“good value place in central Bangkok”
Review of Hostel Na Nara

Hostel Na Nara
Ranked #494 of 1,337 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This is good no frills place to stay in downtown Bangkok, room is basic but clean and has everything I needed for comfortable stay. I have to admit I am not Peninsula type so more demanding people may be disappointed. When I travel to destinations like Bangkok I need a place to crash that has AC, some form of Internet, hot water, working toilet and reasonably comfortable bed. All those were present. No noise issues that bothered me. Great proximity to Sky train is a huge plus here. I had minimal interaction with staff and I got the feeling they liked it that way. No problem if you want to bring a good looking guest into your room.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank biomik

Reviewed January 12, 2011

I look back at my stay with Om Yim Lodge with much fondness. I am a very regular visitor to Bangkok and I have finally found a place where I am most at ease...well, almost like a home away from home.

The location is really wonderful... just a stone's throw away from the BTS... and a very nice and quiet location. Staff are helpful, room is clean (and SPACIOUS!), free Wifi and the whole place is clean and well maintained. It's great value for money!

It would be perfect if the hot water in my room is a little hotter than it should be and sometimes the tv reception is a little fuzzy. Also, climbing up flights of steps to your room can literally take your breath away (but not in a good way). If you pay more, you can stay on the lower floor I suppose... less climbing. Also, my room faces a small plot of cemetery BUT the room is not spooky at all.. unlike some other hotels which I have stayed before.

Overall, two big thumbs up from Henry from Singapore.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank eaupourhomme
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Our flight was delayed for one day in Los angeles due to flight cancellation. The airline doesn't give us exactly time of available flight. We did make reservation in advance with Om Yim lodge. So we called and talked to Om Yim about our situation, which we thought we will have to pay for the first night of cancellation. But Om Yim told us not to worry and will give us a credit for the night for the next stay or whenever we arrive. I think this is very accommodated of Om Yim which they can charge us the first night if we stay or not. So we got to Bangkok around 3 am the day after and some one there to let us in our room. Thank you again. The room is very nice and clean. We enjoy our stay and it less than a minute to BTS station which is very convenient. Also with strong signal of Wifi to my laptop in my room for free is a big plus.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I always stay at Om Yim when I am in Bangkok which is 2 or 3 times a year. The staff is friendly and the Hotel is always spotless. The location is great at the bottom of the stairs to Chong Nosi Sky train Station. There are plenty of restaurant and shops near by and Silom and Patpong entertainment area is just around the corner. SIAM , Bangkoks main Shopping Center is 3 Skytrain Stations (10mins) away. The rooms need a bit of refreshing, lighter colours and fresh curtains would not go astray and last centuries big boxy TV's with bad reception had their day. But the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff make up for the shortcomings. Free WiFi is always a bonus for me personally, Breakfast is good and so is the in house resaurant for a quick resonably priced meal

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2010

My 2nd stay here, actually it's due to we got stuck by the valcano ash, and must find somewhere cheap to stay, and that was my mistake to choose here.
The idea is i need to do some standby, but then the people there keep asking each day when will u leave. Each day they try to move us around to different room, oh well it's fine doing that, but just a bit irritated.
Wireless does not work at all, it works yes for some hours, then somethintg wen wrong again and again. the attitude of the stuffs was a bit weird, i know they earn probably not much but they can be better if the work in the front reception, i can't recognize smiling in their faces at all.
The last day we checked out before my friend offered my a place to stay, well i told the hotel 0.5-1 hour too late than thier check-out time, the owner had no flexibility and want to charge me full day for another day. I negotiate and bring it down to 50% charge. My good memory for this place is almost gone, it was not like what it used to be, the kindness, the hospitality, it's weird attitude there. Maybe they are in tough time, but then they put it to guests. Later we moved to Furama Xclusive for another 2 days and the very last night at Banyan Tree, well it's totally different story and we feel more that they treat us better in all the ways.
You get what you pay at Om Yim and even a bit less, pay abit more and stay ex at iResidence or sathorn Inn or in that areas is even cheaper and get more our of your money, sorry that's just my thought.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mattfyr
suchartp, Owner at Hostel Na Nara, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2010

Dear Sir,

I responce to your review I would like to set the record straight. When you made a booking you were told that you would have to move rooms as we had people that had previously booked to look after as well, and you only had to move rooms once. When you checked in you told us that you wanted the room for 5 nights but you were not sure. This is the reason that we were asking you if you wanted to stay another night as we only have 13 rooms and we need to know if we can sell it to someone else if you no longer required it. In the end you checked-out earlier than you had said you would. The day you checked out you told us you wanted to check-out at 6pm. Our check-out time is 12 noon and after 6 pm we do not have any house keeping staff, so if you check-out after 6 pm we would not be able to clean the room and sell it. When people check-out late up to 5 pm we only charge them half of the daily rate. you paid even less than that. You also said the wi-fi doesn't work. During the time you were staying here there was also the problem happening in Bangkok and our internet provider was having trouble being able to do maintenance on their system. Wi-fi at the lodge is a free service we provide for our guests and we try as hard as we can to make the wi-fi work .

Kind regards,
Suchart Phumkhed,
Proprietor

Reviewed May 25, 2010

I travel to bangkok a lot and have finally come across a guest house / hotel that I can now call my home while in Bangkok. the staff are friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. the accomodation is of a good standard, comfortable and very clean. The management of this establishment really have got it right by not ripping off tourists with food, drink, internet and laundry prices, wow this is a first for me.
The food is really tasty and very very reasonable, the internet and wi fi is free for guests and the in house laundry is also reasonably priced giving you no reason to return with dirty laundry.
The location is great for all the bars and sights, I enjoy the 10 minute walk to the gay bars and clubs each evening. The hotel is run by gay management and obviously gay friendly and every one is welcome and accepted, I would recommend this hotel to each and every one what ever your preference.
I used to stay at BBB Inn but no more, as I have found a better alternative and service with a smile which always helps make your stay more comfortable.
I would fully recommend this hotel for single travellers and couples a like, its not 5 star luxury but you wont be disappointed for the value and service that you will receive.
Well done to the management and staff at Om Yim Lodge, please keep up the good work and service as it really is appreciated.
Michael
London

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael666
Reviewed January 18, 2010

When I first started to go to Bangkok 15+ years ago I was able to stay in some fairly up-market hotels - and yes, it can be nice to have doormen salute you every time you leave and staff to lay your towel out on your poolside chair before you park your backside.

I no longer stay in such hotels, first because they seem to have got a lot more expensive in relative terms (including the £/Baht conversion rate) and second because I have realised there really is no need.

You don't go to Bangkok to stay in a hotel room, therefore, who cares if you can turn off all the lights from a panel beside the bed? Om Yim has everything a traveller would need., except perhaps a pool, but you can live without that for a few days. It was cosy, clean, very well connected via the skytrain network and friendly. On top of that the place is very good value for money for the capital city (and I stayed in the largest room on the top floor).

I am already booked to stay again when I return to Bangkok in May and even with the myriad of choices available at all prices in the city, I will be very content to return to Om Yim.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo