“Good steak, nice atmosphere”
Review of Rioja Spanish Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Rioja Spanish Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Bangkok
“Good steak, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Very nice, enjoyed myself. The steak was excellent, though probably not what the restaurant is famous for.

Thailand
“Average, Overpriced and desserted!”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Overpriced and low quality
I have been at Rioja's door in two occasions and turned around. The place seemed dark and empty and my rule of thumb tells me that's a no no. But a friend of my husband insisted that I may have walked in at the wrong time because he really liked so we've tried last night. The place was still empty except for one other table. The service is untrained and poor, the food is average and overpriced and the house wine (a recommendation by the owner) was terrible and a rip off. The red wine was old and served chilled!!

Melbourne, Australia
“A shocker.”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We wanted a night off from Thai food and read the positive reviews about Rioja. "We'll give it a try" we thought, "it's even been a consistent performer in Thailand's Best Food awards." So, I'm not sure whether we just got a bad night, but we had a shocker.

We started with a mixed serrano meat platter which was nice although I thought the accompanying bread rolls with tomato smeared on them rather cheap and amateurish. The salmon salad was nice and the special of the night, king prawns, were edible without really being memorable. The real doozy of the night however was the seafood paella. For 900 baht between two, it was an absolute shocker and a right royal rip off - it seemed that the dish was simply just rice cooked in stock with bland, tasteless seafood scattered over the top. It was a sorry excuse for a paella and if I had prepared something like that at home, I would be embarrassed to serve it to anyone. And this cost 900 baht!

With a bottle of wine, our meal cost over 5000 baht. We have fine-dined a lot in Thailand and had amazing food and wonderful dining experiences for the same price or less. You can get so much better... so I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank the_ooi
“Paella Perfection”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Having tried the other much-hyped Spanish restaurant in Bangkok, Tapas Cafe in Silom, and feeling severely underwhelmed with the quality, we were somewhat reluctant to try another. We had a bit of difficulty finding Rioja, but glad we did. The exterior invites you in with its charming patio and the interior, while it can be considered a little 'kitschy' in some regards, is mostly cozy and warm. The staff was quick to greet, seat us and take our order. My wife and I both had a delicious glass of the sangria which was filled with fresh fruit. We then each enjoyed an amazing bowl of gazpacho, which tasted as authentic (if not better) than what we had in our trip to Spain a couple years ago. Now, the paella...wow! We had a meat-lovers paella filled with among other things: chorizo, chicken which was unbelievably tender, mushrooms. The entire dining experience at Rioja was truly one of the best we've had while in Bangkok. Must try!

• Visited February 2011
Bangkok
“A fantastic restaurant in the busy city center”
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I read about this restaurant in an airplane magazine and decided to give a try and didn't regret the decision. The restaurant is conveniently located right off Chid Lom Station of BTS. Once you walk off the main street to the soi you will find the atmosphere so nice and peaceful totally contrast with the typical busy and noisy Bangkok as you generally think of. The food was very good, maybe the most authentic and best tasting tapas in Thailand. Also try their wide variety of Spanish wine selections. We had the tapas, paella, wine and desert (very good souffle) and the total cost was about 2,5xx Baht. Definitely not for an ideal budget meal but totally worth it!! We can't wait to go back again to try their other items...