“Perfect execution of a cuisine from half a world away!”

Chesa Swiss Restaurant
Ranked #219 of 11,055 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect execution of a cuisine from half a world away!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

In a town that so often struggles to get any Western food right, Chesa does it effortlessly with a cuisine that is about as foreign to Thailand as is possible. Food, service and atmosphere were all spot on. We had two dishes, cheese fondue (vacherin and gruyere) and mussels in the usual wine, garlic and cream broth. Both were delicious and prepared in the customary way with none of the strange omissions or modifications that restaurants here seem inclined to make. It was a refreshing change to not be disappointed or surprised when the plates arrived! Prices are slightly lower than what one would pay in the West but if you're expecting bowl-of-noodles-cheap, check prices on their site first. These are expensive dishes anywhere and considering that all main ingredients are imported, prices really are good. Portions were neither large nor small.

Atmosphere was very comfortable: subdued lighting, cushy seats, cloth tablecloths and napkins. Service was attentive but staff didn't hover. My only (trifling) suggestion would be for staff and owner to smile a bit.

Overall, this was a great dining experience with properly prepared food and atmosphere that Westerners expect at a reasonable price.

• Visited January 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great company”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I have to say I love this place! What a great restaurant. This place has never let me down. They do fantastic Sunday brunch with a reasonable price too! I must to say I went there probably couple times a month. Lovely

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb cordon bleu but pricy”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The food is good and pretty close to what is available in Switzerland itself. Love Cordon bleu here , isn't that greasy but still cheesy. Yet , the restaurant is quite pricy. The service is good but the waiters ask short form questions which sometimes is hard to understand.

Visited July 2012
Winterthur, Switzerland
“not how Switzerland really should be represented!”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I were travelling through Asia for couple of weeks and we wanted to spoil ourselves with delicious swiss food.
We are from switzerland and we really looked forward. But...

I made reservation by E-Mail. We were greeted by one of the owners, but not with our names, just as we were random guests. And not himself was bringing us to the table, one of his thai staff did. The only time he showed up was, when we had a look at the menu. He rudly was asking if we are ready to order drinks. We answered no and he returned just, if we would usually study the food menu first, before we order drinks?
I was a bit perplex and he had gone his way and never showed up at our table again.
Couple of minutes later, an other couple (german/thai) came and sat next to us. All of a sudden, Another owner came to them and greeted them personally, and during dinner he came to them for asking if everything is okay. We never experienced that. We also had the thought, that only guests are treated well who leave a lot of money there. We didnt because we were a little on the budget.
Anway. We ordered Fondue Chinoise as it is a typical swiss dish as we know it from home.
First off, we had a salad which was soaked in french dressing. Then the Fondue came:
The fries were served 5 minutes before the meat and got cold. And the meat itself was awful. Really bad quality. Sinewy and tasteless. And what we missed most was the vegetables for the broth. Usually it is served with this special dish, not here. We were really disappointed. After we have finished the food, no one seemed to be interessted in cleaning our table, so were sitting in front of our plates quite a while. As the staff came to clean, she was asking if we would like some soup out of the broth. Normally you get this at the end of the dish, if you had any vegetables for it. We refused and ordered the bill instead.
The owners never showed up to the table for asking if the food or service was good, and now I know why, because it isnt.
The ambiente is nice, but the food, service and the politeness is really not worth o come again. As a Swiss I would not reconmend the restaurant. If you are a foreigner and never had been to Switzerland it is a nice experience. I think the owners are anyway more interessted in foreign rich families, like Thai, Chinese or Korean, who eat a lot and spend lots of money! Thats the only way you get attention from the owners. How sad!

2 Thank Buntsch
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent experience in the heart of Bangkok!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I went here on the Friday before Christmas with a friend who had been before. Overall it was an excellent evening. Some people have reviewed this as fine dining - I don't see it that way! For me, classic Swiss food is really mountain food or even peasant food! The sort of hearty meaty cheesy Faye that keeps the blood pumping up in the mountains. It's usually quite simple. My pal and I shared a Raclette to start - what can be more simple, cheese potatoes a few mushrooms and pickles - all very good and tasty. We then went on to our mains, for me Veal Cordon Bleu, for my mate, Veal Zurich Style. All very good. Washed down with a bottle or two of Chasselas and then a decent Pinot Noir selected for us by Rene. The two owners were excellent and convivial hosts, the service attentive but unobtrusive and the ambience fun. And all at a reasonable price. I will go here again when next in Bangkok and recommend it to all who like simple hearty food in a relaxed atmosphere. Very enjoyable.