“Room for improvement”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A nice garden in a quiet lateral alley, palatable food and overwhelming service.... so far so good. Just a pity that it took 20 minutes to have our beverages (in the heat of Bangkok it's like 6 hours) and another 20 minutes for the meals.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The was one of "the spots" to eat back in the 90's when we lived there. The pressed duck is still outstanding. This trip we were the only ones in the restaurant and it was heartbreaking, as the charm, service and food was still outstanding.

1  Thank OverNextHorizon
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This review had been posted and subsequently removed from Tripadvisor and I am posting it again.

We had arranged a private lunch for 14 and, as such, the menu choices were limited which should have made it easier for the kitchen staff. The cold appetizers were fair at best as were the soups. After we finished our appetizers it took them over 30 minutes to bring the entrees. In fact one of our group never received his full meal. There was a universal observation that the plates and the food was not hot. The beef I ordered was advertised as "Australian Beef aged150 days." It was some of the worst I have had in many years. Tough and tasteless, yellow fat ran thoughout a very thin piece of what was to have been a rib steak. The side dishes were cold. I was going to send my meal back to be re-heated but feared I would never see it again. One of our group put his experience in more elequnet terms:

"This establishment proudly claims to serve classic french cuisine with the signature dish of duck a la presse authenticated by an ancient duck press.This contraption has been dignifying various eateries in Bangkok for a good few years and serially passed down by generations of failed enterprises.A better use would be as a stop to keep the fridge door firmly closed as my pre-prandial Heineken was more than a trifle on the warm side.An ominous sign indeed as the overwhelming combination of tepidly warm drinks and ferociously cool food could be blamed upon the deployment of the dreaded duck press.

My first course of classic french onion soup was unremarkable.The onions had been coarsely chopped as opposed to sliced. A large gloopy golf ball sized lump of mozzarella languishing at the base of the soup bowl."

I will not give Le Colombe d'Or another chance nor could I recommend that anyone darken their door. An overall dreadful experience.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Being a regular traveller to Paris and always taking every opportunity to enjoy visiting the traditional french restaurants, it was a delight to find a comparable restaurant hidden away on Soi 8 of Sukhumvit in Bangkok. Whilst proving difficult to find initially, the resaurant proved to be well worth finding. My son and I enjoyed a meal in perfect surroundings. The ambiance was relaxing, the food was excellent, and the staff were attentive and very pleasant.
I look forward to having another opportunity to enjoy other alternatives on their interesting and varied menu.

2  Thank John G
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This used to be an outstanding establishment prior to the fire which burned down the formerly named Le Banyan. Since it was rebuilt, it is now completely run by Thai people. The former French chef and French host of Le Banyan are both no where to be found now. The following is what I perceive to be the pro's and con's of this restaurant -
Pro's -
1. The menu is the same as before and it's distinct and good. The rack of lamb is still delicious. And the same goes for the terrine and the chocolate mousse; all superb.
2. The Thai hostesses are extremely pleasant and outgoing. You can tell they are trying to do their very best for you.
3. The ambiance of this restaurant is dark but quaint and charming. I find it an extremely romantic environment to bring a date to.
Con's -
1. The restaurant staff does not speak English. This can be problematic when seeking advise and/or giving instructions. Luckily my Thai date could translate my comments and instructions to the staff.
2. The staff, while diligent and anxious to please, works extremely slow. There was lots of down time between the courses. If seemed to be the same for the other parties as well.

Overall, I would visit this restaurant again; the food and ambiance is that good.

1  Thank jazsacher