“Home-made meals with attitude”

Greyhound Central Chidlom
Ranked #664 of 11,626 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I've eaten at Greyhound since it opened at the Emporium and later at Central Chidlom. They serve the kind of food that you might find if you pull your friend out of bed at 3 AM and asked him/her to cook something for you. The dishes have this home-cooked feel about them with adequate quality in ingredient while the service reflects your friends' being woken up at 3 AM. The waiters behave with unmistakable air of superiority at both branches. About ten years ago, at the Emporium branch, I arranged to have a bouquet of beautiful lilies sent to the restaurant which I intended to retrieve later and give to my future wife. When the important moment arrived to give the flowers with the introduction speech already made, I learned that whoever was in charge screwed up massively and has given it to someone else. No apology. Needless to say, I don't go back there if I can help it. This is one of the few things I don't forget.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

A friend raved about it so we thought we'd give it a try even though they won't take our reservation. After a 20 minute wait, which we spent reading the menu and making our selection, we were brought to our table. It was packed but we wasted no time and ordered.

We ordered the pasta of the month which was a fusion of hawker style stewed duck with pasta. Delicious. A good marriage of a popular local fare with Italian pasta. We finished it in record time and wished for more. The much talked about "complicated noodle" was interesting but did not test the skill of the chef. The salads (we ordered two) were not too bad but not something I would queue 20 minutes for. Then came dessert.

I love the sticky rice with mango. You get this dish everywhere in Thailand. The homemade coconut sherbet made the difference here. I would go back and queue half an hour just to taste this again. We also ordered the mixed berry sundae and the Lod Chong. All of outstanding quality.

All in, this is a good place to come after a day of shopping or to satisfy your craving for your favourites. They have hits and misses but if you already know what you like, go and just zoom in to your favourites. I will, again and again.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I lived right down the street from Central Chidlom and did a lot of my shopping there, so whenever I got hungry, I hopped over to Greyhound. The dishes were consistently good. There was a good variety, too. Many different types of cuisine graced the pages of the menu but my favorites always remained the pastas. I also highly recommend the Iced Lemon Tea (with frozen lemon tea ice cubes) and the Bubble Sour (lemon ice cubes with ginger ale, kind of like a fizzy lemonade) for beverages. I recommend going upstairs to Greyhound, getting a spot on the waiting list (since there usually is one), then shopping around a bit before going to eat. Greyhound is a popular restaurant for the locals. Go and see why!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

It used to be that this local outfit was a bit of an outlier price wise. It was one of the early adopters of the 10% service + tax malarky that has unfortunately turned Bangkok from a cheap place to eat into regular international city prices, time though and a judicious lack of prices rises have meant that it's no longer such an stand out. I'm a regular visitor to this branch as well as those at J Avenue Thonglor and my favored locale the Emporium.

The queues at both Central and the Emporium are habitually problematic which in itself tells a story. The food choices are varied but with a tilt towards the healthy and cosmopolitan - I typically plump for the Caesar Salad or for a change French Onion Soup or the Singaporean Chicken Rice. My wife enjoys the Thai options and my son can't get enough of the pasta. I've only recently discovered the fruity shaky yoghurt and am so, so glad I did - totally excellent...

The crowd reflects the menu's and the locations and as such we're talking well healed locals, expats, the cognoscenti and the glitterati - the people watching is almost as delicious as the food!!

Only criticism would be the service which can get patchy when they are overloaded, but off peak I'd swear that they start making my salad as I walk in...

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I visited the greyhound at Emporium. Food is good and value for money. The place was very full when I visited (around 8:30pm Sat night) so expect to have to wait for a table if no reservations made.

1  Thank aveave1