“Cheap and cheerful”

Gai Tod Jae Gee (Polo Chicken)
Ranked #3,418 of 11,177 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I am a little biased as this place is on the corner of my street.
But I think the chicken is not as good as it used to be. The real trick is to get some that is fresh. Because its popular they cook a lot in advance and it is often a bit dry by the time you get.
But when its fresh its great.
Their Larb Gai is excellent too.

There are newer reviews for Gai Tod Jae Gee (Polo Chicken)

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Forget KFC while you are in Bangkok. It's Jae Gee's (Older Sister Gee) that you must go for the best fried chicken in town. The chicken has crispy skin with succulent, tasty meat inside. The most irresistible thing is the deep fried garlic that comes plenty on it. They serves North Eastern Thai foods here so you must go for Som Tum (Papaya Salad) and Nua Namtok (Spicy Beef Salad). A place not to be missed by fried chicken lovers while in Bangkok.

Reviewed December 12, 2010

After a long week, I found myself needing something different. A meal that would be saturated with the love and the care of a truly passionate cook. My hunger pains were distinct in nature - they would not be satisfied by a 7 course set menu, 2 bottles of wine, and forgettable petit fours. I needed some food to fill the heart. I needed to eat something that carried tradition and the pride of generations, something that was easily understood but difficult to teach. Today, I wanted soul food.

I thumbed my way through the pages of multiple books and made a cursory glance at the net - Gai Tod Jae Gee stood out, an Isaan fried chicken and som tam restaurant. Northeastern Thais and Americans share a shared affection for fried chicken and pork when they need a pick me up - and endearing similarity. The thoughts of a homestyle Isaan lunch cooked by someone who could truly work with the ingredients immediately primed my palate.

The restaurant is located down Soi Sanam Klee - near the American embassy. A quarter of the way down on the left is an air-conditioned dining room. The kitchen is actually another few shops down the block.

We were sure to order half a chicken as well as 2 styles of larb, som tam Thai, pork shoulder, and Isaan sausage (sai grog). I was impressed by how quickly everything arrived.

The chicken did not live up to the hype. Although encased in crispy fried garlic, it was nothing impressive. It was meekly spiced and was a poor match with the other more animated larb dishes. The thicker sections seemed overcooked and dry as well.

The larb dishes were well done but did not stand out from clamoring crowd of similar dishes in Bangkok. They would be easily had for half the price at many other restaurants.

Sai grag was a very bland disappointment. A very savory and fatty sausage but poorly salted and under spiced.

Som tam was so-so. It appeared to lack tamarind and was heavy on the lime juice. The dish was not spicy as some had claimed but this may have been due to me being a caucasian and the service's honest (but stereotypical) assumptions.

The bill came out to around 600 baht, an expensive meal under the above conditions.

Having walked away and had my fill, both my girlfriend and I came to the shared conclusion that we were not impressed. In callous honesty, this place seems to be getting by on past accolades. Perhaps in years past, full attention and passion were involved with the cooking. It is hard to judge what may have happened; perhaps the owners decided to make their enterprise more 'profit-savvy' or maybe they lost their culinary talent. Having only skimmed the surface of the restaurant, I can only make assumptions. But, without a doubt, my meal was low on soul and hard on the wallet.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Not the best papaya sald in Bkk. Salty chicken

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed June 23, 2008

dropping quality on the chicken, a bit soaky .

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook