“Honest, qualified, unbiased review”

Sunrise Tacos Mexican Grill - Sukhumvit 13
Ranked #618 of 11,174 Restaurants in Bangkok
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: This location is Margarita Storm powered by Sunrise Tacos. Open 24 hours a day with Sunrise Tacos Mexican restaurant classics along with a Margarita Storm menu serving American and International cuisine. Happy Hours 7 am to 7 pm. 99 Baht pints and all you can eat tacos on Tuesday and Friday between 2 pm and 7 pm
Reviewed February 16, 2013

First of all, I'm not a competitor, nor do I know anyone here or have any motive to bash this place other than to warn honest people like myself who want an honest review. I lived in Los Angeles for 40 years and frequented authentic Mexican restaurants on both sides of the border so I think I am more than qualified to review the food.

I sat down and ordered an iced tea in Thai and the waitress answered me in fluent English that she didn't understand so I thought that was a good start. I told her I was in a hurry and asked her what she recommended that was fast.

She recommended a 3 taco special with rice and beans which I said would be fine. Then she asked if I wanted extra sour cream or guacamole. Now to someone fluent in English this infers that the meal comes with sour cream and guacamole so I told her I didn't want the sour cream and that she if could bring guacamole instead that would be great.

Complaint #1- When the meal arrived, the guacamole was in a separate little bowl, not on the plate, so I thought she would charge me for it. Bad business, I thought to myself, the waitress had been deceptive. (and yes, it was on the bill)

Complaint #2 - The rice was made with Thai rice. (anyone who knows Mexican food will laugh)

Complaint #3 - The black beans were undercooked and not good

Complaint #4 - The taco ground meat was not indiscernible as such and was very similar to the stuff you find in the tacos Taco Bell (not good at all)

Complaint #5 - The hard shell on the tacos tasted like the ones we find at home on the supermarket shelves (again, not good)

Complaint #6 - The cheese was difficult to access due to the fact that there was not enough of it on the tacos to even taste

Complaint #7 - The price!!! I was in a hurry and knew I would never be back to this place so I just paid the bill and left. I won't publish the price here but just for reference, a local Thai person can have a nice filling meal with a drink and food for about 1/8 the price. That's right you read it correctly, about 1/8 the price, so you can do the math.

show36, Owner at Sunrise Tacos Mexican Grill - Sukhumvit 13, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Jim: Thanks for visiting Sunrise Tacos and for taking the time to review us. Sunrise Tacos has been breaking records and winning hearts for 6 years now, so I was surprised and sorry to hear that you had a bad experience us. As you can see from the vast majority of the other HONEST and UNBIASED reviews, most people have really positive experiences with us, in regards to both food and service. Maybe you should give us another chance to win you over so you can join our legion of loyal guests who just keep coming back.

I would just like to respond to some of your points:

Our staff is one of the main reasons we have so many repeat guests and their intent is always to PLEASE not DECEIVE. It is clearly written in the menu we charge extra for guacamole as Avocados are over 100 baht now in the stores. Most of our guests are aware that “extra sour cream or guacamole” means that will come at an additional cost. While guacamole may grow on trees, unfortunately, the money which is required to pay for it doesn't.

Our Mexican chef (or an online search) will quickly confirm that Sunrise Tacos gets its rice from the same place restaurants and supermarkets in Mexico do – Thailand! Yes, that’s right. As the world’s top exporter of rice, Thailand supplies Mexico with a large portion of the long grain rice that is consumed at Mexican diner tables every day. I’ll bet you didn't know that Jim!

As far as our prices our concerned, I must concede that you are correct: eating Thai food at a street stall is 1/8 the price of a meal at Sunrise Tacos. And a 1974 Dodge Dart is 1/100 the price of a Ferrari. So what’s your point?

As you know, you get what you pay for. Sunrise Tacos uses imported cheese, makes all of its flour and corn tacos by hand, and serves generous portions.

What’s more, our satisfied guests come from all over the world, including Mexico, Texas and California. And while opinions may differ, at Sunrise Tacos we believe that every opinion counts – even yours, Jim! But just because your pallet is different that doesn't mean that your opinion is superior.

Seriously though, Jim, we would love you to give us a second chance to win you over and one of our 8 branches in Thailand. Just let me know when you plan to come by, and I’ll personally see to it that you have a great experience on the house. Hope to see you soon!

Owner
Sunrise Tacos

There are newer reviews for Sunrise Tacos Mexican Grill - Sukhumvit 13

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Sunrise Tacos situated in the terminal 21 shopping centre provides excellent authentic Mexican cuisine at a affordable price. Far out-does any Mexican I've tried in Perth, Australia. Very friendly staff and special compliments to our helpful waiter Eric Pamisa.

Thanks for the five star review! The Terminal 21 location is one of our favorites, such a fun place and great ambiance. I will be sure and pass your praise on to Eric, I know how much the staff appreciate it when their hard work and training pays off with recognition. Chef Luis will also be happy to hear that you like his recipes, many of them from his mother back in his hometown in Mexico. Be sure and try some of our other locations like the main restaurant, with a great people watching terrace on Sukhumvit soi 12 or our latest location conveniently located on Silom Soi 4.

( Owner)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

pretty good mexican to be found here, I usually never stray far from the classic hard shell taco...this restaurant has two branches of which I'm aware of...one near Nana and one in the Emporium shopping complex. I like the one in the Emporium more though esspecially since the cinema is so nearby. Hmmm I'd recommend giving the something cinamon horchata drink a try, if you got a sweet tooth otherwise the mexican menu here is pleasing and the service is great.

Ben: The cinnamon horchata is one of our chef's specialties. Chef Luis likes to introduce in different things to the menu from time to time and the more non-mainstream items seem to be quite popular.

We have quite a few branches now, one on Sukhumvit Soi 12, another in the new Terminal 21, the Emporium branch you visited, Siam Paragon and we have a new one on Silom Soi 4 for people on that side of town. We offer the same great menu and food at all our branches, so be sure and pop in if you are in the neighborhood.

( Owner)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

After having lived in California, USA near Mexican boarder for years, I've come to know good Mexican food in my time. It's hard to get the same taste and quality in Mexican foods in Asia as in Southern California. But Sunrise Tacos does the job. I've been coming here every visit to BKK in the past 3 years. The burritos are outstanding....fresh ingredients are used. Now they have a cool outdoor seating which is nice in the evenings.

show36, Owner at Sunrise Tacos Mexican Grill - Sukhumvit 13, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Hi RollingLucky

I will be sure and pass on your five star praise to our Chef Luis, he is very proud of the many recipes he uses from his hometown in Mexico and others that he has picked up from around the country. The burrito is one of our most popular dishes, I hope you tried the salsa bar which offers different kinds of fresh made salsas and all levels of heat. The outdoor seating area is a great people watching place and one many of our guests enjoy using. Glad to hear you drop in on a regular basis, thanks for the review!

(Owner)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

When im visiting my wife in thailand on my 1 yr visits, I been coming to sunrise taco since 2007 open all night and when you start feeling home sick and missing good mexican food this is the place to stop in, always clean even at 4 am the staff are friendly always greeted well, the best thing is smelling the food and then the hard part "what to order" chicken burrito is my usual choice with nice grilled slices of chicken well sized good sauces to choose from whole bottles sitting at the table making every bite even better, you can never go wrong eating here love it and keep up the good work will see you in a few months coming back in april save me a table :)

show36, Owner at Sunrise Tacos Mexican Grill - Sukhumvit 13, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thats great to hear that the staff are still going strong at 4 a.m.! It is a great after hours place with some of the best people watching in the city. Many of our guests agree that this is the best place to go after a night out for a hangover cure. Mexican food taste great anytime but even better then. The chicken burritos are a favorite, alot of people really like the barbacoa too, you should give that a try in April. The table is saved!

(Owner)