“Great accommodation and neighborhood!”
Review of House by the Pond

House by the Pond
Ranked #412 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I highly recommend staying at House By The Pond next time you're in Bangkok, whether it's for a long or short stay. The rooms are spacious, well-furnished, with comfortable beds and a good price. The building is in a lovely neighborhood close to the BTS, which makes it easy to access all of the city, yet quiet enough with a garden setting that if you want to forget you're in Thailand's biggest city, you can easily hide away. I feel lucky to have found such a sweet spot that is family-run to offer respite from the hustle and bustle of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
9  Thank Jessica M B

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a very quiet hotel but only about 10 minutes walk (much less by taxi) from Sukhomovit. The rooms are nice- not modern but clean and reasonably well equipped. There is a big fridge and cooking facilities. It is really short term apartments which can be an advantage or disadvantage. The disadvantages are (particularly if you are not expecting that) there is no air conditioned lobby or lounge. There is no room cleaning service during the stay and they dont replace drinking water etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank kibbutznik_9
phuket230, Manager at House by the Pond, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

We do once a day cleaning of the room however if guest has no disturb sign on the door the maid won't go in to the room .

Reviewed June 6, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here one night in May. Clean, classical and comfortable rooms. The owners are a wonderful family that make you feel like home. Beautiful rooftop pool and incredible view of central Bangkok.
If you're looking for a unique place away from the tourists of Khao San Road consider House by the Pond and say hello to Sid.
Happy travels!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank JCKC12345
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I reserved a room for a month about 3 days prior to my arrival. I was arriving in the evening so was told to pick up the key from security. When I got there I was refused entry by the guard even though I had a written confirmation of the reservation with me.

Security was not cooperative and barred entry and refused any assistance. Treated me like a criminal trying to get in, peeking around the booth at me, and I suspect she thought it was funny. She did not offer a place for me to sit or even to watch my bags while I tried to find another place for the night in the area.

So, I stood in the street until I found a taxi and ended up having to haul my 50 lbs of gear around bkk by taxi trying to find a hotel after a long 17 hour flight and little sleep. This screwed up my living arrangements since most places you have to reserve a month block ahead of time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank idreamofjinn
phuket230, Manager at House by the Pond, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

We apologise for the inconvenience caused as the guard will only allowed
Guest with prepaid booking to check in to the room after reception office closed from 8
Pm to 7 am how ever if u let us know who you are and we have verify with our records
And if you are in Bangkok again we will give u a free two night
Stay

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here for an extended period in August and September 2012 with a baby. The positives were the location - Soi 22/2 extends from Soi 16 and has lots of taxis coming past that get back on to Sukhumvit along Soi 22 itself. A little scooter stand outside is very practical, especially with the Tesco and Foodland stores both very close by. We stayed in a 1 bedroom room at a rate approximately half of the other quotes for similar stays in the Sukhumvit Soi 11 - 49 area. And the internet was very fast. So we got what we paid for.

The shower didn't always work. The a/c units were old and noisy, the bed linen and towels etc. have been well used, the kitchen is equipped but only just and with old items. But then I'm not sure who actually does any cooking at home in Bangkok? The staff were attentive and responded to all our issues and the rooms were quiet and cleaned every day.

I don't have any issue to recommend it, especially for a longer stay. There better equipped and well maintained places, but for price value House by the Pond is a good option.

Room Tip: Check your a/c unit when you arrive, as to how noisy it is.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Maximobo
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

It was a furnished (in 70s wood decor) apartment. Lots of space, separate bedroom and a living room with tv and sofa. Good location and price. Staff are mostly working with long term stays. They aren't as available as most hotels. The roof top pool has views to die for. Reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Portland_OregonKelly
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had a really pleasant experience stay at House by the Pond. The staff were really lovely and seemed genuinely caring. There is a security guard on the premises who is always polite and helpful.
The room itself was massive. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment, so I had a large bedroom, lounge-room, bathroom and full kitchen.
The grounds are quite beautiful. The building is situated in a tropical jungle, which makes for a really nice contrast to the streets of Bangkok. When I looked out my window I saw trees and birds. The furnishes were older but quite charming.
I really liked the location. It is located in the middle of the soi and one direction will take you down to the Sukhumvit Road where you can catch a train or bus or walk to Emporium. In the other direction you get to Rama 4 and can walk to Tesco and even Klong Toei markets.
The only drawback was the gym. I would say don't even bother trying it out.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank mannequinmodel
phuket230, Manager at House by the Pond, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and your kind
Positive review as regard to the gym we are as of 5 April 13
Have started to renovate it and shall post photo of it soon and
We hope next time you are back it should be ready for your use