“Just Perfect!!”

Park Plaza Sukhumvit Bangkok
Ranked #121 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Great location and very nice and new hotel with plenty of amenities! Amazing value for money!! We would definitely go back to this hotel if we stay in Bangkok again. The staff was also very friendly and helpful.
Before I went I read the reviews and I also suggest printing out a map of the hotel as many Taxis don't know it because it's pretty new. You have also a 24 hour supermarket just 2 blocks away and 100 meters from the Skytrain, which for us was the best way to travel around Bangkok without traffic!

I would also definitely recommend going to The Dome Restaurants downtown, it's is something you have never seen before.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mumis
There are newer reviews for Park Plaza Sukhumvit Bangkok

Reviewed September 6, 2008

We decided on this hotel after quite alot of research and this hotel had consistantly good reviews. We fancied Siam@siam but it was booked up and this was our second choice.
It should have been our first!, Trust me if your reading this and not sure, please go. You wont be dissapointed!
We didnt stub our toe on the bathroom, the slippers, robes and large sun parasol are a nice touch but we didnt try to take them!
And yes the only design flaw is the previously mentioned shower, but this is minimal compared to the the other benefits.
The room is exactly as it appears on the hotel website, immaculatelty clean and modern, the comfiest bed ever, well stocked bar and large fridge, powerful rain shower and large enough for a seated bench,a flat sreen t.v and lots of storage for cases and clothes ; the hotel is 3 minutes from both the skytrain and subway stations.
The hotel pool was brilliant,it was always really quite on the rooftop and the water was lovely, just what you need after a hectic day in bangkok! The majority of staff speak english well and were very helpful arranging taxis , they also kept our luggage at the hotel for 4 days after we checked out while we went down to Hau Hin, and on our return didnt charge us a penny!

Turn left out of the hotel and you will hit the stations of Asoke and Sukhumvit, great for getting to lots of key places in and around bangkok, although to be honest the taxis are really cheap anyway, but we wanted to experience as much as possible.If you turn left at the station you are on sukhumvit road, and you will find everything you could want or need along here.

Tip..
There is a lovely and unusual resteraunt at soi12 off sukhumvit Rd, cabbages and condoms! Really good food and prices.

We stayed here for 4 nights and really cant find fault with the place, especially as you would pay more than double for a comparitive hotel anywhere else.
Its not far from the westin and the landmark and to be honest I would pay the park plaza price and stay here again even if we had a higher budget.
It is also obvious they have read previous reviews because there are more free snack choices in the lounge, level 2 for complimentary coffee and snacks and there are more loungers by the pool area, there are lots of small details that make this htoel excellent value for money and I would recommend it to anyone!

3  Thank BoltonMonkeyfish
Reviewed September 6, 2008

It was my first time to go to bangkok by myself and I booked this hotel through a travel agency after reading comments in Trip Advisor. The hotel was much better than I expected.
The location of the hotel was good. It took around 45 minutes to get there from the airport and around 2 minutes to BTS Asok station. The staff there were nice and friendly. The room was pretty. It made my trip a memorable one.

2  Thank little_peg
Reviewed September 4, 2008

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Phoenixboi
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My review will pretty much be like the rest. However, this goes to show how consistent the hotel is good and bad.

First the good:

Pre-paid through the hotel website and got a standard room for $65 a night plus the taxes and fees. GREAT VALUE!

Great location near the ASOK skytrain station.

Two free computers with high speed in the lobby.

Nice 24 hour (Who else does this?!) lounge with free sugared juices and free bottled mineral water on request. and snacks.

Restaurant is spendy like all hotels, but food is fresh and very good and again, 24 hours!

Nice small pool on the roof.

Nice room with fantastic bed.

Nice rain forest shower.
Clean and quiet room. Heard very little traffic noise.

All lights and controls at bedside.

Very friendly and helpful staff.

Now the bad:
Make sure you have the hotel's phone number for the taxi to call when he can't find the hotel.

Not much of a lobby.

The shower leaks water into the bathroom. This is a pain and is unacceptable. There is a drain outside the shower to catch the water, so it must have been expected. Can't figure out why it was designed like this.

Nice soft touch light controls. HOWEVER, when my wife would get up at night to go to the bathroom, she would hit the "Do Not Disturb" switch and turn it off and hit the "Make Up Room" switch which is directly under the bathroom light switch by mistake. Luckily I caught it every time when getting up myself. Poor design again.

What's with the bathroom being lower than the room? Even the hotel's public bathroom is the same way.

No travel desk. They have a list of tours with the prices but no descriptions. The worse part though? I booked the canal/rice barge tour for 1450 Baht each. That night while at the Rembrandt hotel for dinner I stopped by their tour desk. The same tour was only 800 Baht each! When I told the hotel agent to cancel my tour they came back and said the tour company would not cancel it because it was to late because it was for the next morning. I reminded the agent to tell the tour company I hadn't paid yet.
The worst offense though?

My credit card receipt was handed to me to sign converted to dollars without asking. The receipt states this is done by the hotel and I agree to the charge of not exceeding 2.5% commission for the exchange and the listed rate. I told them I wanted to pay in Baht and so they canceled out the receipt and gave me a new one. My Capitol One card has no conversion fee and I saved $10.00. They need to ask before trying this tricky method.

So my overall rating? I usually stay at nicer hotels like the Peninsula or Sheraton. However, this time I was on a budget. For the price of the hotel and nice rooms I would stay here again if I need to stay under $100 a night. The good points out weigh the bad points in my opinion. I am writing to Carlson Companies about the credit card charge though.

2  Thank bpdogs