did get some while we worked, but between reading instructions from the book and cooking for the first time, it wasn't easy to understand what May was saying over the noise.
All together we had fun, though, and we do recommend this attraction if you like cooking.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I first had a cooking course with May over 9 years ago behind her restaurant. It was taught fantastic and easy dishes that I use in my daily life. I am currently back in Bangkok, and the restaurant was the first place I went. So glad to see that not only is she still there, but also has a proper air conditioned multi station cooking school and new cook book. I took the making tofu class, which was great. May is a fabulous person to spend the day with, and her classes are fun but packed with information. Highly recommend.

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I had a great afternoon at May Kaidee's cooking school. We learnt over 10 recipes, they were so tasty but simple enough to know that I could easily recreate them back in the UK. No complicated ingredients, and May and her lovely assistant gave us lots of tips for substitutions we could make if certain herbs/vegetables were not available.
I came to the cooking school on my own and joined a small group for the afternoon session (5 of us altogether). It was a fun and friendly afternoon. We had an interesting discussion with May at the end of the class, about food choices, vegetarianism, and health. As a vegetarian it was great to find a cooking school that was consistent with my way of eating, but I would also recommend it to meat-eaters because as we cooked each dish we were told when we would add meat if we were using it.
Highly recommended and really good value! I can't wait to get home and cook these recipes for my friends and family!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

May Kaidee's Cooking School was a fun way to spend a morning!
My girlfriend wanted us to take a course while in Bangkok so we decided on May Kaidee's place.
You'll find the restaurant portion at ground level and the school is on the second floor above however,
It can be hard to find so check the address on your map or call ahead for directions in Thai for your cab driver.
The course my girlfriend took was basic Thai cooking and preparation of staple spices. It was a bit junior for her as she already is a great cook and the "sing along portion" of grinding spices she found a bit juvenile.
I chose a culinary carving lesson rather than the cooking as I don't share the kitchen at home but I can also cook.
I have experience in carving and found the lesson challenging but rewarding! We were all treated to an impromptu Thai dance at the end of the class by May and her assistant which I thought was very entertaining but again my girlfriend did not.
The course was not cheep but was a really nice way to spend a morning! It's also close by Kho San road and other attractions in Bangkok. I think it was fun if not as informative as the knowledgeable may want! (check location before you go)

Reviewed January 15, 2013

From beginning to end my husband and I had a fabulous experience at May Kaidee's cooking school!

We were met by the lovely instructor around 9am at the secondary May Kaidee restaurant, on Sam Sen Road. She took us on a short walk to the main restaurant where the cooking class is conducted. We stopped off to see a lady making the super fine dough for spring rolls where we also sampled a delicious treat of this dough filled with sugar cane (YUMMY!). In the main class we were presented with a booklet full of the recipes we would be making, ten dishes in all! (At this point we realised we should NOT have had any breakfast!) The lovely instructor taught us initially how to make delicious fresh chilli paste, a base for several of the dishes that we would go to cook. We then took it in turns with our cooking partner (take a hubby if possible ;) ) to read the ingredients out whilst the other partner was on the wok side of the action, cooking it all up! Amongst other dishes, we cooked delicious Thai green curry (a standard when in Thailand surely?!), Massaman curry (this was gorgeous), Pad Thai, stir fried vegetables with ginger and cashew nuts, Green papaya salad, Issan, fresh spring rolls (non-deep fried and extremely lovely!) and mango sticky rice. Wow wow wow! A real culinary experience!

The food was fab, the tuition light-hearted but very informative and professional, we sang the famous 'Sap, sap sap sap sap' song, and even did some Thai dancing at the end of the class, and took some photos with everyone. It really was one of the best experiences myself and husband had in Thailand. A MUST DO for any visitor to this fabulous city!! :-D