“Centara Grand at Central World, Bangkok”

Centara Grand at CentralWorld
Ranked #106 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 14, 2012

We stayed at the Centara Grand in Bangkok for 2 nights in early July 2011 to end our 2 week trip in Kok Samui.
Wow what a hotel !
When we arrived we were told that the hotel had olny been open just over a year.
Geat views out over Bangkok and the Bar on the top floor (52nd floor I believe) is well worht a visit.
The hotel food and drinks ar not exactly cheap but we wasnt really expeting it to be.
The hotel is however close to many shopping places, including the Central world Shoping centre which has a good choice of Resteraunts.
All in all I was extremely impressed and if anyone is looking for luxury whiolst in Bangkok i would suggest this place for sure.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank 85MANC
There are newer reviews for Centara Grand at CentralWorld

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed briefly in Bangkok after a three week holiday in New Zealand . We had been upgraded by our Travel Agent to compensate for a minor error on our booking, so don't know how much it cost . Great location if you like shopping (I'm not a shopper so didn't venture into the mall). Public rooms were lovely . Room (on 34th floor) was fine and quiet but nothing special ;bathroom spacious and great shower. Breakfast was good and we were so tired we 'ate in' at an Indonesian buffet on the Saturday night which was excellent and good value. However I suspect the room hadn't been checked before our 2am arrival-the hairdryer was missing and there was no card explaining how the TV worked (my husband insists on catching the news wherever he is) .Tea/coffee are free but milk had to be paid for and they weren't good at replenishing supplies either .Trivial things, but not what you expect in a 5*. But the staff were charming and helpful
My gripe is the drinks we had at the rooftop Red Sky Bar - £14, even in Happy Hour, for the 2 weakest gin and tonics I've ever tasted . We complained politely and they 'refreshed' our drinks but it made little difference .The American at the next table made a point of coming over as he left to agree with us-we concurred fabulous view, but be aware that's what you are paying for!

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Fantastic location next to Paragon and above Central World malls, this 4-star hotel is also a stone's throw away from Pratunaum clothes mall and Siam Square shopping district. Lots of street food and restaurant options abound though not many 24-hour or late night ones. The nearest convenience store is about 10mins walk away. The skytrain station is also 10mins walk away. Regular rooms are small but comfortable.But the suite quite is quite amazing.

Once from my room, I also witnessed the peaceful 'red shirt protests' happening right below along the main road. It clogged up the main artery road for a few hours and was a sight to behold.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the main road for a fantastic view and trade up to a suite if you can afford...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Great location for shopping! We love coming to Bangkok for the shops, and this hotel is within walking distance to Siam paragon, central world, mbk, platinum mall ; to name a few. We booked a world executive club room which was located on the 49th floor. Views from our room were absolutely stunning. complimentary fruit basket was nice, and we were given a free bottle of champagne. Free wifi and free access to the club lounge on the 51st floor was a bonus! Club lounge offered awesome views, free snacks and drinks round the clock, they even had free alcohol in the evening: all with great service and a smile!

The staff on the club lounge floor were very attentive and even wished my husband a happy birthday as he was walking in the corridor. Totally unexpected. We were even more surprised when a cute little birthday cake was left in our room after we returned from dinner!!!

Breakfast was extensive, we had the choice of the club lounge breakfast or the one for all guests on the 23rd floor. Variety was huge, but the down side is that nothing tasted good, everything was just okay. We've stayed in other five star hotels in Thailand and centara grands breakfast menu/chefs have a lot of room for improvement.

Hotel staff were lovely on the 51st floor, we were offered a complimentary Late check out and free access to the club lounge until we needed to leave for the airport in the late arvo.

All in all, great hotel.

7  Thank Lauryn_Sydney
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a genuine 5 star hotel with facilities and service to match. It receives my normal criticism as wi-fi is expensive but there is nothing else to complain about. The rooms are excellent, the service is excellent, the swimming pool is fantastic for a city centre hotel. It's location is attached to the huge Central World shopping centre but it is a little walk to the Skytrain but no big deal.The area near the hotel is a shopper's paradise, bad for me but good for my wife! Entrance to the hotel rooms is by 2 lifts which is slightly strange but nothing to worry about.The restaurants are not cheap but they are surprisingly good value for money because the food is excellent.

7  Thank John T
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Location wise, the hotel is perfect for shopping since it's attached to Centralworld and within walking distance to other shopping complexes and train stations. The hotel is clean and the service is good. I was upgraded to Executive Floor at level 44, as the hotel was full so the skyline view is impressive. The drawback probably is that the reception is at the 23rd floor and you have to change lift to go to your room as there is no direct lift from the ground floor.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor if possible so that less noise from the traffic and better Bangkok view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two nights as a business trip. I did not use the bar or restaurant at the top floor which was evaluated as "worth to visit," however, I felt this hotel was a good option to enjoy bangkok. As to breakfast, I think there is no problem for taste and variety even for US, European and Asian including Japanese. They serve American such as bacon, sausage, omlet and scramble egg, and also Chinese such as dumpling. Of course, some kinds of bread, salad and five kinds of juice. All of them are acceptable.
As to the place, the hotel is in the huge complex mall Central World. Tha mall is really huge, even compared with American malls. Because the hotel is connected to the mall directly through the convention center at 23th floor, we do not have to go out of the hotel. As you know, Thai is so hot, but we do not sweat if we stay in the mall. this is one of the advantage for staying this hotel I was personally impressed by the restaurant floor. I had no time to try the restaurant but I really wanted to try some of them, especially Thai one. The mall also has "Isetan" Japanese department stoor. Isetan sells delicious Japanese food at the suparmarket floor (maybe 4th or 5th floor), so you can buy some appetizers there and bring them to the hotel for a small party. The mall also has movie theaters which opens until 1:00am and also ice skating link. Finally, the hotel was just for sleeping for me, but the bath is quite clear and wide. I am sure people can enjoy bath time also. One thing I would advise, Thai taxi drivers cannot under stand english, so if you go out by taxi, you should prepare for returning to the hotel with the assistance of hotel staff. I asked the hotel staff to write the destination on paper in Thai langage, from hotel to the destinations including the same hotel for return. I would return to this hotel if I visit thailand on business. I hope this would be helpful for the Thai visitors.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business