“Worst than terrible...”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Hotelier myself and based in Thailand, I am always trying to be positive even when I am in front of a challenging as well negative experience, however as a professional in this industry, I really want to attract the attention of the valued readers of Trip Advisor about this place.

I had the habit since the opening of Thang Long to have a good time there but yesterday was one of the worst dining experiences I had since a very long time. Yesterday was Loy Krathong, a kind of important celebration in Thailand and Thai people and I really want to celebrated it with my partner (Thai national) for dinner.
As soon we passed the entrance, we had the strong feeling of not beeing welcomed as well in a way to bother the people working there.
The lightning was extremely poor and it was very hard to see the dining room, I realize after a while the music was always the same and most probably on repeat mode. A kind of lounge/techno music who to be honest was not really matching with the concept of the restaurant. I know that all of us have our own music taste but after a while it came annoying even boring.
We ordered several dishes for this dinner and most of the dishes arrived only few minutes after passing the order. As a result and mentioned on previous reviews, most of them were cold and no point to ask them to warm them up as it will be probably ruined them.
We ordered two smoothies (one lychee and one cantaloupe) and we had the bitter surprise to realize that it was syrup and not fresh or even canned fruits instead...
Taste wise, most of our dieshes were plain and we had to add several sauces including with chilli to get a kind of taste in our mouth...
The room became quickly filled with large tables of guests and it became embarassing to communicate between us as we had the feeling to be in a vulgar cheap staff canteen as it was so noisy and not appropriated in a such intimate place.
Staff were running out as it was busy, without any smile, eye contact and total lack of organization...
Quite already disappointed by it we decided to asked for the check bill and to enjoy the rest of our evening somewhere else.
I had the surprise to read on the check bill that I was charged for two small bottles of drinking water as well a kind of basket of green veggies already displayed on each table before the arrival of any guest.
As mentioned previously on this review I am an hotelier myself and when an hotelier/restaurateur decides to display something such water or snack on each table for guest, it means it is complimentary or a kind of appreciation gesture to the valued customer. If it is not the case, well the minimum basic is to inform each guest using them that these items are not complimentary.
I do not think I am cheap or even griddy but without any proper explaination from the staff about it, I requested to talk to the manager of the restaurant, a Thai national gentleman arrived to our table, in sport short "Champion" style and throw on our faces:
"I don't know what wrong with you guys...."
Quite surprised by a such poor, unappropriated and so unprofessional behavior as well attitude, I requested to the gentleman to mind in language and to call me "Sir or Mister instead". His reply was: "Should I call you girls???"
I do not think so that any decent person will accept such arrogant and stupid reply, I did prefer not to reply to avoid to make the situation worst, we paid and left, however before leaving I kindly inform this gentleman that I will personally make sure that customers knows about our experience and his reply was a kind of "I do not care and please most welcome to do it..."
In reply to his challenge, I decided to write this review and to make sure such behavior and attitude are knows.

We felt really hurted even humiliated to be treated in such way...
We spent a certain amount of money for this dinner and all has been ruined by this poor attitude who is definitely not acceptable in our industry.
Thailand is living mostly by tourism and I felt also that a certain hostility against white people as no one came to see us during this meal from the management as it happened to the tables around us occupied by Asians.
By this review I really want to warn the valuable readers of Trip Advisor and future guests of Thang Long to think twice before to go there.

I had decided also to report this experience to the most authorities as well networks I can.
From my first working experience as well my common sense, I had learn to respect people especially guests who are afterall paying my salary and making my business healthy.

I presume that most probably the Management of Thang Long will not care about these comments however it is our duty of all of us to "punish" such people when they did not treat us as we should be.

3  Thank Chrisinasia

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The service here is very good. But when a kitchen produces every dish you order with in 5 minutes of it being ordered and its not very hot when it comes to the table you begin to think something is up.
None of our dishes tasted that bad but they all tasted as if they had been precooked and then warmed up for us.
Which when most of the dishes are fried doesn't work well.
Its a pity and maybe we just hit a bad night but i dont think I will rush back which is a shame as its a nice space with good service.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just arrived in bangkok, the decor grabbed our eye. Awesome cocktails, amazing roast pork. Definately worth it if your in the area.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This restaurant if one of my favorites places in Bangkok. The location is perfect to meet up with my friends who are around that area. There is always a good vibe there with trendy people. Music is chilled house. The dishes I normally order are the Fried Sicky Rice with Grilled Chicken and Pho with Moo Yor. Their wind selection is also good with moderate price. Highly recommend to anyone visiting Bangkok.

Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Our hotel sent us to the home kitchen next door but we chickened out and went to this more modern looking place. When we received our water, they brought a salad which we assumed was complimentary. Yeah right. It was on the bill. On pointing out that we didn't order it, they quickly took it off the bill. Food was fine, but just be careful with them seeking to add extra items on the bill.

1  Thank Goneway